• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I popped the lid today. Wasn't bad at all. Cleaned off the thermal compound, cleaned up my BT and installed with a thin layer of AS5 on the CPU die.

I'm really confused. My hot core (core 1) went down about two degrees, while my cool core (core 0) went up three degrees. And I'm still loading in the fifties at stock speeds and voltages while running SETI. What the hell is going on here? :bang head

Currently loading Core 0 at 51C, Core 1 at 55C. 24C in the air-conditioned room. Case fans on full speed. Lapped Big typhoon, naked Opty 170. I expected to drop about ten degrees off my load temps at stock speeds, allowing me room for overclocking. I've gotten NOTHING. The only benefit is that with the lid on, my Zalmann 9700 NT was keeping the temps at about 55-57C at stock speeds only by running at full speed and making a lot of noise. The naked chip with a BT is running virtually identical temps but at lower fan speed and less noise. Other than that, I still have an extremely hot chip.

EDIT: Just installed Speedfan. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but if "Core" refers to my CPU core(s), then Speedfan is reading my CPU temps at 55C while Coretemp94 is showing C0 @ 51C and C1 @ 55C.

Last edited:
Back