• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operation Banana: SETI Tsunami

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

USS%20Poo%20FlingerOB.jpg

After some technical issues (no internet all morning :mad:) I can report that
the USS Poo Flinger has arrived at UFO Archipelago to aid in the search for
those aliens that have been sabotaging the SETI servers.
We are here for 3 days so crunch hard :salute:
Updates will now be on a 24 hour basis since we are using individual user names.

You probably noticed that BOINC gives you a bunch of work units, when you first join the project. That is your "cache" of work units (pronounced "cash", not cachet), and you can adjust it's size, in BOINC Manager.

For now, you should press the "no new tasks" button on the left hand side of the SETI project, when it is selected in the advanced window.

The BOINC Manager will then look like this (in advanced view, of course):

BOINCManager2.PNG

Showing "No new tasks", for SETI. The "No New Tasks" button will change to "Allow New Tasks".

Your cache of work units may take longer than 3 days to complete, but try to finish them. There is a big difference between the time it takes a GPU unit to fold a SETI wu, and the time it takes a CPU, (GPU's are much faster), so adjust accordingly.

When our help here is done, and the USS Poo Flinger has made it's next port of call, keep this "No New Tasks" button handy as Rosetta's work units begin to load up.

Right now, Rosetta has very large work units - they take a long time to crunch, and they require a lot of RAM - more than 1/2GB of RAM. As the work units begin to load up, press the "No New Tasks" button, after you have just one screen's worth (about 40) work units. That will take about a week to fold just those 40 work units.

BOINC Manager makes it VERY easy to crunch on multiple projects at the same time, by alternating between projects you are joined to, approximately every hour. When we start Rosetta's thank you, you can still finish up SETI's work units. Indeed, BOINC Manager will automatically do this, by default.

If you forget to press the "No New Tasks" button, you will be given a large cache of work units for Rosetta, and you won't be able to complete them in a week. Try to avoid that. You can't use a GPU in Rosetta, so crunching SETI on your GPU while your CPU crunches Rosetta, is a good combo! :thup:

P.S. I always try and crunch a bit for World Community Grid, but it's not connected to Rosetta in any way.

Adak,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BOINC defaults to a max of .5 day WU cache, with a minimum of .1 days. So unless someone goes into tools, computing preferences, network usage and changes from the default, they should never get more than a half days worth of WUs in cache.

However, looking at tasks, I see that I have 11 WUs in queue while working on 4. THe 11 WUs would take about 1.6 days to complete, so obviously it doesn't actually work as one would expect looking at the configuration options. On some of the other rigs, that have shorter WUs, the 11 or 12 Wus in queue are about 1/2 day.

BOINC has changed a lot over the years - and is being changed again. The best way to work with a project for a short while, is to press the "No New Tasks" button, after you get the first bunch of work units, and see how long they take to fold. Then allow more work units, as needed, but only when you are there watching it.

SETI used to be VERY predictable with it's size of wu's, but that has changed. Now you have different types of work units, and some of them have a much longer time to fold.

This is Rosetta, and an extreme example (Hopefully!), but I have two work units that have folded for 75 hours on average, so far -- they will complete their folding in 170 and 181 more hours, respectively! :shock:

That's why I say watch your downloads from these projects. They aren't as uniform as they used to be with their work units.

If you don't want long units ensure you don't have any of the astro pulse units selected in your SETI account.

Took a bit to get Bionic on my farm. My forces are split, 22 CPUs on Rosetta and 11 GPUs on SETI. Plan to leave the GPUs on SETI until Operation Banana completes on Rosetta.

Is there any remote monitoring software similar to HFM?

boincstats is what I used. It can be used to entirely run boinc on remote computers if they are setup to use your BAM! account. Also provides some nice info about what they are doing.

boincstats is what I used. It can be used to entirely run boinc on remote computers if they are setup to use your BAM! account. Also provides some nice info about what they are doing.

Thanks for the reply. I created BAM account and connected all the hosts, but do not see any real time monitoring support.

Getting late to try anything else tonight, but will try Adak's suggestion "BOINCView" tomorrow evening.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, had no internet again for most of yesterday. Turns out that a large area was effected as somebody for 2 nights in a row cut some cable looking for copper. Talk about an idiot :mad:

I've been able to pass a couple of people on our team, and my RAC is still climbing, with OK credits for just a couple cpu's crunching.

SETI_OperationBanana1.PNG

The difference in the team is slight, however. Without being able to use Tanker for SETI, and without GPU's, my contribution to the SETI team is OK, but far less than what I was hoping for.

SETI Tsunami Mission Report

After a short 3 days our mission in UFO Archipelago has come to an end. It may have been short but it was a very productive stay :thup:
We want to say thank you again for helping us to victory in this years Chimp Challenge and we hope you will join us in battle next year :salute:

SET SAIL FOR ROSETTA REFUGE!!!!

I've had to go "schizo", since SETI doesn't work on Tanker. Tanker is in Rosetta Refuge, already crunching work units, but the other two rigs are still finishing up their SETI work units.

Now more than ever before, you need a late model gpu to make good ppd in SETI. CPU folding is very modest in comparison.

I have my rig crunching away. I remember a while back though that I downloaded something to optimize the thread scheduling. Do you still need to do that for the latest BOINC software?

It is under your SETI account preferences. You can set it to run gpu only, then rosetta will get your full CPU

Back