• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch!! SETI Career at risk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats how it was in the old school days :)

Yeah :) I never used the program that let you do that though, as I only had one rig crunching back in classic days, and it was taking 4-6hours to crunch.. Didn't seem all that useful to me :p

Thankfully the whole BOINC system made things much easier overall, what with WU caches for one thing, but its a shame WU are now assigned to one rig ID :(

You could probably spoof the WU output to make it look as though its from X computer ID, but 1) that'd be against the rules, and 2) would be far too much hassle to get working, especially seeing as if anything goes wrong, the BOINC client simply rejects anything that "shouldn't" be in the SETI folder lol

Have you considered maybe pumping a regular wifi signal to the nearest broadband connection? I know you said you live in a valley, but CAT5 cable is pretty cheap.

with external antenna, I got a 500meter range out of my old linksys. I didn't want to pay for a high speed line for my shop down the road from my home, so I pumped up the signal a bit.

Have you considered maybe pumping a regular wifi signal to the nearest broadband connection? I know you said you live in a valley, but CAT5 cable is pretty cheap.

with external antenna, I got a 500meter range out of my old linksys. I didn't want to pay for a high speed line for my shop down the road from my home, so I pumped up the signal a bit.

Or how about one of these? Just point it where the signal is...LOL

Or how about one of these? Just point it where the signal is...LOL

There is a broadband fixed wireless solution very close to my house, but as I stated in an earlier post, they want $5000 to install a tower that'll be tall enough to even get the signal. The tower would be placed a couple of hundred meters away from my house for optimal signal pickup. That directional antenna in your link wouldn't pick anything up at all.

The nearest neighbour with Broadband is about 1km away and across a highway. I don't have line of site to any of my neighbours, so it's not likely any signal will get through. You were fortunate because you already had broadband in your house and you just needed to get it to your shop.

It's the cost I have to pay for choosing to live on a farm I guess. It's beautiful though. 139 acres, with a river that winds straight down the middle.

There is a broadband fixed wireless solution very close to my house, but as I stated in an earlier post, they want $5000 to install a tower that'll be tall enough to even get the signal. The tower would be placed a couple of hundred meters away from my house for optimal signal pickup. That directional antenna in your link wouldn't pick anything up at all.

The nearest neighbour with Broadband is about 1km away and across a highway. I don't have line of site to any of my neighbours, so it's not likely any signal will get through. You were fortunate because you already had broadband in your house and you just needed to get it to your shop.

It's the cost I have to pay for choosing to live on a farm I guess. It's beautiful though. 139 acres, with a river that winds straight down the middle.

sounds nice, i went for a long drive down 22 today :)

Okay, I'm not sure if you're still in this predicament Duner, but I may have a temporary solution for you.

It is in fact possible to crunch WU on a different rig than the one the WU were originally assigned to. I tested this myself with my laptop and pc.

This assumes you have BOINC and seti set up on two rigs, and you want to transfer WU from rig 1 to rig 2

Suspend BOINC on rig 1, also suspend Network connections
Copy entire BOINC data folder from rig 1, keep a backup just in case.
Make sure BOINC is not running on rig 2. Replace BOINC data on rig 2, with the one from rig 1. (Backup before though, just in case)
Start BOINC on rig 2.

Everything should start crunching, if not, well.. you have your backups.
Once you've finished crunching on rig 2, do the steps above in reverse - transfer from rig 2 to rig 1. Report from rig 1! I'm not sure if reporting from rig 2 will work, but reporting from rig 1 should work.

The reason this may help is if you have access to any other pc thats connected to the net and has BOINC/SETI installed - even if only temporarily.

Theoretically, you could also use rescheduler to change CPU->GPU WU, but I haven't tested this. Might run into problems if you try and report CUDA WU from a pc that doesn't have a CUDA card... again, haven't tested.

Might help, might not :) If not, at least it's theoretically possible to crunch stuff on another pc, then report from the original pc. At this time, I haven't figured out a way to transfer individual WU across, and I suspect it's not possible.. but some altering of the client_state.xml might make it work locally, but wouldn't validate once reported (might not even be able to report)

Yeah, still an issue. I'll give that a try, but honestly, it sounds like a lot of work if I was going to try to keep all 4 of my rigs topped up. I'll move over my work computer's folder and see if it takes with one of my home machines.

Thanks

Back