• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimizing WB / Pump Combinations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChuckS

I'm almost ready to buy my first WC setup and have been looking at a MWC6002, a AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 from D-Tek and a Pro-120 radiator using 1/2" ID tubing. I'm only cooling my P4 2.4C and maybe a 3.2E in the future.

After reading some other posts and looking athe graphs at Pro Testing's site, the 6002 seems to have an advantage at lower flow rates than my other WB option, the D-Tek White Water, but loses at the high end.

Would the AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12/WW combo would give significantly better temps than with the 6002 and the AquaXtreme? Or is it overkilll to match up a 6002 with the AquaXtreme? It seems that the higher the flow rate, the lower the temps, so the AquaXtrreme/WW combo would provide the best performance.

Assuming that I went with the 6002, would a single CSP 750 be a better match?

I'm currently at 45C load and 30C idle with my Zalman 7000. I'd like to stay at least at these temps with a WC setup. Would I need to go with WW/AquaXtreme to get those temps, or would the 6002 do it? Thanks in advance.

Between a 6002 and a WW you probablky won't see more than 1C difference. The CSP750 will get the job done, not nearly as well as the 50Z-DC12, but it does cost half. However, it's been on backorder forever so who knows when you'll be able to get one. You temps will probably be in the upper 30's or cooler easily. When I used aircooling (SLK900) my load temps were 51-52C, with watercooling, 40C when it's warm out. If I were you I'd save my money and get the 6002, there's no appreciable difference between it and the WhiteWater.

But you should consider getting a dual heater core instead of a Pro-120. The radiator size will make a much bigger difference in temps than the waterblock.

you could consider gettign a chevete hc (its only a single) but its cheaper and performs better than a pro-core...

But it's really worth it to get a dual heatercore. They're only $20 at Autozone for a 2-342, or if you want to get fancy, 2Fresh sells prebarbed and prepainted dual heatercores for $50 and they come with 2 120mm Delta's.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm using a Chieftec Dragon midtower case. Would a dual HC fit if I mount it in the front and lose the lower 3 1/2"drive bay enclosure?

Alacritan said:
But it's really worth it to get a dual heatercore. They're only $20 at Autozone for a 2-342, or if you want to get fancy, 2Fresh sells prebarbed and prepainted dual heatercores for $50 and they come with 2 120mm Delta's.

Do you have a link for 2Fresh? Can't find it on Google... :bang head

Alacritan said:
But you should consider getting a dual heater core instead of a Pro-120. The radiator size will make a much bigger difference in temps than the waterblock.

How much of temperature difference is there between using a dual heater core and a single Pro-120? I can see the point that there's twice as much surface area to dissipate heat.

Price-wise it makes sense, but I don't know if I can make everything else fit into my 4 5 1/4" bays. Guess I can make one drive an external...

Dual heatercore vs Pro-120, I'd estimate at least 3-4C, probably more like 5-6C. Significant.

A lot of guys use Dragon cases with dual heatercores. I wouldn't imagine it would be that hard to do it.

in a dragon, people usually mount it at the top to lose two drive bays or in the front to lose both drive cages. I had an idea to mount a dual core to the right of the motherboard with the fans sticking out of the case door but I haven't tested it with an actual dual heatercore yet... Based on the measurements it looks liek it will fit but I don't know if it will work out extremely well.

I have two HD, a floppy drive and a NEC 2510. I can get it all to fit either way (top or front)

So, the dual HC seems to be the way to go, especially if the temp difference is so great.

I dont know why ppls keep saying "CSP 750 Is a good pump" when in fact it isnt.
Either these ppls dont have it, or they work for the company...

The motor inside is crappy, if u dont want to feel ripped off, dont buy this pump.

I bought two of this pump and one would not work. I got it replaced and used them for a few hours and both pumps had died.

Sarug said:
I dont know why ppls keep saying "CSP 750 Is a good pump" when in fact it isnt.
Either these ppls dont have it, or they work for the company...

The motor inside is crappy, if u dont want to feel ripped off, dont buy this pump.

I bought two of this pump and one would not work. I got it replaced and used them for a few hours and both pumps had died.

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a AquaXtreme from D-tek.

Back