• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Quick question, will the PSU I have targeted for my new rig be sufficient to power the chip and card? I only use my PC for internet/email and MMO gaming and I don't OC. I try to keep my PCs for 5-7 years.

Intel Core i5-4670K (Amazon $219.99)
Asus Z97-A LGA 1150 (New Egg $143.99)
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) (New Egg $145.99)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB MZ-7TE250BW (Amazon $134.99)
Asus DVD/RW
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (New Egg $49.99)
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB ACX Video Card (New Egg 309.99)
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Red LED Black ATX Mid Tower (New Egg $49.99)

Powerful enough? Yes.
7 years? Maybe.
If you want to run it that long I'd aim a notch or two higher.
On PSUs made by companies that actually honor their warranties and make real PSUs, you can get a decent idea of how long they think their units will last by the warranty.
If the PSU has a three year warranty it should definitely make it three years, almost certainly four, pretty solid chance of five, maybe six, and seven is really pushing it.
If it's a 5 year warranty 6 years is a slam dunk, 7 is very likely, etc.
If it's a 2 year warranty, 7 is very unlikely.

The CX500w is a 3 year PSU with misc. Taiwanese capacitors. Three years shouldn't be a problem, four is very likely, five and onward is questionable.

Here's your winner: Rosewill CAPSTONE-450 $59.
Plenty of power to run your setup as listed, all Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors, gold efficiency and a seven year warranty. Best part, it doesn't cost much more.

interesting, i noticed Rosewill has some higher end(look like LL cases) cases. didnt know they are stepping up their psu game as well.

Are rosewill products on new egg? I can't find them. Is Thermaltake a good brand?

Are rosewill products on new egg? I can't find them. Is Thermaltake a good brand?

Bob posted a Newegg link to the PSU.

Thermaltake is "okay" as a general rule, but I would take that Rosewill over most of Tt's offerings in a heartbeat.

Tt makes a few awesome PSUs, a bunch of decent PSUs, and some really terrible PSUs.

Rosewill makes some very very meh PSUs, probably some terrible PSUs as well, but the CAPSTONE series is good, as is the TACHYON series.

Back