• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on gaming build @2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbright

This will be my second build. About to start my first simple build currently.

Money and confidence purposes i want to start with a single gpu and a non overclocked cpu. Because of this i am unsure if i need a cpu heatsink initially. But then again it would be easier to put the heat sink on before i install the motherboard.... What opinions do you have on this and what cpu cooler would you recommend? This is what i am thinking for the final build. Hardware opinions?

Like i said at first i will not be overclocked or have dual gpu's. I took into consideration that i would expand to that when picking a psu. Is 1000w enough for the end result?

Is this motherboard overkill? I thought it would work well with the i7 and i like that i should not have to add a audio, wifi, or bluetooth card.

Any thoughts on the ram i chose? would i be better off going with 4x4 gig cards. I just thought i may want to expand past 16 gig in future even though it is way overkill currently.

Hard drives are just cheapest i could get with space i wanted. Any better deals? am i missing something?

Man i like the look of this case, comes with two fans. figure i add three more will be more than enough air movement. Should i get a fan controller think? Anyone have any experience with this case?

I have no idea how long i will run single gpu and non overclocked. Probably a couple months till i get bored.

This is mainly a gaming build. Dayz, Diablo 3, eso, civ v, skyrim, ect.

PC will be a main media hub in my living room as well, so may add another or larger hard drive.

Any opinions welcome, thanks...

with the air cooler i might think about the 4690k, it'll be a bit cooler WHEN you start overclocking, and it's more than enough for gaming.

8 gigs of ram will be plenty unless your encodeing video.
I would think a good 850 watt psu should be more than enough.

a samsung evo ssd would be better.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Yes

Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler

No. Noctua NHD14, Corsair H100i, these are good choices.

Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g

Dont bother. The Corsair unit includes preapplied paste and the Noctua comes with some of the best stuff you can get.

MSI Z97-Gaming 9 AC ATX LGA1150

Do you need a PLX chip? If you need a PLX chip, you need an expensive board. Do you want both GPUs running at 16X or are you ok with 8X/8X?
You'll lose a few FPS. Not many though.

G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
Combo discount automatically applied. (View details.)
Storage

This is tall RAM. Look into some low profile RAM for better HSF compatibility.

Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

No. Samsung or Intel. Look at the 840 EVO.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I prefer Western Digital Caviar Blue or Black.

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way SLI)

If you only have 1 1080P monitor, this is stupid. If you have 1440P, get 1 780Ti

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way SLI)

2 780Ti is overkill unless you have a 4K monitor, or 3 or 4 1080P monitors.

Cougar Challenger-B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Ugly IMO, but its your call.

EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Slight overkill for 2 gpus. A quality 850W unit is ok.

Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

Looks to me that would be a solid build able to play all the games that you have in ultra settings deffinitely. My budget build plays almost all the games I have tried in high-ultra and this set up would blow mine out of the water. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in seeing as I am somewhat new to PC building myself. I am not too experienced with the intel side of things but in my opinion I dont think you could go wrong with an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Back