• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch, late on buying my Samsung ram..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I can't believe it, finally I'm ready for everything, and now the RAM I really want is out of stock, and even discontinued everywhere.

it is the dual channel 2x4GB Samsung ram, MV-3V4G3D/US code, the one everyone raves about, i really want it, newegg is out, amazon.com will not send to canada, amazon.ca doesn't have it, i'm in a pickle, and have no interest in any other ram.

Does Samsung have a new line coming out? I should have bought for $30 a month ago but figured I'll buy it with the GB UD-3 990FX and the 8150cpu *EDIT: Just found out about the 8350, please shed some light on that, worth it or is it just a 8150 overclocked at the factory?), but now I either have to choose a comparable 2x4gb kit for the above mobo/cpu combo, or get used, or find a store, I'm at my wits end, I was ready to buy everything, now I got nothing. You can't imagine my frustration.

any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

another place that has stock with shipping to canada would be ideal, but...

I know Mushkin and OCZ and other companies have great ram, but none have a ram that is so cheap, and has low voltage and can be O/Ced incredibly and even the timings lowered, so this ram in particular, with no heat spreaders, and so cheap looking, is so incredible, I can't bring myself to buy some cool looking ram just because it looks cool, even if it can be comparable at the top end, but is also double the price.

If someone can offer a suggestion on how to get this particular ram, or a ram that is just as good (even if a bit more expensive, $50 I'd be willing to shell out for 2x4GB) and specifically made for the above mobo/cpu combo, and also have at least 9-9-9-24(28)T timings at 1866mhz, or a bit higher timings at 2000Mhz, that would be enough for me, but the priority is the samsung.

Thank you for your help..

Oh, btw, should I consider something other than the GB 990FXA UD-3 and 8150? I know there is new stuff out there, I cannot afford a 16 core opteron forget about that, but who knows whats out there now, and maybe a non Gigabyte board is better for similar price? I set up my friend and was surprised to learn the BIOS doesn't even have an option to save to different slots, the settings, and he has the UD5.. hmm.. I just need the usual, USB3 etc, no need for the next gen PCI slots, I have the 470GTX (which I want to trade for a 5 or 6 thousand series ATI, since I always preferred ATI to NVidia, and also because it goes with AMD like bread and butter, but my 3870 was getting old, so I had to, and I got it for cheap, but I don't notice any difference meaning my rig right now (sig) is the bottleneck.

Thanx (again) in advance.

Oh, btw, should I consider something other than the GB 990FXA UD-3 and 8150? I know there is new stuff out there, I cannot afford a 16 core opteron forget about that, but who knows whats out there now, and maybe a non Gigabyte board is better for similar price? I set up my friend and was surprised to learn the BIOS doesn't even have an option to save to different slots, the settings, and he has the UD5.. hmm.. I just need the usual, USB3 etc, no need for the next gen PCI slots, I have the 470GTX (which I want to trade for a 5 or 6 thousand series ATI, since I always preferred ATI to NVidia, and also because it goes with AMD like bread and butter, but my 3870 was getting old, so I had to, and I got it for cheap, but I don't notice any difference meaning my rig right now (sig) is the bottleneck.

Thanx (again) in advance.

Have you completely ruled out an Intel board/CPU?

I wouldn't get too hung up on that RAM. I have had an eye on it for a while as well, but I don't think it's the type of thing where if you can't get it, you cancel your whole build.

Just a little piece of info. I recently (in the last two days) went from 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 Vengeance 8GB to 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31 TridentX 8GB. I have noticed no difference at all in performance. Maybe I am doing something wrong or running the wrong tests, but my gaming performance is exactly the same and even my SuperPi runs show no difference. I actually ran the exact same test (1M SuperPi), with all the components set at the same speeds as when I had the 1600 set, and my time actually went up by a tenth of a second.

RAM is not something to get hung up on.

For Intel SNB/IVB, better memory is useless. As long as it is 1600MHz CL9 1.5v, it will be perfect for gaming. 1866MHz CL9 1.5v improves encoding a little bit. Everything over that is not worth it.

For APU, better memory = faster iGPU. But if you're spending 300$ on your RAM and 100$ on your CPU, something is definitely wrong.

That RAM performs really well for the price, like you said. Unfortunately RAM performance doesn't get you much of anywhere. ninjacore is exactly right. As long as you find something decent you'll be just fine.

Oh, by the way, the RAM you want is here in single sticks. Just buy two, it's the exact same thing. That's what I have. :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094

amazon.ca doesn't have it, i'll try to find it on ebay.

What about an intel build?

You see the PSU and video card I have, I have to upgrade just the mobo/cpu/ram. I want the UD3 GB board, 8350 cpu and the samsung ram, and all of that is $350 canadian.

What intel build can come even close to that? i don't think any can, especially not 8 core that has a wide variety of uses, not just gaming (sure, a 2500k alone is probably just as fast for games, but in the near future when more multithreading is required?)

Anyway, with the Case, PSU and Video Card (sig) i have, if you don't like my idea of going to the GigaByte 990FX AM3+ 8350 and the samsung ram, what is my alternative for $350 (board with all the features of the UD3, cpu with similar performance and 8gb ram)? amd or intel alike..

Ok guys, can you please give me a suggestion. I cannot get the Samsung ram I wanted, it's way too expensive here in Canada, over double the price.

So, I want to get the GB UD3 990FX mobo, the 8350 CPU, and the 2x4GB ram, I have the Antec 300 case and NVidia 470gtx already, which is fine. Now, with the above mobo/cpu combo, can someone recommend excellent overclocking ram that will cost about the same (40 or 50) and have the same timings and run at least 1866 at those timings (9-9-9-28 at 1866 is fine by me, or 10-10-10-32 at 2000 is fine too, whatever you think is best). Or, on the other hand, perhaps an intel build that goes with my psu/video card and is the same cost as the above amd build I mentioned (the GB mobo and 8350 will cost $330 together, plus 40 for ram)

thank you. alternatives please, if you will.

There are better RAMs at about the same price or not much higher like:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313236
( about the same samsungs as greens but with heatspreaders and already tested for 2400 )
or
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104331

I wouldn't get anything from Patriot latest series as many their kits have problems to run at declared XMP settings ( you have even that comment in link with 1866 Patriots ).

If you are not planning to change your pc for next 2-3 years then get intel that will be faster in almost everything than FX8350 and will save some on electricity bill.

I've been with AMD since the K5 I think, the last Intel I ever had was the Pentium 90.. I went to Cyrix (i think that's what it was) for about 3 months, hated it, and then went to the K5 or something like that.. around 300MHz if I remember correctly, and then up from there.. It was quite a jump from the Pentium 90 I remember that. But I'm not loyal to any corporation, I want whatever is the best value for the money, and what has lasting power.

You see what I have already, I have the case, I have the power supply, I have the video card, I have the SSD's (Chronos Deluxe as well as the Intel, and an OCZ too), so all I need is a mobo/cpu/ram and that's it.

So, if you guys think that Intel can compete with AMD in price/performance and in longevity, then by all means tell me something.

Like I said, right now I can get the Gigabyte UD3 mobo which is perfect for me, the 8350 cpu which seems like quite an improvement over the 8150, 15% min and in some cases up to 50%, but of course I'm on overclocker so who knows how the 8350 performs, maybe it's just an overclocked 8150 in which case it sux. And I can get the 2x4GB ram..

All that, for what, ($120 + $199 + $40) x 0.9 x 1.13 (10% off if I buy all three, but then 13% tax, lol, so..), $365 for everything that I need..

$365 for a 8 core 8350 proc, gb ud3 and 2x4GB great dual channel samsung ram..

can intel come close to that? I'm willing to pay more, but then I want the performance to be more too. For $500 intel mobo/cpu/ram (triple channel?), will I get a 30% boost? and great overclocking potential? I don't care about 4 or 8 cores, in 5 years it still won't matter, 4 cores is plenty, I'm talking gaming, I'm talking making music and movies (I'm a DJ also, and make electronic music, and do some video editing, and my rig below takes for ever right now, I need to do something, even with my new vid card, the 470GTX it sux, cuz the cpu is bottlenecking my rig big time)

I'll check out the above options you guys told me about, and see whats up.. but also tell me what you think about what I wrote here, can Intel really beat AMD at that price range, I mean I'm talking about a 8 core 4GHz proc that is supposed to overclock to 5GHz on air, and great ram etc.... so

thanx in advance, I hope you don't give up on me, its hard for me to make a decision because it has to last, I'm not rich, and this computer I have now I will be giving to someone as a gift, with my old ATI Radeon 3870 (still a great card, I wonder if my 470GTX is even better, so far no diff, but at least it has DX11, wheras the 3870 only has DX9)..

thanx again.

WOOMACK.. wow, that does seem like awesome ram.. I wonder if it can really do that at 11-11-11-28.. I think I may buy that, depending on what I decide in the end.

Last edited:
Hi Trypt. For your needs there is simply no logical reason to go Intel. The fact is that with a weak (yes a 470 is extremely weak in todays world) video card that is the limiting factor in game playing. Spending an extra $200, $500 , or $1,000 on an over-the-top processor/mobo will gain you virtually nothing in games, and the other uses you listed for your PC could all be handled just fine with about any modern CPU- so that is not an issue.

The SAMSUNG 30 nm RAM is some pretty neat stuff (you can see that I am personally sporting 16 GB of it) but it is not worth paying a premium for it. It is pretty hard to beat for $40/8 GB, which is what I paid for it. A previous poster noted that most PC RAM is in fact made by SAMSUNG (most "RAM manufacturers" do not actually make RAM- they just assemble the ICs into RAM modules) which is quite true , however he is not correct about other manufacturers using the new 30 nm RAM ICs . This stuff is a totally different bird than older , larger architecture RAM ICs, which is why is so tiny and has no heatsinks. AFAIK SAMSUNG is not making these ICs available to other manufacturers yet, they are only making them available to the public on their own branded RAM DIMMS.

Good luck with your new build and don't let fanboys bully you into wasting money for no tangible purpose. I have been in the PC game since it began and my advice is to be realistic about your needs and get the best value for what you need today, because no matter how much you spend your PC will be good for nothing but a boat anchor in a couple of years. Cheap as possible boat anchor or really expensive boat anchor- it is up to you.

Last edited:
That is what I wanted to hear, I really want to stick to AMD.

However, you can't tell me that the GTX470 is not better than the ATI 3870 that I used to have. So in my build, even at a nice OC to 2.4ghz, i think the cpu and ram are the bottlenecks, because I'm getting exactly the same fps with the 470GTX than I did with the 3870, overclocked or not (either).

I will upgrade the card again very soon, to an ATI, the best I can get for about $150, so that is why I want the best for the money, the GTX470 is a temporary measure, but I was sure it was way better than the 3870, because at my friends house who has the 8150 8 core, the same game would get 80fps with the gtx470 where I get under 30 here. FarCry 3 for example, I get 27fps, but i get that with everyone on max, or everyhing on low, at 1920x1200

What is the best ati card for about $150.. I was the somethiner870, not the770 or 850 models.. like a 6870, not the 7750/7770 or 6850, I think you know what I mean (I got the 3870 over the 3850 for that reason too, its a big diff)

anyhow, does the gigabyte am3 fxa ud3 make sense with the 8350 cpu? and the 470gtx for now and then something other than that, an ati around $150

Last edited:
If I were buying a new GPU in that price range today I would go for a 7850. A single 7850 is beefier than my 2x 6790 (same BARTS GPU as 6870) and uses the same or less power as one 6790/6850/6870. I have not looked at prices recently but I am pretty sure you could get a 2 GB 7850 for less than $200 right now- but that would probably involve a rebate.

I will take a look.. I'd be happy with any DX11 card i guess, but want the best I can get for under $200

now, about my motherboard and cpu.. I'm sure you like the 8350 or 8150 idea, but the mobo? My friend has it and I found it doesn't have the option to save various configurations into slots, for overclocking.. that bugs me a bit, I think he has the UD5. I wanted the UD3 because it has everything I need, but does it really? I never mean to go 2x gpu. I still don't know why there aren't multi core gpus out there, like with cpus.. wouldn't that make sense? And game wouldn't have to be reprogrammed, it would be a hardware thing where the card makes use of both or all 4 cores automatically where the game would look at it as a single gpu.. I don't get it.

I just don't want sli/crossfire.

So, what mobo would be the best am3+ that will take the 8150/8350 (or something else?) and have amazing OC stuff (they all do I guess). It must be 990fx of coures, and take 2000mhz mem for sure.

Any advice before I plunge.. next friday.. Ram I'll have to decide on, I really want 2x4GB of the samsung ram, but still havent found it for under $50 like it was a month ago ($34, I should have just bought the pair, but wasn't sure about it, and once I knew what it was, it was too late ,all sold out and elsewhere, almost double the price)

I would have to vote for a Sabertooth. I had both a Sabertooth and a Crosshair V for a couple weeks recently ($99 ST from Geeks and $159 Open Box CHV from Newegg) and after extensive testing found that the Sabertooth actually gave a me a couple FPS in games. Just a fuzz, but it was consistent, and being cheaper I opted to keep it and returned the CHV. ASUS simply has the best AMD mobos right now IMO.

Yeah, that sounds great, the Sabretooth looks great, but I compared it to the UD3 GB board, which is $50 less, so is it justified? O/C and other features? Seems the same to me. So what is it that makes it worth the extra $50

Oh.. the 8350, its only $30 more than the 8150, but I can get the 8150 used (for about 2 months, a friend bought it but now that I told him about the 8350 he wants this, so he's offering me his) for $100, and I don't know if I can say no to that. Is there a real diff between 8350 and 8150, the boost clock is the same. In other words, an overclocked 8150 at 4GHz vs. an 8350 at 4GHz, what kind of performance diff am I looking at, or is it the same chip, just o/ced at the factory? In that case whats the point. If the architecture is identical, or almost the same, then its not worth even a dollar more. But if there is a definite difference, like cache, and maybe even the flowchart that is different, the way things communicate with eachother, then definitely.

Anything more that any of you can add would be great.

So far I know this.. AMD.. AM3+ mobo, but either GB or Asus whatever.. 2x4GB ram, with good timings and 1866 capable, preferably 2000 if that is important. And eventually an AMD/ATI upgrade to my card from the 470GTX, to probably 7850 (is the 7870 that much more? and if so, worth it?). BTW, I need 1920x1200 res always, and the more I can pump the quality at the rest the better, and AA/AF is not important, but I suppose once you use it, you actually notice, but I never used it, and I love how games look, and don't see a diff when I switch it on. But i have a feeling that it would be if I used AA/AF for amonth and then tried without,, just like when someone plays xbox, then comes to play the same game on computer and hates it at the beginning, but after playing all day, goes back to xbox and cannon play it anymore because it looks so ridiculous.

The Gigabyte 990FXA is definitely a solid mobo, and last summer when I was tinkering with my rig last I seriously considered getting that exact board, and in the end opted for a refurbished ASUS instead. I already had this 16 GB of SAMSUNG WonderRAM and the all black theme would look bomber, but ASUS simply has more reliable products if you like to push things to the extreme which is what OCing is all about. This is my opinion, and the only thing I can point to to prove that is forums like this one (I am on several) . At that time there were posts from lots of guys burning up those GB mobos when OCing 8 core CPUs, so that was what steered me away from them. I had intended to get an 8120/8150 last summer, but I went to FRY's on July 4th and they had the 4170 on sale for $109 and I got it and never looked back.

As far as getting an 8150 or 8350: The 8350 is the revision of the 8150 and does perform better. If you are buying new, for $30 more I would opt for the 8350, but if you can get that $100 8150 I would go for that. By the way: Depending on what games you play a fast 4 core will do better than a slower 6 or 8 core. The big exception to that rule of thumb is BF3. BF3 is optimized to use all cores, most games are not. I am not an FPS player, and the games I do play all run smoother with fewer faster cores, this is why I am running a 4170.

GPU: The 7850 and 7870 use the same GPU, the 7870 being a perfect chip and the 7850 having a few flaws, meaning it has fewer "workers" and the core speed is reduced. I think the difference is around 15%. The biggest difference, however, is that all (I think) 7870s have 2 GB of VRAM, and you can get a 7850 with either 1 or 2 GB of VRAM. These days it is wise to get a 2 GB card if you are in that price bracket. There is some overlap between high-end 7850s and low-end 7870s, my inner value hound would go for a high end 7850 if I was purchasing today, but some great rebate or sale could easily make me go for a 7870 instead. The big thing for you to consider is that 2 GB of VRAM.

Back