• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old school advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarod A

Registered
My old mobo died a few days ago... So chasing advice on ddr2 am2+/am3 mobo to have some fun on while I gather the gear for a coffee lake build.... I like the ga-ma790x-ds4.... But 80c nbridge temps out of the box????? Not good.... Anyone recommend a good option for oc'ing fun? Chip is 64 x2 5200+ Windsor 2.4ghz..... But I might grab an am3 to play with if it's cheap.... Thanks!

I use a 790x-UD4P.
Your 80c NB temp is ridiculous. There's something wrong there.
My UD4P never hits 50c.

Thanks for the reply and advice Mr Scott....... That was a typo.... Was meant to be 790x-ds4.... The newegg reviews for that board were very scary.... One guy nearly burnt down his house!.... The ud4p looks exactly what I am chasing, thank you!

Jarod I own a GA-MA790FX-DS5 which looks like it's only a DS4 with added heatsinks. The board holds up pretty well for my benching sessions. Unless, you're looking to get every bit of overclocking out of the chip you're playing with. Add a fan to the power sections of the DS4 and you shouldn't have any issues. If you're looking to go extreme, then Scotty's board may be a better bet.

Depending what you do with the board, even the stout VRM boards will say lights out. I've blown the mosfets out of 3 UD4P's now. Looking for another back up for the one I have left. :D

A big thank you to all the guys who took the time to help me with my ancient tech!!!!! .... Its not for most, but I'm loving getting a bit of fun and a lot of learning out of a machine that I probably should have thrown out a few years ago.... The best I've seen is Scotty's board, so I'm going that route.... A bit pricey once I freight it to Australia (that adds $75) , but hey... It's still pretty cheap..... For some reason I got bounced from Blaylock's link.... I am logged in, but it says I don't have the authority to access that page, but I've been researching every day for a better option than Scotty's without success, so i'm gonna say that's the best choice for what I want. Thanks again for the welcome, I am stoked to find a friendly and helpful forum like this!!!!

Maybe because it's a closed thread now. Not sure but here's a screenshot of the boards recommended.

Screenshot_20171024-224024.png

Thank you very much, I will check those out when I get home tonight!

I've owned all three of these, all seem to be decent for my needs. Admittedly, I like the Gigabyte one's better though, just because I'm more familiar with their BIOS layout.

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P
Asus M4A79 Deluxe

That's spooky funny lol..... They were my top 3 picks from the list Blaylock posted. !. UD5P 2. Either UD4P or M4A79..... 4. 790FX-DQ6 5.UD3P....... The only ones for sale out of that list atm are UD4P with Phenom x4 945 chip for Au$156+$75 postage or 790FX-DQ6 motherboard only(supposedly brand new???) for $130+$75 post, both ebay.....dunno if I should wait to see if a UD5P comes up for that price.......

My first "good" AM2(+) board was an ASUS M379=T Deluxe. Ran that pretty hard until the board delaminated at the VRM section and forced me to retire it. My current AM2(+)/AM3 board is a Giga GA-MA 790X-UD4P with a volt mod. I bought this thing used from XXSuperBGXX back when he was still a captain of the OCF benching team. Lets just say what ever torture I've put it through I'm sure he has done twice. She has been a beast for me and all this talk has made me want to dust her off. LOL

Ok, totally off topic, but I'm looking around in Australia for ud5p/ud4p and I come across a computer for sale..... cooler master tower case, asrock z68 extreme4 gen3, antec 620w high current gamer,corsair 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, intel celeron(probably sandy bridge, but dont know), blue ray dvd, 1.5tb hdd, 22" monitor,keyboard, mouse,win10...... $220 au $..... That seems a good price just to get the case and psu...... Should I buy this? ... I could slot that ud4p right in there for a happy new home (if I can find one!)......

OK, I bought this lol....... The case and psu are perfect for what I'm gonna call my first build.... next ds4 or 5p board...... next Kraken x62 cooler @ $250au$ with free delivery (The first component of my coffee lake build in six months or so).... won't hurt it to waste some of it's hours on this setup for some fun...... Then research, research and more i'm guessing, given that I'm brand new to this and I might be the one responsible for the death of my old board trying too much without a clue of what I'm doing lol..... there is a russian guy on you tube claiming 4.5ghz out of my athalon 64 x2 5200+.... i'm presuming that's bull****, but I'm gonna love finding out what might cook first on that setup trying! I don't know if there's somewhere to post ddr2 stuff given almost everyone is over it ages ago, but Im hoping maybe at least Scotty will be interested in what I come up with in a few weeks when finances allow that! Thanks again to Blaylock and scotty in particular, but to all who responded as well..... there is no doubt that I've gotten the best ddr2 tech advice you can get explained simply..... Brilliant guys..... I am looking forward to posting what happens with new school cooling + that setup!!!!

I would agree with you that the guy is full of something. The highest clock recorded on hwbot for a 5200+ is 4.145Ghz and that is with LN2 for cooling. so 4.5Ghz is highly suspect.

There's plenty of info on DDR2 in the memory section and if you have troubles don't hesitate to post. There are plenty of us here that still tinker around with some older gear.

I would agree with you that the guy is full of something. The highest clock recorded on hwbot for a 5200+ is 4.145Ghz and that is with LN2 for cooling. so 4.5Ghz is highly suspect.

There's plenty of info on DDR2 in the memory section and if you have troubles don't hesitate to post. There are plenty of us here that still tinker around with some older gear.
There is 2 different Athlon 5200 Blaylock the top K10 Athlon II X2 is 4500 Mhz though it still is a suspect number.

Back