• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch!! SETI Career at risk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duner

Just got a letter in the mail today. I'm going to be losing my internet connection. Currently I use an EVDO Aircard as my ISP (cell phone internet). I live on an acreage with dial up and satellite as my only other options. It's been working great for >2 year now. I get unlimited data ~1-1.5Mbps with ~150ms pings. Well, they're getting rid of the unlimited plan and they're going to put me on a 5GB/month plan.

I just can't keep running SETI with that kind of cap. With the efficiency of my CUDA rigs, they're processing through hundreds, if not thousands of workunits every day and driving up the bandwidth. Wasn't an issue before, but it is now. This really sucks, because I just got 2 more GTX 260's from the classifieds here a couple of weeks ago. They're not even installed yet.

I'll try and come up with something. A dedicated dialup plan and phone line just for SETI would cost ~$55/mth. For Dialup!! The cheapest satellite package is $50/mth with a 200MB/day download limit. If I water cool my main rig I could bring it to the office, it's too noisy to bring there right now. Plus it's currently caseless. I can't believe something as simple as internet might collapse the SETI farm.

That sucks that you'll lose the unlimited data. I'm not sure how big the SETI work units are, but up/downloading a few thousand a week isn't hard for guys with sizable farms. I can see where it could take a large chunk out of his limit.

EDIT: Most of my WUs are 366KB. 3000 of those a week would make over 4 gigs of data in a month. That's just for downloads, not sure what size the uploaded files are.

uploads are only ~28KB each so lets just round that up to 400KB per WU. 24hrs a day = 1440 minutes/day. Some workunits are 15mins, some as short as 2.5mins. Lets take a conservative average of 10minute workunits for the simplicity of math on my GTX 260's. I've got 3 right now, 2 more in the mail. My 9800GX2 ~ 2 x 9800GT ~ GTX 260, so overall I've got 8 GTX 260 equivalents.

8 x 144 WU/day x 400KB/WU x 30 days/month (I'm on 24/7) = 13.8GB/month. Currently I estimate 10-15GB/month and I don't have my 2 new GTX 260's yet. That's just with SETI which is well over my new 5GB/month limit BEFORE day to day use.

Ah crud, that sucks mate :( What happens after you use the 5gb/month? Do you get capped, or does it simply cost more per MB? Short of changing plan (if at all possible), I don't think there's much you can do about it :( I had the same problem when I first bought my GTX260 - I was on a 10gb cap and I was seeing SETI use around half of that. NZ has complete rubbish internet comparatively, so the only thing I could do was change to a 20gb plan that I pay out the *** for >_<

Oh, and sometimes take my laptop to university and replenish my laptop's cache there >_>;

I'm fairly certain the folks at SETI aren't willing to start compressing the WU at their end before sending them out, as they simply don't have the resources spare to do so :(

Good luck mate, hope something can be worked out! 5gb/month is.. well, it's like living here! Sucks totally :(

It's a standard, for Canada, plan. $65 for 5GB/month and 5 cents per MB after that. I'll figure something out eventually. I just may be gone for longer than originally planned.

You could send them rigs down my way. :D
I've got unlimited (supposedly) cable. I might even leave some of them running under your SETI account. :chair:

I'm fairly certain the folks at SETI aren't willing to start compressing the WU at their end before sending them out, as they simply don't have the resources spare to do so :(

Probably right, but even if they did, these units are essentially "noise," and as such, do not compress that much. A 370K unit compresses to about 270K--so you save some, but you'd still be dealing with a lot of bandwidth.

uploads are only ~28KB each so lets just round that up to 400KB per WU. 24hrs a day = 1440 minutes/day. Some workunits are 15mins, some as short as 2.5mins. Lets take a conservative average of 10minute workunits for the simplicity of math on my GTX 260's. I've got 3 right now, 2 more in the mail. My 9800GX2 ~ 2 x 9800GT ~ GTX 260, so overall I've got 8 GTX 260 equivalents.

8 x 144 WU/day x 400KB/WU x 30 days/month (I'm on 24/7) = 13.8GB/month. Currently I estimate 10-15GB/month and I don't have my 2 new GTX 260's yet. That's just with SETI which is well over my new 5GB/month limit BEFORE day to day use.
I went about the calculations a little differently using an RAC of 80k and an average WU credit of 80, so 1k WU/day which comes up to 12 GB/month. I never realized how much bandwidth SETI gobbles up myself until you pointed it out. Bummer! :(

You're pretty resourceful, though, so I'm sure you'll work something out. We'll keep the porch light on ... :)

You could send them rigs down my way. :D
I've got unlimited (supposedly) cable. I might even leave some of them running under your SETI account. :chair:

You sound like my wife. She's already wondering when I'm going to start selling off the farm.

I went about the calculations a little differently using an RAC of 80k and an average WU credit of 80, so 1k WU/day which comes up to 12 GB/month. I never realized how much bandwidth SETI gobbles up myself until you pointed it out. Bummer! :(

You're pretty resourceful, though, so I'm sure you'll work something out. We'll keep the porch light on ... :)

Yeah, I'll be back for sure.

what part are you from ?

I live just west of Olds, Alberta.

Oh I know exactly where that is. I'm usually by there at leats once or twice a week. nice area.

Ok, things are already looking up.

Rogers has an EVDO Rocket Hub that's $60 for 10GB of data/month and "only" $5/GB after that.
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/internet-mobile/rockethub
If I used my average $25GB/month, that would cost me $135/month. I was paying $100/month for unlimited so obviously I'm still getting screwed. I think I can reduce my month bandwidth usage down to 20GB/month (SETI + day to day). At that point, it'll be $110/month, close to what I was paying before, but I'd have to be very careful with what I download.

Also, the local Telus dealer said they are coming out with a similar Hub device, but he's unsure about pricing yet. Hopefully they'll have some sweet deals to match/beat Rogers.

FYI Rogers = Big Telecom in Eastern Canada and Telus = Big Telecom in Western Canada.

have you looked into Bell Internet service – Portable 3 Mbps ? They also have another option, althrough they are vagure when it comes to bandwidth so I have no idea what they would include, however prices are not too bad.

Bell portable is not available in my area. They've chosen, almost randomly it looks like, a number of cities/towns to install it in. It's based on fixed wireless technology, not cell tech, so coverage areas are quite limited. Think of Fixed wireless as "super WiFi". The local fixed wireless company in Olds, Mountain Aire, has a transmitting tower not 1km from my house. However, because I live in a bit of a valley, they said it would take a $5000 tower to actually receive the signal.

Can you go somewhere and DL workunits onto computer A, then transfer all those workunits to computers B, C, D, etc. when you get home?

As far as I know, workunits are not transferable between computers for SETI. You can back up an entire SETI folder, but then only restore it to the computer that it was backed up from. BOINC knows what computer it's on and won't accept data files from another computer. If someone knows otherwise, then I would be very interested in that. I do have access to a broadband connection at work.

As far as I know, workunits are not transferable between computers for SETI. You can back up an entire SETI folder, but then only restore it to the computer that it was backed up from. BOINC knows what computer it's on and won't accept data files from another computer. If someone knows otherwise, then I would be very interested in that. I do have access to a broadband connection at work.

Mm, not possible sorry mate. Once the scheduler on the server end has assigned WU, they are non-transferable :(

It's a shame really, would be cool to be able to download a massive bunch (several thousand) of WU to a server at home, and just have other rigs on the local network pick from the home server - would limit the number of unique IPs (and thus overall connections to the server) and let you load share between all your rigs, rather than when SETI work is getting dry, your CUDABeast rig gets the odd trickle of WU, and your tenured single core AMD rig gets a nice 100 WU cache that'll take days to get through, when the CUDABeast could crunch through them in 1/10th the time.

Sadly, not going to happen though :(

Mm, not possible sorry mate. Once the scheduler on the server end has assigned WU, they are non-transferable :(

It's a shame really, would be cool to be able to download a massive bunch (several thousand) of WU to a server at home, and just have other rigs on the local network pick from the home server - would limit the number of unique IPs (and thus overall connections to the server) and let you load share between all your rigs, rather than when SETI work is getting dry, your CUDABeast rig gets the odd trickle of WU, and your tenured single core AMD rig gets a nice 100 WU cache that'll take days to get through, when the CUDABeast could crunch through them in 1/10th the time.

Sadly, not going to happen though :(

thats how it was in the old school days :)

Back