• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinions/help with this mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ripit

So I don't have a few hundred dollars to do a proper mod with a peltier. I have this cooler (like to hold a six pack) with a smaller peltier and as I have found out the peltier is too small to use on my cpu (not that I have the money for the extras if I did), I came up with this. Total cost was parts I already had and 7$ (3$ for a heatsink and frame and 4$ for some radio shack heatsink grease (used most of the tube).
So here is a 47 watt peltier attached to the back of my case.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/cpu_cooler_parts
Fyi the cooler didn't work very well so it was either a paper weight or spare parts for a project.
I had a hard time determining if it was effective because I was having temp problems. At the end (after a week!), I realised that I was a complete dumbass and had put the spring for my heatsink in backwards!!!! Reguardless of my stupidity, after that problem was fixed (after this had been installed), my system ran idle at a constant 22c case temp, 32c cpu temp (it would literally sit there all day at that temp). I have this (my main computer) and another hooked up through a kvm switch so I had the other to use but just had to hit a few key strokes to check on it.
I ran the peltier without a fan on the outer (hot) heatsink. After about three minutes the heat sink got so hot I was not comfortable running it and shut it off. I tried this a few times. The tempatures remained about the same. I zip tied a 80mm antec fan (antec or not, I don't like these fans, they don't seem to push a lot of air) as it is what I had handy. Trying the experiment again, I noticed a 2-3 degree c drop. It took several minutes before the temp changed at all. After about ten minutes I got flucuating readings between 2-3 degrees cooler. They stayed constant at that temp. The longest I ran it was 20-25 minutes and then another 10 minutes watching it after it was shut down. The temps took several minutes to return to normal too. The cause was obvious. The whole back of the case was cold (look at how I installed it).
Obviouslly a good portion of the cooling capacity is being transfered into the case. In the long run, is that a bad thing, or would I be beter off isolating the cooloing to air?
I know, this is a getho mod (but I'll take a few degrees for 7$ and some of my time).
So how could I improve this (with little money)?
My bigest problem is I just got this case. It's an antec plusview 1000awg. It is the best case I have ever had so it is my baby and I'm not ready to start chopping it apart yet. I know I need to though. A big *** hole in the top and a big fan would solve all my air flow problems!!!!
So does anybody have ideas or recomendations on how to further this project??I know a beter heatsink and or beter fan on the outside would be a good idea. The vantec 80mm fan on the inside blows lots of air,
you can feel the air blowing off it a lot!!! The inside heatsink/frame (paid 3$ used) is a pretty decent and massive copper heatsink. I don't think that It could be improved cheap (I really lucked out getting it so cheap considering how well it fit with modification).
I know that I am probably burning lots of cooloing power into the case, so I guess that I would have to chop out the fan grill for that????
What do you guys think about my getto mod (or how to imporve it)??

Back