• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock freeze.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The wattage rating of your current PSU is not the problem, it's the lack of quality of the build. A 550W quality PSU would be plenty.
The problem with the raidmax is the dual rail design which would do fine in some circumstances where the individual rails are not being stressed as I suggested in my earlier post. The Raidmax PSU I'm using in the HTPC is 730 watts which seems excessive for a quadcore PII 965 CPU and an HD6850. But the power supply only puts out about 22 amps per rail. Or 260 watts which was border line when I had the 9800GT's in SLI. They would use 260 watts and the power was'nt consistent enough so the system would crash.
So in your case the PSU puts out 23amps per rail (275 watts) That FX 8150 especially if you OC wil be looking for upwards of 300 watts and even at stock frequencies will have spikes where it needs extra juice even for a half second and the PSU can't compensate. So it crashes the system.
Top that off with a weak VRM section and voila a computer that just won't run.

The other problem is that cheap power supplies often state their wattage rating based on peak power output rather than what the can sustain over a long time so that the wattage ratings are quite exaggerated.

Back