• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocked fx8350 causing low fps in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomlintm

for some reason after i overclocked my fx8350 to [email protected] i started getting 20 or so fps from 60 to 70 fps in video games
i tested the division and need for speed 2015 got nothing but stuttering freezing low fps i dont no what i did wrong

but once i put my cpu to stock speeds all my issues gone away with the stuttering freezing and low fps

my setup CPU-AMD FX-8350 Motherboard-ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer RAM-G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 GPU-SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 8GB Case-Rosewill THOR V2 Storage-Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series,WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W Display(s)-3x AOC 2269WM 22in Cooling-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/with 120 mm Keyboard-Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard Mouse-Redragon M601 CEN

i use hwinfo aida 64 and cpuz to monitor my temps and i used ibm avx software to get a stable overclock

temps never go above 50-60c on the cpu
vrm temps stay around 60-70c
i used the multiplyer and voltage to overclock with so the fsb hasent been touched

So8nds like the overclock wasn't stable or its throttling... see if rolling back the overclock a little helps, or if you are seeing throttling.

What did you test your OC with to get max temps. Does sound unstable. In BIOS disable APM and enable HPC.

OK I see it now IBT AVX I see you have a Hyper 212. It's not going to keep up to 4.7 Try 4.4 ish that's more of the ballpark for the Hyper 212

when i got thoes stable overclocks i actully had a 140mm fan on the other side of the motherboard behind the cpu and vrms to keep them cool or the vrms would have reached 80-90c but i didnt have the 140mm running when in games but i might have to do that to keep it cooler and more stable damn vrms there so ****ty lol

update: i have it back to [email protected] and its thermal throttling the vrms arent keeping cool enough and i dont have a fan small enough to put on the vrms heat sink

cpu is around 58c
vrm are at 75-77C
i did notice my vcore is droping to 0.85v
cpu core is droping to 1400mhz

any idea on getting a 120mm to blow right on top of it maybe

Last edited:
hmm as long as im not video editing i should be fine b/c i just played need for speed 2015 with the 140mm running behind the vrms and cpu the vrms stay around 55-57c with the cpu in the 40s

the division temps actully arent bad at all but cpu temps bounce around tho

47-55C for some reason it bounced up to around 55c then stayed stable around 47-51c
vrms stayed stable around 55-58c

i think that fan behind the cpu and vrms is helping tramendisly biggrin.gif

i think its a accomplishment that i am able to run my pc at 4.7ghz on air :D

I would almost put money on your system is throttling to keep the temps under control. I will repeat myself FX8350@ 1.48v + CM Hyper212 ≠4.7 GHz
I have had a dozen of these CPUs and have done AIR to LN2 cooling on them. It's not your VRM (well probably them too ) your CPU isn't cool enough. Have you actually done any stress testing with HWMonitor open. You will likely see your speed drop from 4.7 to 3.4 or even 1.4 it it's panicking.

I would almost put money on your system is throttling to keep the temps under control. I will repeat myself FX8350@ 1.48v + CM Hyper212 ≠4.7 GHz
I have had a dozen of these CPUs and have done AIR to LN2 cooling on them. It's not your VRM (well probably them too ) your CPU isn't cool enough. Have you actually done any stress testing with HWMonitor open. You will likely see your speed drop from 4.7 to 3.4 or even 1.4 it it's panicking.

Yes it does throttle when my vrms hit around 77c when using ibt avx but i never see temps that high when in videogames

But cpu doesnt go above 60c at all

OK well lets see IBT AVX with hwmonitor free or HWinfo 64 open an running. Right now I have a very hard time believing a 212 can handle that volt/clock. That Asrock is a very so so motherboard and I'm sure it's throttling unless voltage under load has a huge drop which I have seen before. Your motherboard will throttle for power draw as well as temperature so we need to see what's going on before we can really diagnose it.

OK well lets see IBT AVX with hwmonitor free or HWinfo 64 open an running. Right now I have a very hard time believing a 212 can handle that volt/clock. That Asrock is a very so so motherboard and I'm sure it's throttling unless voltage under load has a huge drop which I have seen before. Your motherboard will throttle for power draw as well as temperature so we need to see what's going on before we can really diagnose it.

i always keep aida 64 and hwinfo64 always up when my pc is running and im telling you my cpu never goes about 60c honest but vrms do go up in to the 70-77c but i did fix the whole fps problem i was thormal throttleing so i put a 140mm behind the vrms and heatsink and one 70mm right on top of the vrm heatsink and it runs great but still hits the 77c in ibt avx tho

All the fan did was give you a bit more headroom before the throttling starts so in games that aren't too CPU intensive you'll be OK. That temp you are referencing is most likely socket not VRM too. Just for fun try backing the CPU down to 4.4 with probably 1.4 give or take for voltage and see if your FPS improve.

All the fan did was give you a bit more headroom before the throttling starts so in games that aren't too CPU intensive you'll be OK. That temp you are referencing is most likely socket not VRM too. Just for fun try backing the CPU down to 4.4 with probably 1.4 give or take for voltage and see if your FPS improve.

i already solved the fps problem just by adding fans to the back of the board and on top of the vrm heatsink and im getting above 60fps now :p which for some reason after i removed the vrm heatsink to mount the 70mm fan to it i had to put the voltage to 1.49v now but its running strong

Pushing the limits with that cooler and motherboard may hasten your move to Intel sooner than you think. I've been trying to give you constructive pointers on how to run that set-up and you resist every step of the way insisting it's all fine. Cool , I'm not on your end of the screen and they aren't my parts.

Pushing the limits with that cooler and motherboard may hasten your move to Intel sooner than you think. I've been trying to give you constructive pointers on how to run that set-up and you resist every step of the way insisting it's all fine. Cool , I'm not on your end of the screen and they aren't my parts.

hey dont get mad its all good if things start to go wrong i will start to back down like you suggested i monitor my temps non stop on my other screen so if i see temp changes and the 2 fans i put on cant keep up no more then i will back it down i always shut down my pc before any damage is done so no worrys

I'll just leave this here. A pic of that motherboard after it died taking the CPU with it. All temps were under control on this one too. It can't handle the power draw is the problem. They used a "fake" 8 phase design for power and this is the consequence.

PS, I"m not mad. Like I said they're your parts. I just am done spinning my wheels.

c1d5864c_0915152003.jpeg

Back