• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 965 BE with little luck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jazzpaintball

Registered
I know there is a lot out there already about this CPU, but none of them has been able to help me out so far.

Most of them have been about others thinking that they can get to 4.2+ per core, or have been trying to get in the 3.8 area with the stock cooler.

I am trying to achieve 3.8 to 4.0 on the core. I have a CM GeminiII that seems to be taking the heat pretty well. Idol is about 32C and stress test with p95 for 4 hours yeilds 48C.

I am only achieving a BSOD at 3.580 and above. heat is not a problem that I can tell, for it BSOD's only about 10-19 seconds into p95. I have had the settings all over the place trying to find a zen spot.

I have brought the voltage up to 1.4, multiplier up 17.5 (18 BSOD's often and 18.5 BSOD's every time) and brought up the tick rate to 214.

I am at a loss, any suggestions would help. Let me know if you need any other information. I am still new to OC'ing.

Waffles out.

Motherboard: ASRock 870 extreme 3
RAM: 8GB G Skill Ripjaws (2x4)
PSU: 700W Corsair
GPU: Gigabite ATI 5870

Cant think of anything else that would be relevant for OC'ing the CPU

Please attach pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

What is your DRAM votage set to in bios?

What is your CPUNB voltage set to in bios?

getting cpu-z images now.

As far as Bios voltages, I have never checked since I am using the ASRock overclock system, I thought it would be connected to the bios, since it was made by the same company.

Sorry, but could you redo that attached pic as three individual images? When you take a screenie of the whole desktop like that it makes the CPU-z user interface image so small that I can't read the values contained therein. If you use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories you can crop and save the individual images.

Also, if you go back and read my post I requested two other things that don't show up in CPU-z. That's why I asked them as separate questions.

Please redo the CPU-z "SPD" tab. It's devoid of values because you apparently don't have any ram sticks in Slot #1. Use the drop box to change the slot #.

While you are in bios, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E if you have not. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That turns off all the green power saving stuff that can cause instability in higher overclock ranges.

What are you using for a CPU cooler? That's an important piece of information you have not included yet.

While you are in bios, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E if you have not. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That turns off all the green power saving stuff that can cause instability in higher overclock ranges.

I have tried to locate any CnQ setting within the bios, but have not found any to disable. Windows CPPO has been turned to high performance ever since building the computer in 2011

DRAM voltage within BIOS: 1.645v

Could not find "CPUNB voltage" within the bios. Just HT voltage, s3 voltage, and vdds voltage.

CPUNB might be just "NB" in your bios and should be in the same grouping as the CPU voltage.

Why do you have your DRAM voltage set to 1.64 in bios when CPU-z "SPD" tab says it only needs 1.5 volts to run at the frequency you are using? I would suggest you lower that to 1.55. More than that puts unnecessary strain on the memory itself and the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on the CPU die. The CPU-z "SPD" tab displays the manufacturer's recommendations for memory voltage and timings at various common frequency levels.

CPUNB might be just "NB" in your bios and should be in the same grouping as the CPU voltage.

Why do you have your DRAM voltage set to 1.64 in bios when CPU-z "SPD" tab says it only needs 1.5 volts to run at the frequency you are using? I would suggest you lower that to 1.55. More than that puts unnecessary strain on the memory itself and the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on the CPU die. The CPU-z "SPD" tab displays the manufacturer's recommendations for memory voltage and timings at various common frequency levels.

the DRAM voltage within the Bios is not set by me. the 1.64v is within [AUTO] mode. I can look again, but I did not see a NB voltage within the bios either, or else I would have written it down.

Any idea why the Bios auto mode would have my CPU set at 1.3 volts with a 1.55 volt cap, but have the DRAM voltage at 1.64 in auto mode?

Don't trust "Auto" to get it right. When in doubt, switch to Manual mode and enter the correct values.

If you'll start taking things off of Auto in bios you will see more options.

Don't trust "Auto" to get it right. When in doubt, switch to Manual mode and enter the correct values.

If you'll start taking things off of Auto in bios you will see more options.

Alright, what should I set my Dram, NB, HT, VDDS and CPU voltages to?

Back