• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock AMD fx 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AOD is next to nothing as load on cpu. Intel Burn Test a little tougher in a few areas; slacker in stressing in others when compared to P95 Blend. If you cannot pass P95 Blend mode then in some respect you are not tweaked exactly right. I can pass both IBT and P95 Blend mode before I pronounce my system stable for me. YMMV.
RGone...

I do not deny what u say,but i run Prime 95 at default setting in bios frequent CPU 3,5 GHz everything on auto and he crash after 20min.How do you explain i make stable for 16 hours and when i repet the test he crash after an hour?Now i turned on AC in rom to be sure.I'm sorry I have not repeated the test when i make stable for 32 hours on mobo Gigabyte ud5,i m very curious if passed second time

You're absolutely right about ram,unfortunately i dont have another memory ram to try.Now i download IBT AVX and i try.

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELP

I see they are in version 28 now of P95. The last working 64 bit one was 27.9. They had some FX-8350s that would not complete stock on some Giga and Asrock boards because the bios did not give enough Vcore for P95 Blend to run. CPU is supposed to give VIDD and the board interpret that and set Vcore, but bios writers can dork that number up.

But we have all seen setups that were getting close that would run P95 Blend or IBT but not both without further tweaking. I have seen them run P95 Blend and not IBT and also the other way around. It required that furhter tweaking be done to get both to run equally well. Most often when have had to deal with such behavior it was: 1.) Vcore. 2.) Ram. 3.) CPU_NB speed or voltage.

We all spend enough time, effort and even money to "try" to get stability out of an overclock and I do not want my rigs to be less than stable with about any of the normal stressors we ues. Heck that is me though. Others may have other ideas and that is them. It is their rig after-all.
RGone...

Temp on core max 52 degrees.Too bad I can not find someone which has the same motherboard and cpu to copy settings bios to see if is stable

I have Sabertooth 990FX R1, I don't know if the BIOS settings are the same for both boards, I currently have a FX-8120 oced to 3.6GHZ with core temps at 39c +/- 1c with 100% CPU load. I'll see if I can get to 4.2 and let you know what settings I have if that will help.

I download Prime 95 28.5 and i will try
WhitehawkEQ from what i understed no big difference between motherboards

Hello ! I need some advice.I have a FX 8320 processor and Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard R2.0.
My target is 4,2GHz
I use the following settings
CPU LLC - Ultra High
CPU/NB - High
CPU Current Capability - 130%
CPU/NB Current Capability - 130%
CPU Powe Phase Control - Extreme
Cpu Voltage - 1,381
Cpu VDDA Voltage -2.6250
C&N,C1E,SVM,C6,HPC,AMP- Disabled
Multiplier -21
CPU/NB Frequency -2200 default
HT Lin Speed - 2600 default
RAM Profile -DOCP -OC Profile tu run the 1600 MHz (Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9)
Problem - i run 30 tests in Intel Burn Test and it goes smoothly,in Prime 95 after 3 hours freezes

I have the same setup as you and I can already say some of these settings are too high as in you don't need that much voltage used.

CPU LLC - Low or Medium
CPU/NB - Low or Medium
CPU Current Capability - 100% or auto
CPU/NB Current Capability - 100% or auto
CPU Powe Phase Control - auto
Cpu Voltage - 1,350v's or close to that, if it runs OK with this voltage, go for less voltage used if possible.
Cpu VDDA Voltage -auto
Multiplier -21
CPU/NB Frequency -2200 default
HT Lin Speed - 2600 default
RAM Profile -DOCP -OC Profile tu run the 1600 MHz (Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9)

Note that I have changed several settings to "Auto" as a suggestion, the 8320 chip runs hot and FX chips respond well to voltage used. "Auto" settings for no more than the speeds you are wanting should be sufficient in just about any case I can think of in reference what I've indicated as such.

OK - I've ran into this with my 8320 and the biggest problem I had was temps under load - You have 8 cores running under the CPU's lid and these will generate alot of heat. You'd want to run things with as little voltage as possible to help combat this problem. If temps under load, not idle are going past 55c, better cooling is required before these speeds can be used realistically. Load temps are what's important, idle temps are just that but are sometimes an indicator that a temp problem might exist if you know what to look for.

I can also say these chips have a limit as to how much multiplier they like with standard cooling or really any cooling for that fact.
You could try raising the bus to compensate and that might help things some. Remember that the higher your multiplier is, the harder your CPU is working to operate at that speed, shifting some of this load onto the NB is helpful. As an example, 19x with a bus speed of 222FSB ='s 4218MHz, so you don't have to drop the CPU multi alot or clock up the bus too much to reach that desired speed. Only real thing is to watch how your RAM acts, all else should be OK since under most circumstances the system should be able to run this way without having to do any real overvolting. I'll also throw in using CPU current capability past 100% will cause temps to go higher since the board will attempt to compensate for loads it runs into BUT since you're not going for extreme OC's it's not really needed here.

BTW lower you HT speed, anything past 2400MHz has a chance to corrupt your HDD, effectively hosing your OS if it ever does. I've never had that to happen before but it's best to play it safe than be sorry, besides you won't get any benefit that can be noted from it being that high anyway.
Watch load temps and see what happens.
I'm basing the above on my experience with my 8320 and Sabertooth 2.0 setup so yours should act closely to how mine does overall.

Last edited:
Good advice.I have no problem with temperature i have in my case 8 fans(120 mm)1fans(140mm) and cooler CPU is Noctua D14,in Prime 95 temp on CPU/core is the maxim 44 degreers and medium 38 degrees.On IBT is the maxim 51-52 and medium 44.(overclock at 4,2GHz).I have not posted anything because i tried different setting with Prime 95 28.5,and said to take it from the beginning
And i make this setting
Memory Frequency - 800MHz
CPU/NB Frequency - auto (2200)
HT Link Speed - auto (2200)I do not know what went on 2200 MHz when default is 2600
CPU LLC -UH
CPU/NB LLC - H
CPU Curent Capability - 130
CPU/NB Curent Capabilty - 130
CPU Powe Phase Control - Extreme
Dram Curent Capabilty - 120

CPU V - 1.381
CPU VDDA - 2.69
Dram V -1.5
The firs time when i run Prime 95 froze after 3 hours,and i had a feeling to run again the test and after 24 h still work and i stop the test.I do not understand why it works once and second time its frozen.
Now I will follow your advice,and starts other test

Greeting!
Now a month I found the settings to pass 24 H in Prime 95(28.5).With these settings i passed - IBT 40 tests,AOD 24 H,Prime 95 I stopped the test after 27 H.
I decided to post the settings to help other owners of AMD FX8320-Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2 (I know that processors do not resemble each other,but it's a starting point to overclock)
Settings are for 4,4GHz

Attachments

• IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    973.4 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    974.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    993.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 310
Looks good Gameru, just for future reference you can take screen shots in bios with the F12 key and save them to a USB formatted in FAT32

Back