• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock x6 1055t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgaugha2

Sorry I know there are a lot of these threads, but I don't wanna screw anything up.

I have the Phenom x6 1055t and I wanna know what a safe amount of over clock would be with my system

I have this mobo - motherboard

I have 8gb of 1.5v DDR3 1600 Ram
2 SSD
Radeon HD 5770
Corsair 430 W power supply psu

I have the corsair 212 hyper and at 3.07 the processor is prime 95ing at about 38c. How much further can I go do you think? I put it at about 3.5 and the temps were fine (about 40), but it black screened, is my psu not powerful enough?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

It couldn't hurt to upgrade your power supply - it may very well be on the edge of what it can handle. Those 6 cores are VERY power hungry. They are also extremely sensitive to heat. I just got done overclocking a friends 1075T to 4ghz, the biggest thing I've noticed was the difference between 50C and 55C was a matter of 16 hours prime stable and locking up in p95 after 10 minutes. You got a good board and that heatsink should also get you up there (3.6 ~ 4.0) I'd say.

For a CPU only load that PSU should handle things without too much issue, however when other components come into play you could be easily surpassing the capabilities of that PSU...

I would upgrade to at least 550w.

The 5770 draws 108W TDP. I have a 450W Antec PSU, an unlocked and overclocked 960T CPU and an old Nvidia 8800 GTS card that draws I think 150W TDP and my PSU covers all that just fine, even when I do 3D benchmarking. I actually checked the total system draw with an inline watt meter while running Futuremark stuff and it was under 300 watts so I'm inclined not to think the PSU is inadequate if it is functioning properly.

mgagha2, what do you have your CPU core voltage set to in bios? When you jack up the frequency of the CPU at some point you will need to increase the juice to it to keep it stable. Also, as you increase the fsb there are several other frequencies that get higher because they are tuned to the fsb, namely: the memory frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPUNB or just "NB" frequency. If any of them get to high they can cause instability and it is usually necessary to lower them at some point in order to maintain stability. The memory frequency is usually the first one that needs attention in that regard.

What would be very helpful to us is if you would download and install CPU-z and then attach pics of these three program interface tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. There is a built-in forum tool for attaching images. But first, crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window pops up, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. That will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious. The three CPU-z tabs will give us loads of information about your system and bios settings.

Last edited:
The 5770 draws 108W TDP. I have a 450W Antec PSU, an unlocked and overclocked 960T CPU and an old Nvidia 8800 GTS card that draws I think 150W TDP and my PSU covers all that just fine, even when I do 3D benchmarking. I actually checked the total system draw with an inline watt meter while running Futuremark stuff and it was under 300 watts so I'm inclined not to think the PSU is inadequate if it is functioning properly.

mgagha2, what do you have your CPU core voltage set to in bios? When you jack up the frequency of the CPU at some point you will need to increase the juice to it to keep it stable.
Thermal Design Power isn't power draw :D, it is the amount of heat needed to be dissipated by a heatsink on the device.
X6 at 4 GHz + can use upwards of 350w at the wall when under load.

The 5770s aren't too power hungry, but if the CPU happened to be put under a load at the same time as the CPU, things could get a little hairy.

Thermal Design Power isn't power draw :D, it is the amount of heat needed to be dissipated by a heatsink on the device.
X6 at 4 GHz + can use upwards of 350w at the wall when under load.

The 5770s aren't too power hungry, but if the CPU happened to be put under a load at the same time as the CPU, things could get a little hairy.

I realize TDP isn't the same as power draw but there is a correlation. A higher TDP will most likely translate into a higher power draw. Actually, I should measure the draw at the wall with my CPU unlocked to an X6 since at the time I measured that I think I had it running as an X4.

sorry, I made a mistake when typing things in, I have a 6670, not 5770.

Also, I downloaded CPU-z so I'll get those pictures up as soon as I get a chance.

Back