• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a AMD FX6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cam198

Registered
I'm currently overclocking my FX 6100. I'm currently at 4.5ghz unstable. It'll boot into windows fine, but it fails the Prime95 blend test. This is my first time overclocking so I'd very much appreciate your feedback and advice.
Thanks in advance!:)

Attachments

• Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 37,990
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 33,583
Here's some pics of my bios settings:

Attachments

• IMG_20120216_172617.jpg
    IMG_20120216_172617.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 33,019
  • IMG_20120216_172650.jpg
    IMG_20120216_172650.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 32,790
  • IMG_20120216_172713.jpg
    IMG_20120216_172713.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32,677
for what it's worth, I am no expert at this, I'm learning as I go along so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have tried six different ways from sunday to run stable @ 4.5ghz with lower voltages and from what I've noticed anything over 4ghz and the 6100 gets very hungry for more vcore.

by just using brute force and upping the multiplier here is what I have in regards to stable prime95. stable as in 6+ hours of running.

4.0Ghz 1.42 vcore
4.2Ghz 1.455 vcore
4.4Ghz 1.53 vcore (ran prime for an hour with this) it didn't error but i didn't want to run it at these voltages any longer.

now when messing with the HT and the north bridge my voltages under 4.0 go down a little bit. Even for 4.0ghz I can run prime stable at 1.40vcore. 4.2ghz I'm again stuck with 1.455vcore.

If I had some extra money to buy another 6100 or an 8120 I would totally up the voltages just for the sake of posting the results.

Just my $0.02 of my tests over the past 2 weeks. All cpu's aren't the same and mileage will vary.

I need 1.4125 for 4.5GHz (8150.)
Watch the core temp - if it goes significantly over 70 then that's probably the reason why it's failing. Otherwise you usually need more voltage - CPU if you see rounding errors, CPU or CPUNB (or maybe DRAM if you're pushing that) if you see sumout errors.
If you can keep your temperature down you need less voltage.
You can also save power (heat) by reducing the CPUNB voltage and the NB multiplier.
Try to tune up your CPU without memory effects first by running small FFTs. Once you pass that you can progress to large FFTs, then Blend.

Bro

Me i run with ram at 1600 mhz with 1.55v
Cpu 1.425 full stable at 7hour with prime
in rest all setting its auto...
cpu nb and ht run at 2000mhz
Its stabble with cpu nb and ht 2400/2600 or 2400/2400 but when i start windows aero start fail and my pc need restart to aero come to normal....

And i remove radiator from corsair vengeace blue for have space for my cooler TR Silver Arrow ;)!!! ram no have problem without radiator...;)....and now cpu and mb have a low temp!!!

If i need more about 4.5ghz i need to up voltage.....but its good with 4.5ghz what need that much? i play games...and i not have problem with stock.....i dont need 5ghz to kill my cpu in 1 year.....

I'm running [email protected] 1.30V ( 1.296-1.308V depends from load ) for BOINC and games ( sometimes both at the same time ). It won't pass Prime95 on these settings but I don't care as long as everything else is working fine.

@Cam198
set LLC to high or extreme for both CPU and CPUNB, set CPU voltage frequency to auto, cpu power phase to some higher than standard ( I'm not sure what option you have for all phases ), pcie spread spectrum can be disabled, pcie frequency manual to 100MHz, CPU and CPU-NB current capability to 120% ( at least it's in % on my board ) ... no more ideas for now

I got it completely stable at 4.6, so I'm a happy camper. I left Prime95 running Blend overnight and HWmonitor displayed a max temp of 52C. So I figure that'll give me some wiggle room as far as temps go, if my house temp goes up a bit.
I have one other question: My BIOS says that my cpu fans are running at around 600rpm. But the themalright website says that the fans can go up to 1300rpm. Is there a way that I can get them up to full speed?

I got it completely stable at 4.6, so I'm a happy camper. I left Prime95 running Blend overnight and HWmonitor displayed a max temp of 52C. So I figure that'll give me some wiggle room as far as temps go, if my house temp goes up a bit.
I have one other question: My BIOS says that my cpu fans are running at around 600rpm. But the themalright website says that the fans can go up to 1300rpm. Is there a way that I can get them up to full speed?

If you disable CPU fan control the fans get the full +12V and 100% PWM signal. Then they'll run at their maximum speed but that also depends on their environment - they may run faster in free air. The full behavior of a fan is characterized by its fan curve which is in the data sheet. You'd have to find out who makes the fan for Thermalright.

You can share settting for me? i want to get stabble at 4.6 give me all your bios settings ;) thanks!!!

could you post a full desktop screen shot of cpuid, hwmonitor, and prime up and running for like 10 mins? Include all the tabs so I can see NB, ram etc.

Last edited:
That is!

I finish to ok my fx 6100 and i find the best setting for 4,5ghz!!!
Cpu:4.5ghz 18x250 1.475v
Cpu-NB:2500mhz 1.3v
HTT:2500mhz
Ram : 1666mhz 1.6v

Temperature is good...score in windows is good :D !!!:bday:

:salute::ty:

Now let's play :D :comp:!!!

Attachments

• 7 HOUR PRIME.png
    7 HOUR PRIME.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 32,140
I finish to ok my fx 6100 and i find the best setting for 4,5ghz!!!
Cpu:4.5ghz 18x250 1.475v
Cpu-NB:2500mhz 1.3v
HTT:2500mhz
Ram : 1666mhz 1.6v

Temperature is good...score in windows is good :D !!!:bday:

:salute::ty:

Now let's play :D :comp:!!!

Nice!

21kf04w.png.jpg

You will get better clocks if you lower your multiplier and increase your bus speed. The FX chips seem to need a higher HTT and NB to OC.

The setup above is OCCT stable for 8hrs then it BSODs.

Here's a screenshot of my settings and stuff. This was after running prime for about 30mins. I'm thinking about lowering my multiplier in order to achieve better clock speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 4.6.png
    Screenshot 4.6.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 31,890
you have only cpu cloth oc? cpu nb its defaul ram is low....its not good...me with 4.5 and 2500 cpu nb and 2500 ht ...its more good than you!!!

you have only cpu cloth oc? cpu nb its defaul ram is low....its not good...me with 4.5 and 2500 cpu nb and 2500 ht ...its more good than you!!!

well, help me out then. what do you recommend i change?

well, help me out then. what do you recommend i change?

Set your bus to 230, htt to 13x and NB to 11x.

Try cpu multi of 19x. If stable up bus until not stable. When not stable try 2 things. Either more voltage or bring back the bus and increase cpu multi.

Typed on my phone sorry for the lavk of detail

I changed the settings up a bit and I got a really good configuration going, here. It's running at 4.5ghz and the core temps are maxing out at a really low core temp. And its really stable so far. I'll post the results after a couple hours of prime95 running.

4.5GHZ I set the bus speed to 250 and changed around a couple other things and here's what I got:

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    97.8 KB · Views: 31,718
srry for question... Cam198

Srry for question Cam198 but you are anti-forum? :bang head:mad:

If you have stabble at that setting show the settings for forum and for all guys.....

Voltage and all.......and some screens.....

And all is be oke ;):thup:

Back