• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG was playing crysis, i herd a pop sound and my computer turned off....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol ive created a signature now...i relli dont care about nothing but the cpu an the motherboard if they are fine, im cool lol

CPU will almost certainly be fine.
Motherboard it's hard to say.

That pop you heard was most likely a capacitor exploding in the PSU, hence the burnt small.
Antec is the only outfit that puts PSUs into cases before selling them that uses halfway decent PSUs.
Most are garbage at best.

There's a reason that when suggesting builds to other people these days, I routinely suggest power supplies that cost more than their CPU or motherboard often does... sounds like the "500W" (actually probably a relabeled 350W) power supply couldn't hack the load you were giving it with heavy software.

Do yourself a favor and check these:
Antec EarthWatts 430
Antec EarthWatts 650
Corsair 550VX
Corsair 650TX
Seasonic SS-500ET

The 650W units are really only necessary if you're going to be putting another 3870 or really upping the ante with something like a GTX 285 or HD 58xx card... the others are all enough for your current system, with some room to spare.

Enough said. Unless it was an Antec case and PSU, there is a 95% chance the PSU is garbage. If it was RAIDMAX...I'll cry for you.

Since I am the optimal pessimist. If the PSU went pop it could have fried everything that was plugged into it worse case. That is why good PSU's are a requirement.

Raidmax 380 cost me most of a system in the socket A days....

i've never had a PSU crap out on me and i know i stress mine.
it sounds like the fake 500 watt psu was taxed way over what it could handle, my guess is the system sucked more amps than it could supply and pop, i've had car components do that.

one thing though to get better help would be type like a normal human being and not an internet tween that types strange words because its "easier"

The easiest way to tell if a PSU is good or bad:

Pick up your aftermarket CPU heatsink with your off hand
Pick up your PSU with the other hand

If the heatsink weighs more than the PSU get another PSU ... :p

LMAO So true.

Of course even cheap PSUs don't feel like coffee cans anymore.

Actually pick up your PSU with one hand and throw it. Take a Corsair PSU in the other and install it in the case.

The only time I ever had problems with my psu was when I shorted a peripheral plug to my case on accident and got the pop. I thought it was my motherboard, but when I inspected it came out to be the psu. Thank god for short circuit protection! Everyone now adays (that has any computer knowledge at all) will tell you not to skimp on the psu and this is exactly why; one mess up or pop can take your whole system down with it. I would go for a corsair unit, 650-750 will do just fine for future proofing.

My old Epower 550w (30a 12v) weighed almost twice what my corsair 400CX (30a 12v) does. Huuuuuuuge heatsinks.

I just took the time to recover a password to a forum account that I haven't used in over 3 years to say this:

In March of 2004, while playing FarCry, my computer actually burst into flame. Flames and pieces of plastic shot out of the side of the computer. Fortunately the case had been removed and the computer sat on the desk next to me, or else I wouldn't have noticed it immediately.

Search the Abit forums if you care. I made a post about somewhere.

Inspect your motherboard and video card for scorch makes. Also, tell the story at parties. You'll get all the chicks.

abit forums where?
mother board by maker doesent occur any more, Abit is no longer in business

abit forums where?
mother board by maker doesent occur any more, Abit is no longer in business

That's no surprise to me. The post you're looking for is 5.5 years old. The motherboard was an old NF7-S v2.0, and the thing that exploded/flamed out was a voltage regulator near the AGP slot.

Ah, computers.

Edit: found it on this forum:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=276342

Last edited:
I am going to say that this is possibly some how related to your motherboard stand off issue that u posted about in one of your other 15 threads u having going in this section.....And he said smell the PSU not ur heatsink...luls REALY MAN, how old r u? ur lvl of common sense on a scale of 1-10 from what i gather from your posts (at least computer knowledge) is about .5....u need to sit down and do some reading of general computer installation and overclocking guides, it would only help your cause A LOT (did i say A LOT i ment would bring u out of the dark-ages)

Srry if i come across rude, but man....lol all i have 2 say (i know we all start somewhere but most ppl take it upon themselves to learn about the hardware they r using)

Duke

i think i had my motherboard in wrong as it was tocuhing the metal casing within the case that y when i unscrewed and loosened it it worked lol and two days later the psu bust lol im jus gonna take it to a professional guy or watever

Back