• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One drive falls out of raid? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikliomve

Hi all and thanks in advance. So I was trying some OC'ing and then I had to reset my CMOS because my system wasn't posting at all.

I originally had my 2 drives in Raid-0, now after resetting CMOS, in the raid setup, it says one of my drives is not in raid anymore and I cannot boot into windows. In setup it says if I want to delete the raid array I will lose ALL of my information but I don't want that. I've got about 150 gigs of information I don't want to lose.

First of all, how did this even happen just by resetting CMOS? Secondly, what can I do to preserve all of my information?

Thank you all in advance.

Oh the motherboard is Gigabyte DS3 and the raid controller is the GRAID controller on the board. two seagate 160g hds

:welcome: to the forums.

It sounds like when you reset the cmos you may have reset your raid controller to disabled.

When you first setup your machine did you have to enable raid in the bios?

Try to go back into the raid software and see if there are any options or info on the raid.

Most times when a Raid 0 breaks or loses a drive its unrecoverable.

By clearing CMOS, you'll have to recreate the RAID array and the data should still be there if that's the only reason the array is broken. If you haven't changed anything phyiscally with the drives, swapped ports, etc, you should be fine. Otherwise, you'd never be able to update your BIOS with a onboard RAID setup, and that's just not the case.

tuskenraider-

to recreate the raid array i have to delete the exisiting array correct? since one of the drives has "fallen" out of the array.

And If i delete the array, won't i lose all of my information?

CGR- after i reset cmos, i changed all my settings back to normal. everything seems to be fine now just that in the raid control, it states :

HDD0: NON-RAID
HDD1: RAID INSIDE

RAID DRIVE LIST:

RDD0:GRAID 0-STRIPE 320GB FAILED ?1

If you delete the array, you will almost certainly lose the data. I'm obviously not familiar with every RAID chipset's setup and ideosyncracies, but I'm not sure why is sees one drive as part of a RAID array that seems to have failed. Do you have to select each port in the BIOS to be part of a RAID array like I need to for my NF4 and have done so if needed? Can you go into the RAID BIOS and create an array with the drives without having to delete anything?

What is that GRaid controller is ? For sure its not ICHxR since DS3 doesn't have one.

CGR- no there are no options to resync or remount.

tusken- the only options on raid bios are to create array, delete array, convert to non raid, solve mirror conflict, rebuild mirror.

and none of the solve mirror options work.

if i convert to non raid, same thing, lose all of my information. is it possible to pull out the two drives, put them in another computer with a working OS, and copy the information to another drive?

I read on another post that someone reccomended using norton ghost? how would that work?

ikliomve said:
tusken- the only options on raid bios are to create array, delete array, convert to non raid, solve mirror conflict, rebuild mirror.

I read on another post that someone reccomended using norton ghost? how would that work?
Well just recreate the array then, making sure you use the same stripe size as before because your best chance to get it up and running is on the controller that created the array. It really should be that simple, and is your best option, but there are no guarantees since I can't explain the whole NONRAID, RAID INSIDE issue. Resync, remount, remirror are all options for RAID1, not 0. As for Ghost, too late for that. A backup should Nohave been done when you first had your RAID0 up and running, and is for these exact types of situations. Anyone running their system on a RAID0 setup should have a backup of it on another drive if they can't afford to lose data on it. Good luck.

Back