• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D4NTE

Registered
my mobo: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS FX/

processor: amd athlon 64 x2 5000+

ram: kvr800d2n6 1gb

I made fbs 230, ram 667mhz , timings 5-5-5-18 cr2 , voltage 1.35V , ht link 960 mhz but pc didn't start i just wait at windows screen and nothing.when i made overclock from oc utility games start freezing and then blue screen.

Right off the bat, we should know what kind of cooler you're using and what your temps are. Just based on what you provided here I'm guessing you need more voltage, but without knowing temps I wouldn't advise increasing that just yet. A 230FSB is quite a leap for these chips, try 215 or 220 first until you get stability, then you can slowly increase that along with slight bumps in voltage. Choosing 230FSB at an arbitrary voltage is doing it backwards.

Until you can provide your CPU cooler model and your current CPU temperatures, do some research on the forum and find out what others have accomplished with your chip and what settings they used. But don't touch voltage until you know your temps!

Also, you'll see a performance gain by running faster RAM in dual-channel mode, that single stick of DDR2-667 is not doing you any favors. Increasing HT link is probably not worth it and will only contribute to instability at this point.

Right off the bat, we should know what kind of cooler you're using and what your temps are. Just based on what you provided here I'm guessing you need more voltage, but without knowing temps I wouldn't advise increasing that just yet. A 230FSB is quite a leap for these chips, try 215 or 220 first until you get stability, then you can slowly increase that along with slight bumps in voltage. Choosing 230FSB at an arbitrary voltage is doing it backwards.

Until you can provide your CPU cooler model and your current CPU temperatures, do some research on the forum and find out what others have accomplished with your chip and what settings they used. But don't touch voltage until you know your temps!

Also, you'll see a performance gain by running faster RAM in dual-channel mode, that single stick of DDR2-667 is not doing you any favors. Increasing HT link is probably not worth it and will only contribute to instability at this point.

i'm using thermaltake contac 30 and temp is good it is around 30-35 degrees in game

I'm still going to need you to search the forums and see what other people have accomplished with your chip. You've got a great CPU cooler and you can look for the higher end of voltages and clocks when tuning your setup. The instability you're experiencing is because your voltage is too low for the FSB you are trying to run, but before increasing voltage I again would advise lowering FSB to 220 or so and trying to get stability. Then you can increase it slowly and bump up vCore slowly.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. And then we have a baseline from which to operate from.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

ghczh.jpg

i made the voltage 1.35V and fsb 220 it worked fine for 15 minutes after that it started freezing and pc locked i couldn't even move the mouse but i'm sure that it doesn't heat it was around 40 degrees.

it works fine at 1.375V but isn't it too much just for 20 fsb more.

You probably need to reduce the HT Link frquency. The board and the CPU are rated for a HT Link of 1000 mhz and you are exceeding that already. Whether you have an adjustment for that in bios is another matter.

You probably need to reduce the HT Link frquency. The board and the CPU are rated for a HT Link of 1000 mhz and you are exceeding that already. Whether you have an adjustment for that in bios is another matter.

i made it x4 800 mhz.same thing happened

i made it 231 fsb and 1.5V.At this high voltage cpu's life will drastically decrease, wont it ?

Yeah, but he's got a different motherboard than you do and the rest of his system is different too. The only thing that's the same is the CPU.

You say your temps are low but it's not just the CPU (socket) temps one has to be concerned about. There are also "core" temps which are even more important. And then there can be heat-related stability problems with the motherboard components such as the NB and the VRMs. Please download and install HWMonitor and Prime95. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes at the last stable overclock settings that will allow you to complete the 20 minute blend test. Then post back with a pic of HWMonitor attached please. Your CPU has a Windsor core 90nm fabrication process and those thing run hot! I'm guessing your temps are higher than you think, especially if you have been using a vcore of over 1.5v.

Last edited:
i made it 231 fsb and 1.5V.At this high voltage cpu's life will drastically decrease, wont it ?

It will likely last longer than you will own it before upgrading as long as your temps aren't excessive. Let's check that out. Please run the stress test I outline in the previous post and post back with a pic of HWMonitor after the test. If core temps exceed 65c or CPU socket temps exceed 70c, stop the test.

gj16f.jpg

i didn't have time to make longer than 5 minutes but temps are good so can i use it with 1.5V ? will it be safe ?

AID64 is not a very vigorous stress testing program. I believe I had asked you to use Prime95 (the blend test) and HWMonitor to check temps. These are standard tools most of us use here on the forum and when we help others it's important we use the same tools so we are all on the same page. Different tools will give different results. HWMonitor gives a wealth of info about temps and voltages in a very compact form. CoreTemp is a good program for checking core temps but that's all it gives. It doesn't tell us what's going on with the motherboard temps. A 20 minute Prime95 blend stress test will give us a much better idea of what's going on than five minutes of the AIDA64 stress test. Five minutes is not enough time to show us what max temps will be.

i want to make it at least 3.2ghz but it needs a lot of voltage and max voltage is 1.55V is it normal that it needs lot of voltage ?

Is your multiplier locked on that CPU? Changing that to 14x or 15x would be a lot easier and more stable than trying to raise the FSB any higher to achieve 3.2GHz. Are you sure 1.5V is the minimum you need for 230FSB? Is 1.48V stable at all? Not that your temps are high; that's one of the best air coolers out there. Like Trents said, keep your HT frequency stock or near-stock. Work on one variable at a time. Once you reach your CPU frequency goals, you can start messing with other stuff.

Is your multiplier locked on that CPU? Changing that to 14x or 15x would be a lot easier and more stable than trying to raise the FSB any higher to achieve 3.2GHz. Are you sure 1.5V is the minimum you need for 230FSB? Is 1.48V stable at all? Not that your temps are high; that's one of the best air coolers out there. Like Trents said, keep your HT frequency stock or near-stock. Work on one variable at a time. Once you reach your CPU frequency goals, you can start messing with other stuff.

No, those were locked. There were some unlocked ones later on when the Brisbane core debuted.

Back