• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock not showing in windows all of a sudden.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Hey Team,
So apologies from the get go as this is being typed 6? shots of tequila in.

I booted up the computer and decided to open HWmonitor becuase it's cold in the house and I wanted to see what it was idling at. I noticed that my Overclock is no longer applied. It was as of earlier this week. It's back at stock 3.2 Ghz. Opened up CPUz and my memory is now back at stock 2100 and CPU 3.2.

• proceeded to go into my bios and it said that the CPU was clocked at 3900 and the memory was at 2100. Odd.
  • Unclicked and then clicked XMP again and it put the memory back to 3200. Loading into windows and it still says 3.2 and 2100 on HW and CPUZ.
  • Went back into the bios to check in see if any "cool n quite" ect. had been enabled somehow but nothing.
  • Reloaded windows once more and it's still showing 3.2 2100.
  • Proceeded to run Cinebench and Prime and the CPU does not even move off 3.2 GHZ.

I opened task manager and it's showing the CPU going between 2.9 - 3.1 but never above 3.2 under load.

I looked around online but nothing helpful.

Update: Well I think I'm having a memory problem.

I reset everything in the bios to default, booted, restarted and then applied my overclocked again but by mistake used XMP profile 1 which puts the memory at 29xx. I booted into windows and had my overclock back and tested my CB score and it was inline with what I had before. Upon noticing the memory was running at the wrong speed I rebooted and applied the other XMP profile to put the memory back to 3200. When I did this the system restarted and the powered off. It then powered on for a second and powered off 4 or 5 more times before successfully going through a boot cycle.

When I got into windows it's all back to stock with the exception of the Vcore just like before.

Make sure in Windows your Power Options are set to High Performance.

Okay well I got it back. I had to reset bios to default again, boot, restart and set XMP profile 2 making the memory run at 3200 and then boot. Restart once more and finally overclock the CPU to 3.9. No idea why this worked, im honestly at a loss... Dumb luck I guess.

Know what you mean. I'd like to have a ten spot for every tech thing that finally got righted but I tried so many things before I finally got it to work that I have no idea what I did.

Windows 7 used to show a downclocked speed for my OC with an old Phenom. OC by 200 MHz? Windows showed it 200 MHz slower than stock. I gave up because it didn't matter. LOL

That's how the new platform behaves. If the OC settings don't take it just boots to stock CPU and Memory settings. You can look for a retry function in BIOS I can't remember if that board had it or not but what it does is retry your OC the number of times you select. Sometimes the IMC just needs to be warmed up a bit before it'll behave

Mine is doing the same thing. I tried your "dumb luck" method, and it's on High Performance, and still no luck. It shows up in windows properties, but not on HWM or CPUz. I'm stumped.

Mine is doing the same thing. I tried your "dumb luck" method, and it's on High Performance, and still no luck. It shows up in windows properties, but not on HWM or CPUz. I'm stumped.

Hey SB So i had this happen again somewhat recently and I basically did the same thing and it worked fine for me again. Both time this happened was when I did a shutdown, but it certainly does not do it every time I shutdown. Just gets in moods? Are you booting into windows after every step to see if it's working, e.g. reset, boot, XMP, boot, Overclock, boot. And if so - does windows recognize any of the steps e.g. Memory running at XMP profile speed...

Also - might be a silly question but I don't want to assume, when you are moving setting back to default are you manually doing it or "loading optimized defaults". I ask because it took me a min, might have actually looked it up, to figure out what to push to load optimized defaults on the MoBo. Not sure if it's me just never owning a MSI MoBo or that is's poorly designed bios. Know I've read multiple complains about bios kinda sucking on this mobo.

Check for an updated BIOS. Initially Ryzen would encounter a "cold boot" issue if the IMC was below 20C. Newer BIOS seem to have cleared this up for the most part. You can also try setting a mem fail retry. It's labelled differently on different boards but it'll reboot a few times which will give the IMC a chance to warm up

Back