• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Oldie" But goodie, part 3! What to replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Hi all! I have a great computer that's been running almost everything I've thrown at it for the past couple years at high settings. Recently I've been having to clock the graphics down a bit to low/medium to run at 144 FPS (Got a 144hz ASUS Monitor). However, I'm trying to see if there are any upgrades ($500 total or under) that I can do to really bump up my computers power without causing any substantial bottle necks.

Not really looking to build a completely new computer. I'd really rather just upgrade this rig as it's still smooth sailing.

If there is anything that really stands out that may be bottle necking/ underwhelming my setup, please let me know. Or if there are any suggestions to replace/ upgrade that will substantially boost my overall computer's performance please suggest away! Thank you!

Current setup:
Windows 10 x64
2x Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 256GB in RAID 0 (OS + primary games)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 4GB
Intel i5-4670K @ 4.3GHz, EVO cooler
16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series RAM
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA1150
WD Blue 1TB (data + secondary games)
Rosewill 630 Watt Green Series Power Supply

Things I've done since my last post:
-As per the suggestions of you awesome guys here, I've purchased and EVO 212 cooler and OC'd my 4670K to 4.3 GHZ. It's been running great for the past 8 months at 4.3 GHZ.
-I've also upped my RAM from 8GB to 16GB
-I also got a new 144hz GPU and am really struggling to hit 144 FPS in my games now with my current rig without turning off all graphic settings and running on LOW. I'm assuming it's the GPU and should upgrade that.
-RAID 0 2x SSDs together :) for fun

What do you guys think?

Honestly just upgrade the GPU to a 1070 and call it a day. Your i5 4670k is perfectly capable still.

A 1080 should carry you into your next build with ease. :thup:

Great! Price wise... if I can't get the 1080 from my friend, I might get a 1060. Is that still underwhelming vs the 1070 to balance out with the rest of my build? Does the 1070 compliment the power of the rest of the PC better?

For a 144hz monitor I think you'd be better served with a 1070. A 1060 would still be a good improvement over your 760 but your budget a 1070 or 1080 would be better.

For a 144hz monitor I think you'd be better served with a 1070. A 1060 would still be a good improvement over your 760 but your budget a 1070 or 1080 would be better.

Perfect. I know what I'm going to do then! Thanks!

Back