• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Old P4 systems, both give "Overclock failed" on boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

[edit] Figured out it was one of the CD-rom units that I was using was causing the problem. Although it works fine, it seems to cause problems during boot up for the bios. Always the simplest things...:rain: [/edit]

I have two old P4 systems and both are having trouble booting up. They both give the same exact error, that the "Overclock has failed", "Press F1 to enter Setup, F2 to use Default settings". These are errors that would normally occur when the bios battery voltage is too low, but each has had the battery changed for a brand new one. When I try to use the F1 option and Save Settings, they fail to reboot. I have to hard reset the PC, and its the same deal again. I can F1 and choose the Forget changes and exit option and it'll continue to boot like normal, but this is a roundabout way of getting the PC to boot. Also, for some strange reason, on bootup the bios fails to detect the CD-rom drive on the primary port, yet finds it just fine if I go into bios and choose detect. I'm scratching my head over these errors as there should be no reason these problems should be happening, other then the hardware may be too old and have some corrupted ICs (no bulging or leaking caps that I can see on either board). Any ideas? :confused:

Last edited:
Back