• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG was playing crysis, i herd a pop sound and my computer turned off....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check the PSU first, then and caps and mofs. CPU will fry I never heard of one popping and now days everything has an auto kill to prevent the CPU from dieing.

i jus opened the case the cpu market cooler was pretty hot but it hard to take off i think its the psu, im too scared to try and turn it on, i jus hope it aint the processor guys seriiouly, do you guys think i hud get the cpu out and if it is the cpu will it be melted

I have cooked plenty of procs and unless you were throwing 30v to it I doubt anything will be melted.

Stop panicking.

Put your honker (nose) by the PSU intake/exhuast does it smelled charred? Then its likely the PSU. If you cant tell look at the motherboard for bulging caps and charr marks.

The CPU wont be melted...

Try turning it back on if you dont see or smell anything. If its broke it wont be 'more broke' by attempting to turn it on.

ok well got the cpu out looks normal too me, tried turnin computer on does not turn on, yes mate i smelt cpu cooler smells ok, i smelt my psu it smells burnt, how cud tht b possibleguys its 500 watts tho, if my cpu looks normal do u guys think its ok then? soz bout acting weird im so worried!

ok well got the cpu out looks normal too me, tried turnin computer on does not turn on, yes mate i smelt cpu cooler smells ok, i smelt my psu it smells burnt, how cud tht b possibleguys its 500 watts tho, if my cpu looks normal do u guys think its ok then? soz bout acting weird im so worried!

it seems like your cpu is fine.. dont worry.. just buy a new PSU and go back to play crysis

What PSU do you have? Brand?

It would be VERY helpful to create a signature so we can just glance and see. I was going to look through past threads but you create a holy ton of them!!! :)

just cause its 500 doesnt mean its a good one. could be 2000 if i made it,... its gonna die.

only way to really test it is to get another PSU and hook it up and see what happens. if it works Sweet, if not take everything off and try just the mb, then add one thing at a time till you find the bad guy.

ok errm my cpu = amd phenom II 720 BE at 3.2 ghz
hard drisk is western digital 500 gb
motherboard is new bought it few days ago ga785gm-us2h gigabyte
psu is well it came with the case i bought it says on the PSU ATX-500, 500 watts,
the cpu cooler is artic freezer pro

i think i myt get a 650 or 700 watt psu now!!!!!

psu is well it came with the case i bought it says on the PSU ATX-500, 500 watts,

Enough said. Unless it was an Antec case and PSU, there is a 95% chance the PSU is garbage. If it was RAIDMAX...I'll cry for you.

Since I am the optimal pessimist. If the PSU went pop it could have fried everything that was plugged into it worse case. That is why good PSU's are a requirement.

Ok, what videocard do you have??????

You dont need that much wattage bro, you just need a NAME BRAND PSU. Corsair 550VX would easily run what you have unless you were rocking some dual GPU video card or crossfirex/sli.

i have an ati 3870 radeon card, i juse hope the psu did not wipe out the rest of the components

yeah you mentioned that...I hope not as well. Only way to find out is to buy a proper PSU for your system.

I really hope not as well, but someone on here just lost four SSD drives when that happened and their cClassified was acting hokey afterwards.

Personally I have been VERY lucky. Believe it or not, I lost a Corsair HX520 and HX620 and the only thing I lost when the both stunk the place up was a fan channel and two temp channels on my fan controller.

BUT that was with a name brand PSU with good OVP and other measures.

OP just has to test it and find out...We will cross our fingers for you dude.

Back