• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock fx 4100 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kitz_chris91

Registered
im new to over clocking. what steps do i need to take in order to overclock my cpu. im not looking to do anything crazy just see how far i can push it on the stock cooler.

spec:
cpu- amd fx-4100
mobo- asrock 970 extreme 4
gpu- ati radeon hd-5770
hds- 2 western digital 1tb
case- antec 900

can provide more information if needed.

Right there at the top of the AMD forum section is this 'sticky'. >>
ocfsticky Sticky Thread Sticky: AMD CPUs Ultimate Sticky Thread << First overclock discussed is the Bulldozer processor.

What PSU do you have and what are you cooling the CPU with? Stock cooler or aftermarket and if the latter, what is the make and model of the cooler?

What PSU do you have and what are you cooling the CPU with? Stock cooler or aftermarket and if the latter, what is the make and model of the cooler?
Its the stock cooler. im running the stock fans. 2 120mm front intake. 1 120mm sidepanel exhaust. 1 120mm rear exhaust. and 1 top 200 mm exhaust top.

heres a link to my idle temps and other info if it helps at all
speedfanstock_zps85dfa02f.png

I would suggest using HWMonitor instead of Speedfan. There are three standard "helper" programs we use on the forum: HWMonitor, CPU-z, and Prime95. Please download and install them if you haven't already. Post back when that's done and I'll help you run a baseline load temp test to check for temp headroom.

I would suggest using HWMonitor instead of Speedfan. There are three standard "helper" programs we use on the forum: HWMonitor, CPU-z, and Prime95. Please download and install them if you haven't already. Post back when that's done and I'll help you run a baseline load temp test to check for temp headroom.

heres all at idle.

cpuidstock_zps89e37c59.png

cpuzstock_zps5e9cd300.png

p95stock_zps193e95ad.png

Now, with HWMonitor open on the desktop, run the Prime95 blend stress test for 20 minutes. As soon as that is done post back with an attached pic of HWMonitor so we can look at max temps under full CPU load.

Now, with HWMonitor open on the desktop, run the Prime95 blend stress test for 20 minutes. As soon as that is done post back with an attached pic of HWMonitor so we can look at max temps under full CPU load.

heres hw monitor after 20 mins.
cpuid20minp95_zpsed84fab5.png

Okay, for future reference, we know that AMD FX CPU's start to become unstable when "package temps" (the new term for core temps) begin to exceed about 60c and when CPUTIN (CPU socket temp) starts to exceed about 70c. In your overclocking, keep that in mind. Every time you run a Prime95 stress test you should have HWMonitor open just as you have done.

Now, go into bios and turn off the "green" technologies that down-throttle frequencies and voltages and mess with overclocking. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo core (or whatever term they use), C6 and APM. You may have to look in various places in the bios to find all these things. Some of them are not in the main overclocking section. Also go into Windlows Control Panel Power Options and make sure that High Performance is selected. Post back when that's done.

Okay, for future reference, we know that AMD FX CPU's start to become unstable when "package temps" (the new term for core temps) begin to exceed about 60c and when CPUTIN (CPU socket temp) starts to exceed about 70c. In your overclocking, keep that in mind. Every time you run a Prime95 stress test you should have HWMonitor open just as you have done.

Now, go into bios and turn off the "green" technologies that down-throttle frequencies and voltages and mess with overclocking. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo core (or whatever term they use), C6 and APM. You may have to look in various places in the bios to find all these things. Some of them are not in the main overclocking section. Also go into Windlows Control Panel Power Options and make sure that High Performance is selected. Post back when that's done.

looked around really didnt find any "green" technologies. Everything else was disabled as requested though.

No, i guess I wasn't clear. The "green" technologies are the things I asked you to disable: Cool N Quiet, C1E, etc. Around here we lump them together in the category of "green" stuff. Power-saving, temp reducing, etc., which is great except when you want to overclock.

Okay, now put your main overclocking bios control on "Manual" instead of Auto or whatever is default. Keep in mind that "Auto" hides a lot of manual controls. So now what you need to do is to increase the CPU multiplier (maybe called "CPU (core or frequency "ratio" or something similar) by .5x over the stock 18x. In other words, set it to 18.5x. Then run the 20 minute Prime95 stress test again. If the test completes (no BSOD, lockup, spontaneous restart or one or more of the Prime95 core workers doesn't drop out) go back into bios and increase the CPU multiplier by .5x again. Keep doing that until you fail the stress test. What we're doing is seeing how far you can go in the stock CPU vcore (core voltage). Since you have the stock cooler you won't be able to add much vcore. Post back when you fail the stress test. And when you post, attach pics of these three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

No, i guess I wasn't clear. The "green" technologies are the things I asked you to disable: Cool N Quiet, C1E, etc. Around here we lump them together in the category of "green" stuff. Power-saving, temp reducing, etc., which is great except when you want to overclock.

Okay, now put your main overclocking bios control on "Manual" instead of Auto or whatever is default. Keep in mind that "Auto" hides a lot of manual controls. So now what you need to do is to increase the CPU multiplier (maybe called "CPU (core or frequency "ratio" or something similar) by .5x over the stock 18x. In other words, set it to 18.5x. Then run the 20 minute Prime95 stress test again. If the test completes (no BSOD, lockup, spontaneous restart or one or more of the Prime95 core workers doesn't drop out) go back into bios and increase the CPU multiplier by .5x again. Keep doing that until you fail the stress test. What we're doing is seeing how far you can go in the stock CPU vcore (core voltage). Since you have the stock cooler you won't be able to add much vcore. Post back when you fail the stress test. And when you post, attach pics of these three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Sorry for the delayed response, but im not sure what you mean, im thinking you mean the cpu frequency as thats what its listed as in my bios. the problem is it says nothing about 18x or adding .5x it has it listed in MHZ which it is currently set at 200. so am i to add 5 to that test prime then repeat?

Sorry for the delayed response, but im not sure what you mean, im thinking you mean the cpu frequency as thats what its listed as in my bios. the problem is it says nothing about 18x or adding .5x it has it listed in MHZ which it is currently set at 200. so am i to add 5 to that test prime then repeat?

I think it's the "Multiplier/Voltage Change" tool in OC Tweaker. Take it off of Auto. This should allow you to manually enter values for the CPU multiplier and the CPU voltage.

Also, under "CPU Configuration" disable "CPU Thermal Throttle".

You may wind-up having to post the actual pics of YOUR bios since I have looked into quite a few pics of that boards bios and so far this is what I have found.

Stupid Asrock programming. In the AXTU software tuning utility the CPU Ratio is clearly labeled just like that, but in the bios itself it is called Cpu Frequency multiplier according to the reading displayed in the Asrock Monitor button across top of bios screen. Silly as way doing stuff.

I think it's the "Multiplier/Voltage Change" tool in OC Tweaker. Take it off of Auto. This should allow you to manually enter values for the CPU multiplier and the CPU voltage.

Also, under "CPU Configuration" disable "CPU Thermal Throttle".

you were correct i found the multiplier have it at 18.5 now will run prime for 20 minutes and post back when its finished

Yeah, my advice about the "Multiplier/voltage Control" was based on the online manual PDF file. But what the manual shows and what actually appears in bios are often quite different. The best way is for the OP to take digital camera pics of the actual bios sections and attach them to his posts. That way those helping will be able to see exactly what the OP sees.

ok no errors but i took it up to 20x and it got hot fast after about ten minutes this is what hwmonitor was showing
cpuidafterdisablebiosx2010min_zps48067f92.png

so i shut prime down. should i have let it go. if i did would it have damaged my computer or would it auto off if things got to hot. and what are the next steps i should take

Back