• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optical Drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

Why do they still bring the most powerful machines to their knees? I mean it is ridiculous that when inserting or ejecting a CD/DVD it lags/stops all PC activity. IE: when I insert a DVD, and I am listening to music or watching a video, it lags/stops the audio or video for 3-5 seconds. WTF? Also when reading a scratched disc, there is no reason that it should lock the PC up when it stutters on a scratched part. I think this is BS, and they should not be able to bring the best of machines to their knees. Anyone agree, or am I just being anal and expecting too much?

I don't know what causes it but I agree it is most annoying, also the way some drives spin the disc up to full velocity and you hear the heads searching as it trys to read the disc it then takes 5 or so minutes for the drive to realise that it needs to lower the speed a bit to read the disc :confused:

I have the issue like everyone else, though I don't think I've ever researched the exact cause of this.....something to check out.

I believe Windows has to wait for the device once it makes a call to it. Meaning, when you insert a disc, it has to check what it is and decide what to do with it. But, the only issue is, the drive has to spin up first, creating 'lag'.

I've always hated this problem. Some people have reported that SATA devices do not have this issue though. Not sure if it's true but I sure hope so.

Speaking of optical drives needing lots of resources, burning DVD's seem to be another problem. In the system in my sig, I can burn a DVD at 4x comfortably, anything faster gets buffer under runs. It takes about 12-15 min for a full DVD which isn't bad but not great either.

Hoping that when I finally do build another system, everything will be SATA and hopefully I can do DVD burns at full speed.

Pyrotechnic said:
Some people have reported that SATA devices do not have this issue though. Not sure if it's true but I sure hope so.

Can anybody confirm this? If it's true then I'm going to get a SATA optical for my next build. If it's not, I'll just stick w/ IDE.

youngbuck said:
Can anybody confirm this? If it's true then I'm going to get a SATA optical for my next build. If it's not, I'll just stick w/ IDE.

I don't think that solves the problem. If you read my first post, Windows has to wait for the drive to become ready. Changing the interface does not solve this.

Back