• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 965 BE with little luck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DRAM: 1.55

CPU: 1.425. This is what you will be working with from here on out. It may need more. Should be safe up to 1.5 if temps permit. You want to keep core temps from exceeding 55-58c and CPU socket temps from exceeding about 65c or instability will set in.

NB: 1.225 volts and 2400 ghz in frequency (stock is 2400 mhz). Make sure you are changing the CPUNB votage and not the chipset NB votage. Can be confusing. The chipset has to do with the NB chip on the motherboard that controlls the PCI-e lanes. The section where each is found should tip it off.

Leave HT and VDDS at stock/auto.

Do you have LLC in bios?

DRAM: 1.55

CPU: 1.425. This is what you will be working with from here on out. It may need more. Should be safe up to 1.5 if temps permit. You want to keep core temps from exceeding 55-58c and CPU socket temps from exceeding about 65c or instability will set in.

NB: 1.225 volts and 2400 ghz in frequency (stock is 2400 mhz). Make sure you are changing the CPUNB votage and not the chipset NB votage. Can be confusing. The chipset has to do with the NB chip on the motherboard that controlls the PCI-e lanes. The section where each is found should tip it off.

Leave HT and VDDS at stock/auto.

Do you have LLC in bios?

Going do do this soon, but if NB does not specify between the CPU and Chipset, should it be changed?

I will look for the LLC.

Alright. Changes made:

CPU: 1.425v currently at 45C idle, will stress test in a few minutes.
DRAM: 1.547v
NB: 1.250v at 2.405 MHz. Was at 2MHz at x10, now at x12

No LLC was found.

STRESS TEST: only rounghly 7 minutes tested. I stopped due to Speed fan recorded temps:
CPU reached 72C when I stopped,
"core" (not sure what it measures to be honest) got to 81C

System back to 55C and 59C respectively within 1 minute.

The core temp is the most critical temp. It is reporting the estimated temp inside the processor itself. CPU temp typically refers to the temp reported by a sensor in the motherboard socket area where the processor mounts. Your temps are quite high for that amount of CPU voltage. Let me take a look at your owner's manual to spot the CPUNB if I can. What CPU cooler are you using?

You should take all your important system info and create a "Sig" so that it automatically goes with every post you make at the bottom. to create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. This is a common courtesy on the forum and helps those helping you to have ready reference to info about system components and this really helps when threads get long and info posed in the beginning gets buried. You may refer to mine if you want a guide for what stuff to include in the Sig.

You should be using HWMonitor instead of Speedfan. HWMonitor gives much more info.

Last edited:
After p95 test, CPU temp has stabalized at 52C. Should it be that high just from the .1125 voltage change?

EDIT:

Just dropped my voltage down one notch to 1.4000v, temp went from 52.5 to 42.5 within 3 minutes.

Will the extra voltage be heavily needed, or will 1.4v work to keep the temp down?

The core temp is the most critical temp. It is reporting the estimated temp inside the processor itself. CPU temp typically refers to the temp reported by a sensor in the motherboard socket area where the processor mounts. Your temps are quite high for that amount of CPU voltage. Let me take a look at your owner's manual to spot the CPUNB if I can. What CPU cooler are you using?

You should take all your important system info and create a "Sig" so that it automatically goes with every post you make at the bottom. to create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. This is a common courtesy on the forum and helps those helping you to have ready reference to info about system components and this really helps when threads get long and info posed in the beginning gets buried. You may refer to mine if you want a guide for what stuff to include in the Sig.

You should be using HWMonitor instead of Speedfan. HWMonitor gives much more info.

Roger that, sig will be up shortly.

Ah, yes, you are using the Coolermaster Gemini II for a cooler. But I had to go hunting for that info. When you get a Sig it will be right there.

Which Gemini II are you using?

Attachments

• gemini.JPG
    gemini.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 16
You forgot to include info about your case make and model in your sig.

You forgot to include info about your case make and model in your sig.

Dont know what to do about that. it is a no-name basic mid-atx case that I have recycled. I will be getting a NZXT phantom soon, but until then, I have no ideas what to call this.

Description: non-mesh front. one 120mm fan in front. one 80mm exhaust top. 2 80mm exhaust on acrylic side. 1 120mm exhaust in back. Top mounted PSU.

Case is not great and will be the next upgrade.

Internal temp sensors from case fan system: 24C, 26C, 26C, 25C, 26C

"NB Voltage" is the NB you want, right above HT Bus Speed and right below NB Frequency Multiplier.

"NB Voltage" is the NB you want, right above HT Bus Speed and right below NB Frequency Multiplier.

that is the one I changed. It only changes in intervals, so it was either 1.1125 or 1.250, I went with the later due to it being closer to the 1.225 you said to set it to.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Your CPU cooler is probably inadequate to dispel the heat produced by overclocking. I would look at the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ evo if I were you. Good cooler and a good value. The tall tower style coolers are the most efficient. They are tall, however, and require a case at least 7.5" wide across the top. I assume your new case will accommodate that.
2. Let's start the overclock from scratch and do it incrementally and systematically. I have a good method for doing that if you are interested. It starts by seeing how far you can get on stock CPU voltage, runs a stress test after each .5x increment of multiplier increase and monitors temps at each juncture. Voltage is only added when needed. Are you interested?

Bed time for me.

What bios version do you have? Look in the motherboard tab of CPU and it will tell you. There may be a later bios that you could upgrade available on the ASRock web site that will give more bios choices. By the way, in the Tweaker section you should choose manual overclock mode.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Your CPU cooler is probably inadequate to dispel the heat produced by overclocking. I would look at the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ evo if I were you. Good cooler and a good value. The tall tower style coolers are the most efficient. They are tall, however, and require a case at least 7.5" wide across the top. I assume your new case will accommodate that.
2. Let's start the overclock from scratch and do it incrementally and systematically. I have a good method for doing that if you are interested. It starts by seeing how far you can get on stock CPU voltage, runs a stress test after each .5x increment of multiplier increase and monitors temps at each juncture. Voltage is only added when needed. Are you interested?

Bed time for me.
]

Indeed, I will start working with the 1.4v I have now. I will see what p95 will give me. I went with the gemini due to height constraints. It should be fine as I have seen quite a few reports being able to keep up closely (but not as well/better than) the tall towers. I will see what 1.4v can get me.

Thank you, and next time you are in Tacoma, let me know: you need a beer for the help you are giving, :D.

Night

Thanks. It would need to be a gluten free beer.

Running Prime95 blend tests for 20 minutes gives you a tentative stability if you can pass it. As you dial in on your final overclock, stretch it out to 2 hours or more.

Thanks. It would need to be a gluten free beer.

Running Prime95 blend tests for 20 minutes gives you a tentative stability if you can pass it. As you dial in on your final overclock, stretch it out to 2 hours or more.

I have been doing the Max heat, max stress option in p95 (the middle one).

I did some research and found out that the CM gemin II fan was putting out about 60 CFM. Knowing that, I decided to dig out my ultra kaze that puts out 135cfm and decided to mount that on the cooler. The wife will complain about the added noise (always does), but at 1.425v across the CPU, a stress test (mid one again) stabalizes out at 49C. Much better than the 75 and growning last night. I am going to start messing with the multiplyer, but who knows if it will help with the fan. Atleast we will know if the temp is a problem or not.

Still no luck...

Even with the new fan, the system is still BSOD'ing when greater than 3.65MHz. CPU never gets above 55C now, even at 1.425v.

I think I just got one of the nice 965's that dont like to be OC'd...

Back