• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jedi Mind Trick

hey I am using an eVGA 6600GT with an ASUS p4p800 SE, 2GBs of XMS PC3200, and a northwood p4 3.2 @ 3.6

I will soon be upgrading to a BFG 7800GS but until then, I was wondering how far I can push my 6600GT. I have stock cooling ON the card, but great cooling in my case.

Right now its at 500/900 via RivaTuner, but I'm relatively uneducated on overclocking.

About how far would you guys guess I can safely overclock it?

If youve got pretty good cooling getting 550 on the core shouldnt be to hard at all, and on my 6600GT I had the memory pushed all the way to 1250 no problems. It really depends, each card is different, you just have to move it in increments until it starts to artifact from getting to hot and then back it down about 5mhz from that point.

ok it seems that my core clock my reach about 500 and be stable, but it is moved passed there, it will quickly drop to 300.

The memory clock maxes for me at about 1200.
Cool this was definately a big improvement :)

ok now it seems to be stay at 300 no matter what i clock it at :(

If i slowly move it up from 300, it will change, but then drop to 300 after a minute or so.
Anyone know what the problem might be?

Last edited:
Sounds like thermal Throtling. Make sure your card doesn't get too hot.

You may want to make then fan go a bit faster. When I move up the fan on my GTO, the temps drop quite noticeably. You can change the fan speed in rivatuner.

If you want to drop temps more, remove the heatsinks, lap it (the stock video card sinks are really rough) and put some AS5 on it.

my fans are all at full power, and the 2D frequency is at 300, your right. The 3D frequency is clocked at 500, but is supposedly only at 300...
Luckily Im getting that new card soon. I just wanted to mess around with this one until my 7800GS comes thanks though :)

Jedi Mind Trick said:
my fans are all at full power, and the 2D frequency is at 300, your right. The 3D frequency is clocked at 500, but is supposedly only at 300...
Luckily Im getting that new card soon. I just wanted to mess around with this one until my 7800GS comes thanks though :)

Is that AGP? AFAIK the 7600agp line is actually faster than the 7800agp

WonderingSoul said:
Is that AGP? AFAIK the 7600agp line is actually faster than the 7800agp

An overclocked 7600GT is somewhat faster than an un-overclocked 7800GS, you put a descent overclock on a 7800GS and no 7600 can catch it, trust me, I've done real world testing on this subject.

yes (as deadman knows from countless posts in the 7800GS thread) it is agp

And as deadman said, I have heard in many places that aside from x1950pro (debatable) the 7800GS is the best agp card out there (i think i may have heard that nv is releasing a 7900series card for agp but im not totally sure)

Back