• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 955 BE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've found that:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticle...TIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

It doesn't look like a CPU related issue, but more a video card/video driver problem.

Isn't your card a bit "old" (no offense, lol!).

You should first try to uninstall/reinstall the video driver and use Driversweeper. You should also clean your graphic card (maybe overheating due to dust?).

EDIT: that can also be RAM related. Likely not your cpu OC...

^CPU-NB only gave me 124 BSOD.
Never 7E. This one occured to me with a too high GPU or DDR OC (in about 1.5 years of OC'ing the 955 in my sig).

0x00000124 is caused by the individual cores, (low vcore) either FPU or Integer section of the CPU. It is never caused by CPU_NB or any part of the memory subsystem, I promise ;)

0x0000007E is less common however some things stick out here.

Code:
On Sat 3/17/2012 6:31:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031712-26176-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CD40) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002A82366)
Error: [B]IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/B]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\[B]ntoskrnl.exe[/B]
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sat 3/17/2012 6:31:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x4DF97) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002A82366)
Error: [B]IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/B]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\[B]atikmdag.sys[/B]
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Fri 3/16/2012 12:53:57 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031512-27783-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xF8969) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000094, 0xFFFFF88004B15969, 0xFFFFF88006BECFC8, 0xFFFFF88006BEC820)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\[B]atikmdag.sys[/B]
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 3/16/2012 12:16:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031512-27019-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [B]atikmdag.sys [/B](atikmdag+0xF8969) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000094, 0xFFFFF88004B60969, 0xFFFFF88006BEAFC8, 0xFFFFF88006BEA820)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 2/23/2012 9:19:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022312-13150-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [B]ntoskrnl.exe[/B] (nt+0x7CC40) 
Bugcheck code: [B]0x101[/B] (0x31, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD5180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

For some reason, ntoskrnl and atikmdag (Windows Kernel/video driver) are often the first to crash...the fact that it isn't a single driver issue means it is probably a hardware problem.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A) is purely related to the memory subsystem, usually occurs when the OS/driver dries to page ram in the wrong place due to instability.

0x00000101 can occur with both low vcore (core instability) and CPU_NB.

My vote is still CPU_NB :)

I benchmark a lot / push limits, I've been through a 955 C3 (just bought this one), PII 965 C3, PII 565 BE (given to me by AMD Austin), PII 1100T, AII 210e and FX-8150... been at this since mid 2009.

0x00000124 is caused by the individual cores, (low vcore) either FPU or Integer section of the CPU. It is never caused by CPU_NB or any part of the memory subsystem, I promise ;)

0x0000007E is less common however some things stick out here.

For some reason, ntoskrnl and atikmdag (Windows Kernel/video driver) are often the first to crash...the fact that it isn't a single driver issue means it is probably a hardware problem.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A) is purely related to the memory subsystem, usually occurs when the OS/driver dries to page ram in the wrong place due to instability.

0x00000101 can occur with both low vcore (core instability) and CPU_NB.

My vote is still CPU_NB :)

I could give you a CPU-NB 124 BSOD in a couple of minute (a bit more, after dinner let's say).
I lower my CPU-NB voltage to from 1.35v to 1.25v (for 2730MHz), and I get A 124 BSOD after 2 mins of OCCT/P95.

I could give you a CPU-NB 124 BSOD in a couple of minute (a bit more, after dinner let's say).
I lower my CPU-NB voltage to from 1.35v to 1.25v (for 2730MHz), and I get A 124 BSOD after 2 mins of OCCT/P95.
Alright :)

However 99.9% of the time is is because of low vcore.

With my 955, I usually get two types of BSOD (99%):
124 for vCore/CPU-NB
7E for RAM/GPU OC

With my 955, I usually get two types of BSOD (99%):
124 for vCore/CPU-NB
7E for RAM/GPU OC
You sure you don't mean 7F? :)

If you get a BSOD with CPU_NB you can get it with ram too and vice versa...we are talking about the memory controller here.

0x00000124 is related to vcore for both AMD and intel platforms. 101 is too (on SB) however it can be both vcore/vCPU_NB too.

My RAM is underclocked (1333, instead of rated 1600), and overvolted (1.55V, I believe, maybe it's 1.65V - it's .05V above stock). My GPU was, to my knowledge, not overclocked at that point - however, it MAY have been. I did all my overclocking through my multiplier, so I can't remember if I changed my NB or not.

You sure you don't mean 7F? :)

If you get a BSOD with CPU_NB you can get it with ram too and vice versa...we are talking about the memory controller here.

0x00000124 is related to vcore for both AMD and intel platforms. 101 is too (on SB) however it can be both vcore/vCPU_NB too.

I am pretty sure it's 7E... Will check tomorrow though!

I am pretty sure it's 7E... Will check tomorrow though!

I dont see why you are not taking advantage of the 1600mhz memory speed. If its rated for that, it should not effect your overclock if you are still running a 200mhz FSB.

Can you post up some screenshots of CPUZ for us? IE the CPU tab, the memory tab and the SPD tab.

have you set your memory timings and voltage correctly in the bios? The SPD tab in CPUZ will give you this information.

If you have a C2 955 it may limit your overclock.

Generally, the Denebs have trouble being stable when the ram is run at 1600 mhz. The IMC is kind of weak. Some will, however.

I'm currently overclocked at 3.8GHz 1.4V stable - it seems to have been another problem.

Generally, the Denebs have trouble being stable when the ram is run at 1600 mhz. The IMC is kind of weak. Some will, however.
Yeah I have seen that a few times thats why I'd like to see if he's got the C3 revision. it also depends on the motherboard. I've set up countless denabs with DDR3 1600 ram. thats why I'd like to see some screenshots. aida is another great program if you want to really dig in to system specs.

Generally the Denebs have trouble around 1800-1866. 1800 is usually cake ;) C2 is a little different...in which case they very worst ones had trouble at 1600-1700. However I have a C2 Athlon II chip here that runs 1800 all day.

I'm currently overclocked at 3.8GHz 1.4V stable - it seems to have been another problem.
What was the problem?
Yeah I have seen that a few times thats why I'd like to see if he's got the C3 revision. it also depends on the motherboard. I've set up countless denabs with DDR3 1600 ram. thats why I'd like to see some screenshots. aida is another great program if you want to really dig in to system specs.
Chances are it is C3, most if not all Phenom II X4's sold as BE's after Q3 2009 were C3.

I have no idea what the problem was, but with everything at/under stock, I'm getting no problems whatsoever (so far).

Generally the Denebs have trouble around 1800-1866. 1800 is usually cake ;) C2 is a little different...in which case they very worst ones had trouble at 1600-1700. However I have a C2 Athlon II chip here that runs 1800 all day.

What was the problem?

Chances are it is C3, most if not all Phenom II X4's sold as BE's after Q3 2009 were C3.
Well a nice cpu-z shot would confirm or deny

Back