• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Orthos Blend test fails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheffster

Registered
I've had my PC at a very minor OC from 2.66 to 2.88ghz for a while now.

I have in the past had it running @ 3.4ghz and even faster.. but after a few crashes and Orthos blend test failing - I'd reset it to default and make sure Orthos Blend test would run stable for 4 hours in order to keep my system from crashing.

Now I'm trying things out at 3,120Mhz to see if I can get a stable 3,120Mhz. 3dmark06 will complete, all my games run flawlessfly, Orthos "small FFT's" will run indefinatly and my CPU temp won't even rise above 50'C, 'stess CPU with gromacs core' again will run indefinatly and temps will never rise above 50'C. I know my cooliing isn't the problem. Dual PI 32M won't even pass on stock clocks, but single PI 32M always completes fine.

orthosblend-1.jpg

If I try running a 'CPU + RAM' blend test at any overclock past 2.9Ghz... it fails after 1-2 mins. (sometimes sooner) and I worry my system is becomming unstable or that I'm damaging it. I'm still relatively new to OCing, but I know most of the basics, and have been trolling these forums for a few months.

I'm asking for some advice as what my problem might be, I have a feeling its just my mobo (which is a crappy p5kc) that is giving me the hassle, but is their any settings in BOIS that might help me isolate the problem?

-I do have Vcore set to [default]... this is actually most stable from my tests.. the CPU voltage automatically adjusts as I clock it higher, and I've even tried up to 1.5V @ 3.1ghz, but I still get the exact same stability issue, and my E6750 should run @ 3.2Ghz, with 1.35V I would think, which is what auto Vcore adjusts it to with windows. If it was more stable at higher volts I'd simply keep it higher... but its made absolutely no difference to me so far. (cept slightly higher temps)

Since buying my rig I've got a new PSU (GameXstream to replace $10 PSU that came with Case)
I exchanged my RAM a few times too see if different RAM would be more stable, this made no difference.
I've also bought about 5 fans to make sure good airflow runs through my case -- and my temps are very low now.

When I OC, I run with:

[PCI (whatever it is) at 100]
[c1e disabled]
[transaction booseter disabled]
[VMware disabled]
[NBVoltage 2 notches above default]
[NB Termination Voltage: 2 notches above default]
[Ram @ 3-4-4-15 (now I've tried 5-5-5-15, and 4-4-4-15 - which is settings from website, 3-4-4-15 is just as stable as 5-5-5-15, Ram voltage I have @ 2.1V which is settings again from OZC website)

Since I feel my system should easily be 100% stable at >3ghz since I have decent air cooling, aftermarket CPU cooler and good overall cooling, but I can't seem to get a stable OC with "cpu + ram" blend past 3Ghz.. I'm asking for any tips or things I should check to see what the problem is and hopefully isolate it (my best guess is just that my mobo is crappy, but I'm not 100% sure of this)

Edit, I think its my RAM... memtest gave me a bunch of errors last time I tried running it - no matter what the settings, going to try changing sockets.

Last edited:
my first guess would be the memory, if memtest is erroring out, get it rma'd or change settings in the bios, case 3-4-4-x is def too tight for ddr2 mem at 2.1v for a stable setting, may even be a glitch that it's letting you run at that setting with such low vcore, I'd start with the man timings, set in the bios, and default volts, if they still fail memtest, rma the ram

Here's my memtest report:
Picture065.jpg

I'm not sure how bad this is. Orthos blend test will run for hours w/out errors at stock CPU speeds, but I'm guessing this means either: my ram is bad, or it's not compatable with my mobo.

I've tried switching sockets, running with just one stick, running different timmings (4-4-4-15, 5-5-5-15, 4-4-4-12, etc.), even different voltages from 1.8-2.2 to [auto], but I still get almost the exact same errors. I'm not sure if I should RMA it and go for a 3rd try with perhaps some kingston RAM that's 'officially' supported in my mobo's manual or let it be for now.

(I exchanged my old OCZ 'titanium' ddr2-1066RAM since it was giving me the same errors with Orthos blend (but only when I OC past 2.9Ghz) and refusing to clock past 1000Mhz(500x2), I'm guessing wouldn't do any better with memtest and still makes me think its not the RAM but a mobo/compatability issue)

It seems to run just as stable @ 2.1V/800mhz with 3-4-4-x as with 5-5-5-x, 4-4-4-x or [auto] which gives 6-4-5-18 (or something of the like) but 4-4-4-15 / 2.1V / 800 is what the sticker says that its rated for, and that's what I'm keeping it at for now.

Last edited:
blend test, it probably is your cpu causing the issue. You probably have to up the vcore. Take it in small steps.

You really should not have any errors in memtest so I think ram is clearly the culprit.
Small ffts stress only cpu therefore the reason you can go for a long time with no problem. Blend, on the other hand works ram as well. Looks clear to me - replace your ram and/or relax timings. If you have already tried relaxed timings then the ram is bad.

Try memtest86+ version 1.70 *FIRST* And see if it works.
please report back asap.

Memtest86 3.4 (not the +) newest version does the EXACT Same thing on my computer--and at STOCK, too. It simply isn't compatible with either possibly the motherboard or the CPU; seems like a bug. The + version runs as it should, though.

I don't remember if I tried the 3.4 version on my core 2 duo or not, but I thought i did before and it ran....

But if your 1.70+ version bombs like that too, then you know the memory is to blame.

im having the exact same problems with my e4300....i can do cpu test fine...but when i blend cpu and ram 2gether in orthos i get an error within 1-5mins...but i have new ddr800 crucial ballistix ram...and im running it at the specified timings of 4-4-4-12...

EDIT:
Ok nevermind i fixed my blend test problem...i've thought about this b4 but i forgot til 2nite....my mobo is set to auto for my memory voltage...i dont know what it has been setting it at but it has def been undervolting my ram...my ram is suppose to be 2.2v default and my bios as 2.2v as being a dangerous temp for the ram...which means it has not been setting it to that as default...my guess is that its been setting it to 2.0v on auto....i've been running orthos now for over 45mins with no problems so thats wat fixed it...

so to cheffter i would suggest making sure your ram is at specified voltage..do not let the board auto set your ram voltage...

Last edited:
Back