• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I moved from the UK to Australia and the only one thing I hate here is the DSL internet, capped to 250GB/mo
It's the pits!

Welcome back to the forum, I'm just starting here so kinda the same (not really :D )

Well im looking at either a R7 1700x w/Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero for $499.98
or a
i7 7700K w/ Asus ROG STRIX Z270E for $459.98
or a
i7 7800X w/ Asus ROG STRIX X299-E for $669.98

Honestly the small amount ive read so far kind of leads me to believe either of these combos are going to be within 10-15% of each other.
And since im upgrading from a 1st gen i7 all will be noticeably faster/responsive.

I moved from the UK to Australia and the only one thing I hate here is the DSL internet, capped to 250GB/mo
It's the pits!

That's the only thing? What about the snakes, spiders, scorpions, dingos, great whites, crocs, and flesh eating sea mites!

Honestly the small amount ive read so far kind of leads me to believe either of these combos are going to be within 10-15% of each other.
And since im upgrading from a 1st gen i7 all will be noticeably faster/responsive.

What kind of monitor you using? 1080p@60hz?
If so then the 7700K pushes the most fps in most games.
Once you start pushing anything higher, res or hz things get closer and closer until any current cpu pretty much pushes the same fps because of GPU limitations. And if you are gaming at 1080p@60hz your pushing more fps than you need anyway.

Here's a good article comparing the 7700K\7800X at stock and OC for gaming at low res.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1445-core-i7-7800x-vs-7700k/

What you do get out of the X299 platform is some newer tech and it will be around longer and might have an upgrade path along with the X370 platform.

Its an older LG LED 1080p monitor, not sure about the specs.
Might just go R7 1700x and put the money saved over X299 into a newer GPU.

That's the only thing? What about the snakes, spiders, scorpions, dingos, great whites, crocs, and flesh eating sea mites!

I've not seen many but the ones I have seen have all complained about the internet speeds also :D

Back