• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Well Ive been away from the forums for a while now, life tends to have its seasons.
We moved into a new house about 2 years ago and our only internet option has been DSL. :rolleyes:
So needless to say I dont do much gaming anymore, although Verizon is supposed to be installing FIOS in the next year. fingers crossed

Anyways Im still rocking my first gen i7 950 1366 rig. Ive upgraded the gpu to a 970 STRIX this past year and added another SSD. But its still pretty much the same build I did ~7 years ago.

So I see AMD has its Ryzen and ThreadRipper CPU's and Intel its 7th gen i7 1151 and 2066 CPUs.
Im kind of getting the itch to do a nearly complete overhaul. Mobo/CPU/Case/RAM/Cooling?

Not that my current rig is slow, its just well, old. :shrug:
Once FIOS gets here Ill probably do more gaming as well as some video editing/encoding.

Anyways, Its good to be back! :grouphug:

Ken

Ouch, DSL? Thought that went the way of Dial Up and the Dodo.

By the time your ready to build (next year) there will be some new choices. Could look into something like a new monitor if yours is an older smaller 1080p if you want to scratch an itch now.

Nope still barely alive here. Cell service is much faster than our internet.

I have a 23" 1080p LED monitor. Might look into something with higher resolution.
Thinking I might just build a LGA 1151 rig since 2066 doesn't seem worth the extra $$ honestly.
Need to do some research on all the new tech I've missed out on.

If you want Intel I'd wait for Coffee Lake to get 6 cores for about same price otherwise if want something now I'd go R7.

LOL... I'm in the same situation, been away for 7 years, crawled out of my cave to upgrade. There are some advantages to X299 chipset (socket 2066), but not the best bang for the buck (although that was the path I choose because I was willing to spend a little extra). If you stay with Intel, the z270 chipset Asus or ASRock would be my recommendations. I would not rule out Ryzen though.

Last edited:
Well Ive been away from the forums for a while now, life tends to have its seasons.
We moved into a new house about 2 years ago and our only internet option has been DSL. :rolleyes:
So needless to say I dont do much gaming anymore, although Verizon is supposed to be installing FIOS in the next year. fingers crossed

Anyways Im still rocking my first gen i7 950 1366 rig. Ive upgraded the gpu to a 970 STRIX this past year and added another SSD. But its still pretty much the same build I did ~7 years ago.

So I see AMD has its Ryzen and ThreadRipper CPU's and Intel its 7th gen i7 1151 and 2066 CPUs.
Im kind of getting the itch to do a nearly complete overhaul. Mobo/CPU/Case/RAM/Cooling?

Not that my current rig is slow, its just well, old. :shrug:
Once FIOS gets here Ill probably do more gaming as well as some video editing/encoding.

Anyways, Its good to be back! :grouphug:

Ken

Ryzen is a bust, Threadripper is as well; AMD shoved too many cores onto a platform with insufficient memory bandwidth to feed them. The closest thing to what you have now is the HEDT platform with Skylake-E and the other i9s which means to get any really meaningful improvement is going to be $1000+ and anything short of that will just look nicer and not use as much power.

Ryzen is a bust? You'll get lots of disagreement on that one!

DSL is still very prevalent in rural areas where I live. It is the only choice for folks who don't live in town apart from satellite dish.

DSL is still very prevalent in rural areas where I live. It is the only choice for folks who don't live in town apart from satellite dish.

Cable internet is taking over by me, but lots of people still use the DSL solely due to cost. Cheapest cable internet in my area is $35/month. DSL is as low as $20/month

Some of us never leave. I've been doing "new builds" every couple of months for 20 years now. :screwy:

:rofl:

To everyone his own addiction! Can you text me your shrink number? ;)

Buy low - sell high. Sometimes I can upgrade for free or even make a small profit. For example, In early May I bought a used MSI Seahawk water cooled 1070 for $325, then sold it a month later to miners for $500, and used that to buy my current 1080 for $475. So, free upgrade!

Two years ago I built an X99 rig similar to yours made from used and open box parts. i7-5820K cost $250, Gigabyte X99 UD3P $70 open box, 4 x 4GB DDR4 2666 $85 open box, so total cost = $405. After a year of faithful service, I sold it for $525 Shipped.

After that I purchased a dual LGA 2011 combo with dual E5 2670s and 64GB DDR 1600 Reg/ECC for $375. Immediately sold the RAM for $200 and bought 32GB DDR 1333 Reg/ECC for $50. So out of pocket cost down to around $225. Then sold that combo a few months later for $525 shipped so $300 profit. I used that to play with Ryzen stuff that I either returned to Microcenter after a couple of weeks or with the last one sold it for exactly what I paid for it after a month or so.

Now with the $300 profit still in my PayPal account, I recently put together another dual LGA 2011 setup with dual E5 2640s and 32GB DDR3 1333 Reg/ECC for under $250 and still have cash in my PayPal account so it was essentially free.

That's how its done! :cheers:

Buy low - sell high. Sometimes I can upgrade for free or even make a small profit. For example, In early May I bought a used MSI Seahawk water cooled 1070 for $325, then sold it a month later to miners for $500, and used that to buy my current 1080 for $475. So, free upgrade!

Two years ago I built an X99 rig similar to yours made from used and open box parts. i7-5820K cost $250, Gigabyte X99 UD3P $70 open box, 4 x 4GB DDR4 2666 $85 open box, so total cost = $405. After a year of faithful service, I sold it for $525 Shipped.

After that I purchased a dual LGA 2011 combo with dual E5 2670s and 64GB DDR 1600 Reg/ECC for $375. Immediately sold the RAM for $200 and bought 32GB DDR 1333 Reg/ECC for $50. So out of pocket cost down to around $225. Then sold that combo a few months later for $525 shipped so $300 profit. I used that to play with Ryzen stuff that I either returned to Microcenter after a couple of weeks or with the last one sold it for exactly what I paid for it after a month or so.

Now with the $300 profit still in my PayPal account, I recently put together another dual LGA 2011 setup with dual E5 2640s and 32GB DDR3 1333 Reg/ECC for under $250 and still have cash in my PayPal account so it was essentially free.

That's how its done! :cheers:

I usually buy used as well. Got some extra cash last six months and indulged myself a bit! ;)

Well now that Intel "released" coffee lake maybe I'll hold off till the end of the year.

Not sure if I'll sell my current setup or use it to upgrade one of my other rigs. Can't imagine I'd get much for a 1366 cpu and mobo.

Well now that Intel "released" coffee lake maybe I'll hold off till the end of the year.

Not sure if I'll sell my current setup or use it to upgrade one of my other rigs. Can't imagine I'd get much for a 1366 cpu and mobo.

1366 mbs are a hot item right now ppl are selling them for 200+ because ppl can pick up a used xeon chip so cheep .

I'll entertain selling the mobo/cpu/ram together. Most of my other rigs are 32bit so no need for more DDR3.
I'm thinking my current WC setup is plenty for any new cpu with a new CPU block.

Honestly I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with either a Z270, X299 or X370 build.

Definitely, if anything it might make prices on 7th gen chips lower.
I'll just be happy to be able to utilize these SSD drives fully instead of the gimped SATA on most 1366 boards.

Ryzen is a bust, Threadripper is as well; AMD shoved too many cores onto a platform with insufficient memory bandwidth to feed them. The closest thing to what you have now is the HEDT platform with Skylake-E and the other i9s which means to get any really meaningful improvement is going to be $1000+ and anything short of that will just look nicer and not use as much power.

Not sure where you're coming from on this, but I disagree. Ryzen is a dual memory channel setup and it has memory bandwidth comparable to Intel dual channel setups. True there were teething pains when Ryzen 7 was introduced...being a new architecture and all, but I think that's to be expected with something brand new. AGESA 1.0.0.6 has mostly eliminated the early problems with memory compatibility for Ryzen. Threadripper introduced with most of those problems already solved. There's nothing wrong with x399 memory bandwidth.

NotAccurate.png

That's my rig...almost straight out of the box. It's literally a mess of cables and hoses on a test bench at this point. I haven't even begun to optimize it...yet the memory bandwidth is quite good...particularly as this is a bargain bin quad channel memory kit that seems to be stuck at 2.933Ghz and CL16. Single rank 4x8GB kits are hitting 3600Mhz on x399. I also get kind of a chuckle out of the big to do being made out of Zen latencies. Seems like a bunch being made of mostly nothing. While latencies aren't quite as good with x299 for instance, they're not far behind the higher core count Intel chips with mesh architecture and as usual with AMD your dollars buy more HEDT computing power.

IMO Ryzen represents the best bang for buck value available for a general purpose computer...only hardcore gamers need look elsewhere(7700k). As far as HEDT platforms go, I think threadripper cleans Intel's clock.

Edit: Disregard last...can definitely get CL14 out of the cheap blue red light special memory.

AidaBandwidth_3.975_2.93_14.15.15.15.34_NUMA_AidaOptimized.png

Last edited:
Back