• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimal settings Fx-6200(3.8 gHz) Windows 7 Ultimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drp

Registered
I have an Fx-6200 in my current system, and with a cpu monitor i noticed that in balanced power state each of the 6 cores stays around 1400mHz, and jumps up to 3800 whenever it seems necessary (i dont check when im gaming but it spikes when i click on something), however when my system is in high performance mode, it rests idly at 3800mHz no matter what i am doing. My question is, which should i use to optimize the life of my cpu, it seems running it on balanced would be the best course for minimal power usage and to be a little easier on my cpu when its not at load, or would it be worse for my cpu to constantly be speeding up and slowing down?

Well it's not about optimizing the life of the CPU. At stock, that thing will last forever, and much much longer than you will actually use it for.

"Balanced" utilizes AMD cool n quiet, which just as you said, lowers the clock speed when the system is idle. It will ramp up clock speed as it needs it up to the max default clock.

"Performance" disables cool n' quiet, and runs at the CPU's max default clock speed all the time. The biggest difference for you will be amount of power used, with the balanced option using the least amount of course.

Cycling clock speed does not affect the life of the processor - they are designed to exactly that.

hmm alrighty, its cool that it can do that but when i have it resting at 3800 my computer seems alot faster, so ill leave it there. Is there a good overclocking guide for the OCing my cpu? i have a MSI 990fxa with UEFI bios.

Just start increasing the CPU multiplier (maybe called "CPU Ratio" in your bios) by .5x. After each increase, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check stability. While running the Prime95 stress test, have HWMonitor open in the background to monitor core temps and CPU (socket) temps. Don't allow core temps to exceed 60c or CPU temps to exceed 70c. When you can no longer pass the Prime stress test (blue screen, lock up, spontaneous restart or a Prime95 worker drops out) then increase the CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. Repeat that cycle of increasing the multiplier by .5x increments, stress testing with Prime95 with temp monitoring and adding a little core voltage when you can't pass Prime95. Pretty simple, actually, with the FX CPUs.

Back