• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only 3.1 on a 2.8 M0 Stepping? eh? (Quake3 Artifacts @225FSB? - From CPU Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pedwar

Registered
Only 3.1 on a 2.8 M0 Stepping? eh? (Quake3 Artifacts @225FSB? - From CPU Overclocking

Hi all,

Quick question for you.

If I run the below system at 225 FSB 1:1 Ratio with the RAM at 3,3,7,3 (this RAM is supposed to hit 250 FSB at those timings) the system runs fine, Doom 3 runs fine, Need For Speed 2 Underground, 3DMark 2001 for hours on end. (Even Memtest86 will loop for hours)

But... When I run Quake 3, or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City I get Artifacting? Even slightly in the Quake menus. Dropping to 215 FSB (1:1 again) it goes away.. Also if I run at 225 FSB but with the 5:4 ratio on, it does away.. (almost suggesting the RAM? but that doesn't make sense as this RAM tests fine and will even run at 215 FSB at 2,2,5,2 (as rated)

I've upped the DDR Voltage to 2.95v (from 2.8) and it's still there..

My AGP Voltage is 1.55 Normally, so I upped this to 1.6v and still artifacting at 225 FSB

and the CPU Core is currently at 1.6v (from 1.525v) still the same :bang head

(For all tests above the graphics card is a 'default' ATI Speeds.)

Even up to 230FSB the system runs fine, just the artifacting in Quake 3 etc. gets worse, Doom 3 is fine and the system never crashes?!? (I've heard if anything will crash a PC or show weakness it's something like Doom 3 or NFS:U2 not an old game like Quake 3 :) ) and I always though artifacting/ flickering textures was to do with a graphics card overclocking problem not the CPU?

Any ideas anyone? I was hoping to hit 250FSB with this system.

Temperature isn't a problem as the system has lots of nice 92mm fans now and a new heatsink (plus sinks on the MOSFETs).

Any advice appreciated :)

Thanks,

While memory or cpu instability can cause this, the fact that you mention it happens even in the menus on Q3 makes it sound like video card (flakey memory on it). Even so it could still be the ram. If I run too agressive of timings or GAT on my AI7 it will artifact in Q3. I would change video cards just to prove it is not video card related, and assuming it made no difference, start changing things to figure out what settings or component is unstable.

Hi Larva,

Thanks for the quick reply to my problems once more..

I've been having a fiddle around with my system testing various components and I've narrowed it down to a RAM swap?

I just put the old Samsung RAM back in there that I was using last time we spoke about overclocking my machine. (Samsung OEM 2x512MB PC3200 CL3 @ 3-3-8-3 2.65v)

With leaving all settings the same (apart from the DDR voltage of course) the artifacting at 225 FSB is gone (this is that ram that won't go past 225 FSB)

GAT is set to: Auto, Auto, Auto, Disable, Disable

I tried the Corsair RAM back in there but this time in slots 2 & 4 (as I've heard sometimes people have different results with different slots on AI7s & other Motherboards) but the results were the same (if not worse)

Timings were still set well below the SPD of 2,2,5,2 (they were at 3,3,8,3 still) and the GAT settings the same.

This RAM happily runs 2,2,5,2 at 215 FSB, strange.

I even upped the FSB today to 230Mhz (still artifacts in Q3 menus etc.) and looped Memtest with the Corsair over 20 times without a single error?

What are your thoughts? Strange that this RAM will overclock faster than the Samsung without error (apart from artifacting) Are the GAT settings detecting something different with these Corsair sticks? I tried changing the settings to 'Street', 'Normal' then the highest latency setting on the next item (is it 12?) but the system failed to boot after this. I've just got to go and clear the CMOS in a moment.

Thanks for your help.

In case you're interested.. this is what I'm talking about on the Q3 menu.

EDIT: I can't seem to get 225Mhz FSB without artifacting on this RAM, so just tried the 5:4 Ratio with 250FSB (fastest I've been on this CPU) initially for now I've put the CPU voltage to 1.575v (form 1.525), RAM latencys are 2-2-5-2 it seems comfy for now and I've just had 70fps on Timedemo 1 on Doom 3 (800x600 - Medium Graphics) which is my highest yet :D

I'll have to do some stress testing though. It's still bugging me that this RAM won't do 1:1 at 225 though.

I might try for 260 FSB next :)

Attachments

• Q3_Corsair.jpg
    Q3_Corsair.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Try enabling the GAT (first setting Turbo, SR, or F1, prob SR) and leave it in 5:4 mode with the 2-2-2-5 timings. That is just as fast at 250 fsb as running 1:1 w/ little to no GAT and lesser timings. I don't know why your ram won't tolerate more clock, (this is TCCD isn't it?) but it doesn't really matter. The 5:4 mode is just as good as it allows you the GAT and timings you so often compromise in the pursuit of higher memory clock. GAT and timings matter more than memory clock (within limits).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure these modules are TCCD, a few details I've found do say this

(such as this one:

LegitReviews gives the Editor's Choice to Corsair XMS 3200XL Memory

"My old PC-3200 Winbond BH-5 modules couldn't run 506MHz at 2.5-3-3-6: 1T timings! Bravo to Corsair for being the first to notice that the Samsung TCCD ICs are something special and putting them to market! Once again Corsair proves why they are a leader in the performance memory market! I highly recommend Corsair's XMS 3200XL memory for anyone looking to build or upgrade a performance system! )

I'll give some of the GAT settings a go at 200 - 210FSB (at 2-2-5-2) I haven't had much luck with these, I've always found that the system won't post with anything other than A, A, A, D, D (with either set of RAM).

Does it matter if you have the timings set to SPD (which is 2-2-5-2 for me) or Manually to these settings?

UPDATE: I just got 260Mhz FSB 5:4 with the SPD Timings :D, I did have to raise the Core voltage from 1.575 to 1.625 though as the machine hung (and still does occasionally) CPU still only reaches 51c with the PWM at 61c after running two instances of 'CPU Burn-In' at the same time for 20mins. Does this voltage on air sound safe? Should I push higher or just be happy with 250 FSB

Last edited:
I'd get some air on the mosfets (PWM).
Download prime95, install it twice in two dir's eg

C:\Program Files\Prime95 - 1
C:\Program Files\Prime95 - 2

run them both, and start a 'max heat' test on both. Run for around 12 hours, no errors and no freezing... you have a stable overclock.

Enjoy your OC.

pedwar said:
I'll give some of the GAT settings a go at 200 - 210FSB (at 2-2-5-2) I haven't had much luck with these, I've always found that the system won't post with anything other than A, A, A, D, D (with either set of RAM).
The first setting of Auto disables GAT. You must run Turbo, SR, or F1 to enable it. It is a big deal to memory performance, and BH5 will do F1 in 1:1 mode or SR in 5:4 mode on the AI7 at sane memory clocks.

pedwar said:
Does it matter if you have the timings set to SPD (which is 2-2-5-2 for me) or Manually to these settings?
Only in that if you set them manually you know they are right.

pedwar said:
UPDATE: I just got 260Mhz FSB 5:4 with the SPD Timings :D, I did have to raise the Core voltage from 1.575 to 1.625 though as the machine hung (and still does occasionally) CPU still only reaches 51c with the PWM at 61c after running two instances of 'CPU Burn-In' at the same time for 20mins. Does this voltage on air sound safe? Should I push higher or just be happy with 250 FSB
I don't worry until I get to 1.7V on Northwoods. Sorry, I just don't believe in the boogieman.

My 2.8c has potential at 260fsb, but is a lot happier at 250fsb. Your ram funkyness likely precludes anything beyond 250fsb, anyway. Need to find out why GAT won't work-it is a symptom of an actual OC limitation.

Ok, thanks for that.

It has been running Memtest all day without a problem so far, and I'm now running SR, A, A, D, D (@ 2-2-5-2)

FSB is at 250Mhz, CPU voltage at 1.6v (5:4 Ratio) and no artifacts in Quake 3. :eh?:

I seem to be able to push 220Mhz FSB at 1:1 (with GAT disabled too) before I start showing artifacts (and that's the same with timings lowered to 3-3-7-3 which this RAM should easily do 250Mhz on let alone 220Mhz :) )

Weird isn't it?

(NOTE: All test above were with DDR Voltage at 2.8v and AGP at 1.55v)

Quite pleased I can now run GAT with this new RAM and these settings, but those artifacts still confuse me. Doesn't really make sense how I can push the RAM in other ways and it's fine, and using other games, higher than 225Mhz at 1:1.. Most Bizzare...

Haven't tried F1 at 2-2-5-2, 2.8v 200FSB. I was going to try and benchmark 260FSB with the SR settings to see what I get.. (Think I might need 1.65v at least) I'll keep an eye on the temps and won't push past 1.7 for now.

I'll give the dual install of Prime95 a go too.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back