• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephyr1

Hey everybody I just got finished building my new pc and started my overclock and got to 4.5ghz on a I5 6600k and my motherboard is a gigabyte z170x gaming GT. I am stable at 4.5ghz with 1.270v manual vcore and have 16gigs of ram set at 3200. My problem is I cant figure out how to get my vcore to step down to min volts when the cpu is idle it just sticks around the 1.270v full time. My VID on the other hand does come down to 0.800v on cpu Idle. So My question is can I just leave my vcore at a steady 1.270v full time ? and if so is that going to shorten cpu life span or is there a way with the gigabyte bios to have it lower on cpu idle? Any info would be great. Thanks Zephyr1

If you use and offset in BIOS for your V-Core instead of setting 1.27v it should allow the board to lower the voltage automatically. Make sure that EIST and other power savers are still active in BIOS as well

CPUs are designed for a 10-year life span. Your over-volting it to 1.27v isn't going to reduce the life span appreciably.

Besides, you need a combination of high voltage and high heat to really reduce the life span. Keep your CPU cool with a custom water cooling setup and you could over-volt it to 1.45v -- it would still last long enough that you would be replacing the entire system before the CPU died.

Back