• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimize or overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hung the plug under the desktop, behind the drawer where the kb sits. I might staple it into position if it works out.

Now, where do I start on overclocking my machine?

First thing you'll want to do is go into bios and shut off all the power saving stuff. C1E C6 Cool n quiet EPU also set windows to performance mode. Once done download Prime 95 and HWmonitor( non pro) also CPU-z. Open CPUz and take snips of the main tab spd tab and memory tab. Them run P95 while HWmonitor is open and capture the temps and voltages for us.
I'm curios to see how hot your board gets at stock speed.

Last edited:
Ya I just checked your MOBO manual and you wont have control over EPU so you're going to have some fluctuations in voltage and speed. We ran into this in another recent thread The 8xx chipsets don't give you the ability to control the EPU.

I know that my HTPC did the same thing when I had the receiver plugged into the back of the PC. Moved it to the top front where it's visible and it stopped jumping like that. Never a loss of characters just pauses and the mouse was jerky.

OK. I've been testing. The problem is still there. The kb/mouse receiver is within 1 foot of the kb/mouse, and it is an unblocked straight line!

The weird part is, I have a second browser window open on the second screen, and my kids [OK, and I] are watching Teen Titan's from some website, and there are NO issues with that, but the Webkinz site my daughter is trying to use is choppy!

I'm watching. Total core usage is 23-24%, and the highest load on a single core is only 77%. I have a total of 4 windows open.

I was not paying any great attention to your thread after it seemed your situation was better after moving the mouse and keyboard "receivers". I say "receivers" since I think I understand you to have two wireless keyboards and mice hooked to the 'same' mobo. One wireless keyboard and mouse goes to a Host operating system and the other wireless keyboard and mouse works with a Virtual Machine. The Host has a monitor or the TV and of course whichever way that is the VM has the other video display.

Now since that is the way it seems you have your configuration setup and use it with one user on the VM and other user AT the 'same' time using the VM, I searched for something about Host and VM use. The link I found seems older but the caveats it brought to my attention were pretty revealing. There is far more to using Host and VM than meets the eye at first glance. There seem a number of issues that may need attending to in software or general setup.

Troubleshooting Performance Issues

General Performance Issues

My virtual machine is extremely slow.

After reading thru that link above, I am now aware that VMs are not without some possible issues for the Host machine and vice versa. After moving of the "receivers" and I say "receivers" since I assume you are using two receivers and at first you said your reason for the original post seemed better, I was pretty sure you had nothing we could help you with in the CPU Forum Section.

After going over the reason for thread and first post and seeming cure, now you are back again about the VM, I guess being slow, it comes to mind that what you are doing is software related or just flat out not enough computing power to do what you seek to do. By computing power, it could be not enough ram. It could be not enough video power for two greatly different size viewers of video. It could be not enough dedicated cpu cycles to run the emulated network system of the VM.

I have run VMware before. I used it or the Host in my dealings. Not both the Host and VM machine concurretly. Not really. I know after reading that information in the link above that this VM thing is not simple. And highly unlikely to be simple with two make that four inputs from users at the same time.

I wonder if we are all chasing our tails in a circles with the situation as described in an AMD Cpu forum section when maybe some VM gurus would maybe more likely to have an answer. At least that is what I am beginning to wonder. Host and VM both having to display net data at the same time is now what the issue seems to be, if I have heard the symptoms correctly. That could be almost anything VM related or how multiple "receivers" maybe acting when needing processing to hand off to the VM.

I am no VM guru. NOT by any means. And when I think of that I see many trails that have nothing to do with hardware. But then I realize the architecture of the FX processors are different than they used to be in that there is "A" shared FPU unit for each core. That might contribute to an issue. Well I am 'guessing'. Perhaps there is something being put some what off with the FX-8150 not being on a true 9xx chipset motherboard? I am not sure anyone can know. Remember I am doing some guessing 'after' reading the link above and realizing in my mind just how much there is to be out whack with a VM and the Host machine.

You might more quickly or make that 'even' find an answer in a forum dealing with the exact VM you are now using since VM is generic with the many VMs that are now out there. Just a thought after some research.
RGone...

RGone, during this problem, the second keyboard/mouse was off, and there was no VM running on the machine. The second screen was showing the video full screen.

I don't run a VM very often, I just told people about it so people would know the use of second kb/mouse.

I have begun to think that the problem might be because of the second mouse/kb being off.

I have two browsers open on an older S939 mobo right this minute with one keyboard and mouse plugged in. Monitor only and it is a 23in Acer Wide Screen mode. I typing to you in one browser and listening and looking at a Video in the other browser. When the video first started, I thought I saw a single hesitation of typing into this Reply box. Now though, there is not any hesitation at all. 3 Gigs of DDR ram and runnig at about 2.53Ghz.

You rig is far greater than what I am using at this very moment and I thought I saw a single hesitation but if I did it was only for the one small instance. But I do not have any Usb recievers plugged in and mouse and keyboard are P/S-2.

If you think it is an un-used keyboard mouse combo, plugged in but turned off and not used; then you need to check at your end. I would actually unplug all un-used stuff and check to see if there are issues.
RGone...

You rig is far greater than what I am using at this very moment and I thought I saw a single hesitation but if I did it was only for the one small instance. But I do not have any Usb recievers plugged in and mouse and keyboard are P/S-2.

That is the reason I bought what I bought!

I can play with VMs, if I get into those high CPU flash games, I didn't want a dead computer! I've been to rounds [in BTD5] that would kill my old computer, and minimized it so my daughter can play RollerCoaster Tycoon, and she had no signs of my game still running! [She had the occasional pauses, as normal] Back then, I thought it was because of the lack of Bulldozer drivers at the time.

I wanted a machine that would run even if something that worked the system was in the background!

Testing will be done by my kids [who are in school right now]

Testing completed

That is the reason I bought what I bought!

I can play with VMs, if I get into those high CPU flash games, I didn't want a dead computer! I've been to rounds [in BTD5] that would kill my old computer, and minimized it so my daughter can play RollerCoaster Tycoon, and she had no signs of my game still running! [She had the occasional pauses, as normal] Back then, I thought it was because of the lack of Bulldozer drivers at the time.

I wanted a machine that would run even if something that worked the system was in the background!

Testing will be done by my kids [who are in school right now]

OK. My daughter did some testing.

The second kb/mouse was physically disconnected. The receiver for the used kb/mouse is about a foot away from the kb/mouse, and nothing but air between them. The second screen was turned off [but connected, most common config.] No VMs were running. One Opera window [no tabs] Em's site [IE] opens a new window. WeatherBug, and All CPU Meter widgets, and Security Essentials are the only "optional" pieces of software running.

My daughter said the game was MUCH better, playable, but still choppy! :confused: :cry:

This machine is SUPPOSED to be :comp: and then some!

Back