• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

once in a lifetime opportunity, plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After some thought, I think I'd go a different route.
I'd get a dozen of the DFI LanParty nf3 mobo's w/max processor and ram, and cluster them into a main workstation that has SLI and all those bells and whistles.
For a monitor I'd get a very nice computer projector and screen to make the display any size I want (HD too of course).
Server 2003 does clustering, so does some Linux distros. Then you wouldn't even need to run special programs to absolutely fly for years and years to come.

Throw all that in an enclosed rackmount with two feed tubes into and out of a window air conditioner for cooling (they got 18K btu units).

The local college will be calling to rent time on your personal super computer. :D

ƒÓÒl said:
After some thought, I think I'd go a different route.
I'd get a dozen of the DFI LanParty nf3 mobo's w/max processor and ram, and cluster them into a main workstation that has SLI and all those bells and whistles.
For a monitor I'd get a very nice computer projector and screen to make the display any size I want (HD too of course).
Server 2003 does clustering, so does some Linux distros. Then you wouldn't even need to run special programs to absolutely fly for years and years to come.

Throw all that in an enclosed rackmount with two feed tubes into and out of a window air conditioner for cooling (they got 18K btu units).

The local college will be calling to rent time on your personal super computer. :D

as his need to pay for the 500+ dollar/month electric bill :p

I'd definitely go the SMP route. This motherboard would allow you enough headroom to keep going for a while...up to 8 cores, 32 DIMM sockets, 4 PCIe x16 slots (sorry, no SLI, but imagine an 8-monitor LCD array with 2 of these ).

The MB is OEM-only for now, but I'd be willing to bet that it will be widely available in 6 months time.

**Addendum:

Just visited the THG forum link you provided...what a bunch of judgemental jerks. It's as if you asked them to critique your lifestyle and relationships...But then again, what would you expect from a group which can't even spell FORUMS correctly... ;)

Last edited:
Back