• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock freeze.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

malt1328

Registered
Hi. yeasterday i OC my pc with AMD Overdrive, i had never gone OC before and the i though that the program will auto restart / stop the proesse after a specifc time. i was going away from keyboard in over 2 hours and i saw that when i came back to my pc that it has been freezed over a hour. i manullay restarted my PC at the startup buttom becouse the PC was 100 % freezed :( after i restarted it took 2-3 mins to startup when the Windows logo loading thingy was doing and the Welcome message. normally it only takes 1,30 secs to start up. but i also noticed that everything i was trying to open took amount of time to startup Fx to change website or even just playing Black ops 2 which i normally could without any lag but after i OC it just made everything go 10 times slower :( My pc is running extra slow after the OC and im really woried that somthing is damaged ;_; i hope someone know how to reverse or know what to do for helping me to reverse the OC or something ;_; please....
sorry for bad english, im from denmark :)

EDIT:
PC SPECS:
MBAM3 Gigabye GA-970A-DS3
AMD FX- 8150 Buldozer ( AMD FX -8150 8 core)
CPUK CoolerMaster Hyper TX 3
DDR3-1600 Kingston 4GB HyperX Single mod * 2
HDS 500GB Seagate HDD 6GB/s
Radeon HD7870 2GB DDR5 PCi-E
PSU RaidMax RX-700AC 80+ Bronze
Windows 7 Home Premium

Last edited:
Malt welcome, give us the specs on your pc and don't use overdrive to overclock. I would go into the BIOS and set everything back to default.

Thanks, Manrake :) i did just add the specs if you reload the site :) and how do i reset the things in the BIOS ? do you have a video tutorial or pics tutorial or just text tutorial? :)

When you get in to your bios there is an option to load defaults. Use that.

That said, there is a guide in my signature (bulldozer o/c guide) that can help you out. Read up on that until the experts come in (well, mandrake is here, there are others). It will give you a good backround and should allow you to start on your own.

Malt, in your first post you say you motherboard is a GA-980A-DS3. There is no such thing. Did you mean to say GA-970A-DS3?

@EarthDog but if i do the bios thing what will happen? will the system reinstall from the start or what? :s
@trents i just edited :) My mistake.. got too big fingers :)

malt, the motherboard you have is not a good one for overclocking the eight core Bulldozer and Pile Driver CPUs. The electronic components of the board are not very heavy duty and those eight core FX CPUs draw huge amounts of power when you overclock them. That board only had 4+1 power phase and you really need a board with 8+2 power phase to overclock those CPUs. However, your motherboard should be adequate for running the CPU at stock speeds and voltages.

But the problem is now that my pc is running extream slower... so should i:
Reinstall windows
OR
set the defualt settings in the BIOS which i dont know what will happen :s

First, I would try resetting the CMOS to return the board to it's original bios settings. Somewhere on the motherboard there is a small 3 pin connector with a jumper bridging two of the three pins. Usually, it is near the small round flat battery, but not always. Start by powering down the computer and unplugging the PSU from the wall outlet. Wait for all the lights on the board to die out. Then move the jumper over form pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. Leave it there for 15 seconds for so. Then move it back to pins 1 and 2. Then power back up. Go into bios and set your time and date and any other non-overclocking preferences. Now, on some motherboards, they have a nice button to push for resetting the CMOS. Consult your owner's manual if necessary.

I suggest resetting the CMOS first because if it works you will avoid the time-consuming hassle of reinstalling Windows. And by the way, have you tried restoring to stock frequencies and voltages with AMDOverdrive itself? There should be a way with the program to cancel the changes and return to default bios settings. The other thing about AMDOverdrive is that unless you tell it to load the overclock profile you create with the program when Windows loads, it will not automatically apply that profile when you reboot. In other words, the changes it makes to bios are temporary unless you tell AMDOD to load the OC profile upon boot up.

But im just worried about that if i lose my warranty of my computer if i open the case :s and do you know where i can see a SAFE tutorial :)

Oh, you did not build this system, then. You really don't need to know anything else than what I've told you about resetting the CMOS. As long as there is not power to the motherboard before you return the jumper to it's original position then there is no risk of harming the hardware. And, yes, you will need to open the box to do this unless there is a CMOS reset button on the back of the computer where the I/O ports are.

Should i get more fans too? becouse i can only play battlefield 3 and battlefield bad company 2 like.. 10 mins only :( becouse of the overheat... there is like only 20° in that room im in and HW Monitor tells me that it gets 60°+ when playing games... and 50° when my pc is idle in the back ground with nothing really open...

How many places for fans does your case have? You should get fans for every available fan hole except possible the side panel. I'm not keen on side panel fans unless your video card is overheating as side panel fans tend to disrupt the overall air flow in the case. I will attach a picture of what good case air flow should look like. The air should move from front down low to back up high. The fans in the front (intake fans) should be drawing in cool air from the outside and pushing it toward the back and the fans in the top and back of the case should be pushing warmed air out of the case.

Also, I feel you CM Hyper TX3 is quite inadequate as a cooler for an eight core FX CPU.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 101
This is the picture of it.. i can only find this img..

Attachments

• G-series_small.jpg
    G-series_small.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Here's how to post an image malt.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 98
Malt, do you have a camera phone or digital camera you could take pictures with?

Last edited:
Please standby, that im trying to get a answer from the company i bought the PC from so i can be sure that if i lose my warranty of my computer if i open the case ...

Okay, i just talked to the company that if i destory anything BY MYSELF i wont have warranty. but alot of other treads told me that a AMD have a BIOS thing called " Cool'n Quiet " that makes games slower Fx Battlefield bad company 2 and Battlefield 3.. But could there be any chance that i can destory anything in the computer if i turn " Cool'n Quiet " off? :) I just need to ask permission by a friend to take the photos of the computer :)

Cool N Quiet is only active at idle. As soon as you put the system under load it releases. The trouble with it is that when overclocking it makes it difficult to tell what your multipliers and frequencies actually are so overclockers generally disable it in bios. It won't hurt anything to disable it but it won't help your performance either.

Back