• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered an 8700k has anyone had heat issues with these chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J☼E

Ive read a couple reviews about these chips running hot, was wondering if anyone can confirm?

I can only go by my 8350k which has 2 fewer cores and no HT, but temps don't seem particularly different from previous generations. Stock, no worries. With OC, you have to pay more attention as you increase voltage. Nothing new here.

This review had me worried

A hot mess and an overpriced paper launch: Intel's EPYC failure of an attempt of Ryzen to the occasion against AMD. Did you ever think the 7700K was slightly too hot for comfort in your build but barely managed anyhow? Take all the ills and missteps of the thermals of the 7700K and magnify them to unimaginable levels in this flagship mainstream processor. Though you would expect a mainstream-targeted processor outside of the HEDT X299 line to be entry-level builder friendly, the 8700K is actually more demanding than the 7800X and practically requires liquid cooling. In testing, the 8700K, with a $150+ premium AIO like the NZXT Kraken X62 or the Alphacool Eisbear 420, has been found to be up to 20 degrees hotter than its predecessor. Google "8700K temperature" and you will find numerous accounts of reviewers and users having temperatures in the 80 and 90 degree Celsius range while constantly hitting thermal throttling. Do not even remotely consider pairing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with this hot shot or throwing this fiery devil into a small form factor case like the RVZ02 or the DAN Cases A4-SFX. Intel is making the same mistakes from the darker times of its past and is returning to its Pentium 4 ways with this underwhelming, steaming pile of product. Practically speaking, Ryzen also achieves much greater than 60 fps in most games (not even the 8700K can achieve 144 fps+ for high refresh rate monitors unless you drop graphical settings to levels where Ryzen is practically on the same footing) and still has the upper hand in multi-threaded performance and power consumption. My strong suggestion: either (1) purchase a Ryzen 7 1700 processor and overclock it to 1800X levels, (2) wait until the 12nm Ryzen refresh comes out in February/March 2018, or (3) wait a bit longer for 7nm Zen 2 (SemiAccurate, a costly but highly reputable professional tech industry news outlet, affirms Zen 2 is still on schedule) to come out by the end of 2018. Less

J☼E;8041190 said:
This review had me worried

A hot mess and an overpriced paper launch: Intel's EPYC failure of an attempt of Ryzen to the occasion against AMD. Did you ever think the 7700K was slightly too hot for comfort in your build but barely managed anyhow? Take all the ills and missteps of the thermals of the 7700K and magnify them to unimaginable levels in this flagship mainstream processor. Though you would expect a mainstream-targeted processor outside of the HEDT X299 line to be entry-level builder friendly, the 8700K is actually more demanding than the 7800X and practically requires liquid cooling. In testing, the 8700K, with a $150+ premium AIO like the NZXT Kraken X62 or the Alphacool Eisbear 420, has been found to be up to 20 degrees hotter than its predecessor. Google "8700K temperature" and you will find numerous accounts of reviewers and users having temperatures in the 80 and 90 degree Celsius range while constantly hitting thermal throttling. Do not even remotely consider pairing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with this hot shot or throwing this fiery devil into a small form factor case like the RVZ02 or the DAN Cases A4-SFX. Intel is making the same mistakes from the darker times of its past and is returning to its Pentium 4 ways with this underwhelming, steaming pile of product. Practically speaking, Ryzen also achieves much greater than 60 fps in most games (not even the 8700K can achieve 144 fps+ for high refresh rate monitors unless you drop graphical settings to levels where Ryzen is practically on the same footing) and still has the upper hand in multi-threaded performance and power consumption. My strong suggestion: either (1) purchase a Ryzen 7 1700 processor and overclock it to 1800X levels, (2) wait until the 12nm Ryzen refresh comes out in February/March 2018, or (3) wait a bit longer for 7nm Zen 2 (SemiAccurate, a costly but highly reputable professional tech industry news outlet, affirms Zen 2 is still on schedule) to come out by the end of 2018. Less

sounds like an amd boi flaming intel.

lookup some realworld testing reviews there are several out there.

It, like other not iridium solder based chips, can run hot, yes. How hot? It will vary. Don't worry about it and just get it. Really. :)

If you plan on overclocking, go high-end air or an AIO.

nice clocks enjoy your new system .

What is the max req voltage for CL ?

I see ppl quote 1.35v for haswell but am living proof that 1.4+ for years hasn't been a issuse .

not sure, my bios automatically chose 1.4, I'm going to go in and bump that way down.

J☼E;8041592 said:
not sure, my bios automatically chose 1.4, I'm going to go in and bump that way down.

Are your voltages set on auto ? (not a good idea )
What are you using to stress test ? P95 ? AIDA64 ? occt . or just booting windows ( this doesnt meen it is any way stable)

yeah all of the bios settings were on auto, I didnt even intend to overclock yet but it did it's own thing. I have it set to 4ghz now with a 1.1 vcore running prime for a while.

J☼E;8041604 said:
prime stable at 5ghz 100x50 1.392v 118-120F for an hour

what is that in C ? quote temps in C every one uses that for temps
* 48 degc wow that is nice @ 5ghz !

Last edited:
Ok, I made an assumption it was AVX2 Prime95, where that would be a great sample. If you used older Prime95, that's average. Silicon Lottery and many other pre-binned sites use old non-AVX Prime95 for their testing. SL state -2 AVX offset on that listing.

Laat i recall, they use realbench for an hour with offsets. Realbench uses avx instructions iirc... otherwise whats the point of adding a negative "avx" offset when it isnt tested? Its testing tends to be more thorough than p95 since its doing a more than just beating on it with different length fft. Real world loads. Regardless what it is, avx testing is part of their suite.

Edit: they use p95 no avx, linpack, and other according to a forum post there. It used to be RB only.

Ive moved away from aida to rb for my personal stability testing. :)

Id have no idea how he managed 50c at those clocks and voltages with an avx p95 or non for that matter.....something is off there.

Last edited:
Speedfan was reporting my temps incorrectly, its actually around 90 load

- - - Updated - - -

and thats prime small fft test

also if i turn avx off in local.txt it only gets to 83C

CpuSupportsAVX=0
CpuSupportsAVX2=0
CpuSupportsFMA3=0

Last edited:
Back