• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

once in a lifetime opportunity, plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we can agree to disagree on some stuff. but FB-DIMMS do rather suck and ECC isn't realy made for desktops. i do actually prefer LCDs as there have been studies that show dramatic differences between how your eye reacts. LCDs are much easier, visual quality is so close on the latest models that it's becoming a tough battle for CRTs to remain on top in quality comparisons. but that's a matter of opinion of course. i see some of the points but i can't see paying 200% to 400% more for only like a small difference in reality (case materials? airplane fans? 16 cores?)

btw i'm still laughing about 700CFM ROFLCOPTER.

hey, i'm not making that 700 CFM fan up. It goes at 65 DBa, at 48 volt, and you could undervolt it to a minimum of 28 volt I think, it could be reasonably quiet at that voltage. I can think of at least two projects that use that sucker, project blu and the chrome goat.
And I only mentioned 4 cores! thats only double of the two cores alot of people have now! :p

Lol, ok girls. Enough!!! :p Naw, oxid was just having fun. Granted he should have been trying to give some serious advice. I do like the idea of the titanium case though :)

Anyways, this is what i think you should get.

Fastest proc at the time of order, whether its AMD or Intel
Best MB you can find
Quad sli w/out wcing. Or with it if you can find a way. You wont need to OC those badboys to get some sick performance out of them.
OCZ 1kw PSU
4 gigs of ram
The best Soundcard you can find
2 raptors in raid-0, 2-300g+ Hd's in raid 0 plus another 500gb or something for backup.
Def need to go phase cooling
Then getting a case that can support 3 or more 120mm fans. One for front, back, and maybe 2 or more for the top to help dissapate heat from the GPU's. Also maybe one side fan to blow on them as well.

Then most def the Dell 30'
All of this should be around 7-8k i would think. Save the next 4000 for upgrades for the future.

WheaT

Steamroller said:
Omg this is getting to be too damn funny. If you have a second check this out on toms hardware. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/lifetime-opportunity-12-000-budget-Mas-200-ftopict180721.html

OMG what a bunch of..... ( I could state a full on rant but they are not worth even a moment of my life that it would take to write it). Anyway no sense going back to that flame fest. Hang here where it is a whole lot cooler (In every sense).

Hell I dropped about 6 Large myself in the past year. I will probably drop another 4 by the end of the year.

Steamroller said:
What do you think of this ??? http://www.melcor.com/maa1200.html

TEC case?? do you have a link by chance for me? please....

I want to get started on the case next month if I can...
I was talking about a peltier right on the CPU, with the peltier cooled by the WC loop. that way you have little insulating to do, as opposed to getting an AC. If you watercool your videocard and CPU, you won't see any difference if you aircondition your case.
the simplest thing to do would be to slap a peltier right on the cpu (http://www.frozencpu.com/exp-01.html) and cool it with a watercooling loop that also cools your videocard, and just get two or more fans in the case for heat that the HD, NB and other components generate.

If you want to use phase change on your CPU, you have an external box you need to dump somewhere, you got your videocard(s) to cool, and alot more clutter then a simple WC loop with peltier, and a peltier will give sub zero temps on your cpu too.

just to agree on how stupid it is to spend 12k that way:
In 30 years, that'll be worth a lot more, and trying to save that much money in 30 years, or what it will be worth is almost impossible...
but yeah, I'd have a hard time not buying a nice compie too!
sorry, no suggestions though
**edit**
If I did have the oportunity to do such a thing, I would budget a few K for the computer, and then just go all out on cooling. There are always parts to be upgraded, and a few years, it'll be worth a little bit less (now a days prices arnt dropping as fast, I bought a 2800+ Barton core almost 3 years ago for almost the same price it is at now).
I'd blow a lot on cooling, maybe a custom set, to get 100 C below; and either build it myself, or get a pro to help out and do it. The cooling would last, while the parts would eventually be caught up to....

Last edited:
dz_jad said:
just to agree on how stupid it is to spend 12k that way:
In 30 years, that'll be worth a lot more, and trying to save that much money in 30 years, or what it will be worth is almost impossible...
but yeah, I'd have a hard time not buying a nice compie too!
sorry, no suggestions though
**edit**
If I did have the oportunity to do such a thing, I would budget a few K for the computer, and then just go all out on cooling. There are always parts to be upgraded, and a few years, it'll be worth a little bit less (now a days prices arnt dropping as fast, I bought a 2800+ Barton core almost 3 years ago for almost the same price it is at now).
I'd blow a lot on cooling, maybe a custom set, to get 100 C below; and either build it myself, or get a pro to help out and do it. The cooling would last, while the parts would eventually be caught up to....

I have to agree with you on the cooling part. I dropped a lot of money on cooling and building a case (see project in sig) that will last me for many builds to come.

Burdman27911 said:
Waiting until the end of the year isn't really a bad thing (I've gotta do it too), For the Intel side of things Conroe is coming out and it's looking very promising. AMD will have the socket AM2 out for 6mo by that point too, so at the very least there will be new better options.

6 months is about right...insiders are now saying it will be available june 6 06...

Last edited:
sorry for off topic but steamroller, how does your wife like the Air Force, I'm seriously considering enlisting myself

On topic, isn't Nvidia sopposed to come out with quad sli support here soon? If I were you I would wait then get 4 7900Gt's or whatever is the highest thing out by then.

Man, those guys at Tom's don't have the bug most of us have caught, do they? :p Man, whatever the system you get, just make sure you research everything to the t. That thing's gonna be sick, and oxid, you're crazy about those fans, that could blow his mobo straight out the other side of the case ;)

I said, I'm not making them up! go to the project log and look for project: blu and the chrome goat, they both use that blower. There also was another one but I can't find it.
it undervolts really well and they say it's pretty quiet when undervolted and still blows a crapload of air...

intresting thing happend today haha, i read your post in toms steamroller and i check this out right after :) yeah, those people at toms are as bout as childish as kindergardeners fighting over a toy when there is a chest full of them to play with

This case will take a Long time to work on so probably DX786 will be out.

Oh and BTW. Wife is happy with the Air Force. She ******* about the usual work stuff as with any job, but the benefits outweigh the cons of the job. The best answer I can give you; she is planning to stay in for the full 20 years. ;) retired at age 39 lucky her.

SR. I didn't see anyone mention it, but I'd definately go with a Dell 30" LCD. Either that or... *gasp* twin 24" monitors. holy crap dude i'm humpin my desk just thinking about it.

Back