• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Has Stopped Working [Shoot Me!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sketterman

Hey Folks,

Prereq's:

- I've searched the forums, seems there are many issues similar to mine, but I'm yet to discover a fix, so here I am
- I've overclocked this very system multiple times in the past, no changes in hardware have occurred, overclock no longer takes effect (or so it seems)
- System Info:

Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V (BIOS version 3603 x64)
CPU - i7 2600k
OS - Windows 10 Professional x64
RAM - 16GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz

My main issue is that when I overclock my CPU in my BIOS, it is either not taking effect, or no software within Windows is recognizing the overclock speed (Windows Performance Monitor, CPUID/CPU-Z, Prime 95, AI Suite, etc). All of these apps, when opened, show the stock speed of 3.4GHz.

A little background - I'm beginning to suspect it *may* have something to do with Windows 10. When I initially installed Windows 10, it was the free upgrade path. I previously had Windows 7 Pro x64, and my CPU was overclocked at the time of the upgrade. Due to having some power issues, I reset by BIOS to factory settings, and now, when I overclock, I'm having this issue.

BIOS Settings (I'm listing only the settings that I have modified, but will list everything if necessary to figure this out):

AI TWEAKER TAB:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
Turbo Ratio - By all cores [45 each core]
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
Load Line Calibration - Extreme
VRM Frequency - Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode - 350
Duty Control - Extreme
CPU Current Capability - 140%
CPU Voltage - Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.25
CPU PLL Overvoltage - 1.7
CPU Spread Spectrum - Enabled

ADVANCED TAB:

[CPU Configuration Sub Menu]

-CPU Ratio - 45

Other Notes:

- I've already confirmed I have the most up to date BIOS version
- I've reset my BIOS via removal of the CMOS battery
- I've tried using the AI Suite TurboV EVO, it does it's thing, and says successful, but all indications are the CPU is still at factory speed
- Along with that, I considered thay AI Suite may be causing an issue with manually overclocking via BIOS, so I uninstalled it, reset BIOS via jumpers, but no avail.

Many of the threads I've read so far regarding my motherboard and CPU have said to disable "Turbo Mode". I've found that as soon as I change the CPU multiplierr to *anything* above the factory speed (34), Turbo Mode automatically enables itself, and the setting becomes grayed out, so I cannot even change it. I don't remember if this happened previously before I upgraded to Windows 10 or not, but in my BIOS, on the "AI TWEAKER" tab, as soon as this happens, it also says "Target CPU Turbo Speed ####MHz".

Now, if I F5 to reset all settings, then go into the AI TWEAKER Tab, under the CPU POWER MANAGEMENT sub-menu, I can THEN manually disable Turbo Mode, and the above then reads "Target CPU Speed". However, I no longer have the option to adjust the multiplier in this tab. I have to go into the ADVANCED tab and change it, but again, as soon as I set it over 34, turbo mode automatically enabled itself.

This seems like a hot mess. I am 99.9% sure I used these exact settings (actually I've had my multiplier stable up to 48) previously with this exact same setup minus Windows 10, so I am at a complete loss as to why I can't get this to work. I know this is a lot of info but I figured the more the better, right? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading,

Shaun

I think I've figured it out, so for those who are having this issue, a potential fix:

I had gone into msiconfig.exe, "Boot" tab, "Advanced Options" button, and checked "Number of processors, 4", a little while ago when I was trying to figure out why my mouse was jittery. A few posts I read suggested to try this (didn't fix the mouse issue). Anyways, I went in and unchecked that box, and on the "General" tab, I checked the "Normal Startup" button and rebooted. I initially got a BSOD, along with "repair your PC", but I rebooted again, and Windows loaded, and it is recognizing the OC.

One weird thing is that in Msiconfig, the general tab has reverted back to the "Selective Startup" button...not sure what this means, but at least the OC is working again.

Just so you're aware, OS has no bearing on bios overclocking. If you can't OC in the bios anymore, it's not the OS that's causing it.

Back