• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a AMD FX6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You also have to crank up the memory. At first I was disappointed with the real-life performance of my overclock but after I pushed the RAM to 1866 it made a lot of difference. Also the CPUNB clock since the L3 cache runs at that clock.

You also have to crank up the memory. At first I was disappointed with the real-life performance of my overclock but after I pushed the RAM to 1866 it made a lot of difference. Also the CPUNB clock since the L3 cache runs at that clock.

I'm concerned that a lot of AMD CPUs will not tolerate that high a memory frequency and become unstable. The Phenom IIs and the Thubans didn't like it anyway. Perhaps the FXs have much stouter ICMs. And your FX might be a little cherry and take it that high but not most of them.

tym64, what are you testing stability of your settings with? The AMDOD stress test? If so, you will not impress anyone around here with your overclock. The AMDOD stress test is wimpy. Try the Prime95 blend test for at least two hours and see how she does on a vcore of 1.325.

I'm concerned that a lot of AMD CPUs will not tolerate that high a memory frequency and become unstable. The Phenom IIs and the Thubans didn't like it anyway. Perhaps the FXs have much stouter ICMs. And your FX might be a little cherry and take it that high but not most of them.

AMD specs 1866 for Bulldozer and Asus specifies 2133 for the Crosshair V.

re

I dont go more up to 4.6ghz......pc run fine....its stable in prime for 6 hour in blend......and i dont have no problem with pc...no crach...bsod or other malfunction....pc sleep fine and wake up fine aero is fine......and its could maxim temp is 50 degrace celcius.....

Me i finish to oc fx 6100.....to 4.6ghz ...;) :salute: i don't try animore i wait new byos for asrock extream 3.....because 1.20 have some bugs....;)!!!

exemplar, its okay to ask a question now and then or offer your own experience and advice but at points you have essentially taken over this thread with your own problems. Do you need to start another thread of your own? You know folks around here are willing to help you. Let's practice some common sense etiquette here, okay?

tym64, what are you testing stability of your settings with? The AMDOD stress test? If so, you will not impress anyone around here with your overclock. The AMDOD stress test is wimpy. Try the Prime95 blend test for at least two hours and see how she does on a vcore of 1.325.

The stress tests I use are OCCT for a hour, then Linpack for the next hour. Then I play crysis 2 for a couple of hours.

I respect people who don't agree with my "makes no difference overclocking" thoughts and opinions. Maybe it will help on other computers. Did nothing for mine. I am only talking about the fx 6100 chip.

You also need to ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward? Thats a personal choice. It will shorten the life of the cpu.

The biggest difference I have personally ever seen was changing harddrives from sata to solid state hard drive. That made some real world difference in my computer.

Just remember its only my opinion, Nothing more, After talking to some other overclockers, a few agreed with it, others did not. In the end, Its your computer, your risks. If you think the risks are worth the rewards, best of luck, in my case, No!! I am simply trying to express the flip side of the coin.

Always best to use common sense. Ok, You overclocked, Did it help tons? Then leave it, did it make no difference? Then maybe go back to defaults. I simply don't see much the warnings about what overclocking will do.

The only reason I added to the thread, Is hey maybe a few of my ideas will help others reach the goals there shooting for. Thats how I reached the 4.5 stable settings. Saw some dude on youtube use the AI Suite 2. Before I used it no luck with the 4.5. When I tried the settings in AI Suite 2, that was the answer for my computer.

Last edited:
Yeah, overclocking might shorten the life of your computer from 10 yrs. to 5 yrs. but who in the enthusiast community keeps the same hardware that long? I think you would seem significant "real world" improvement in performance if you were doing things like A/V encoding and tasks that were truly CPU intensive. It depends a lot on what you do with your computer. I can tell you that the reason I overclock is because I feel a discernable difference in the general snappiness of the machine: How fast it loads windows and moves between programs. But I will certainly agree with you that moving to an SSD card will give the biggest single real wordl discernable difference of any upgrade in general computer use.

Yeah, overclocking might shorten the life of your computer from 10 yrs. to 5 yrs. but who in the enthusiast community keeps the same hardware that long? I think you would seem significant "real world" improvement in performance if you were doing things like A/V encoding and tasks that were truly CPU intensive. It depends a lot on what you do with your computer. I can tell you that the reason I overclock is because I feel a discernable difference in the general snappiness of the machine: How fast it loads windows and moves between programs. But I will certainly agree with you that moving to an SSD card will give the biggest single real wordl discernable difference of any upgrade in general computer use.

Good point on the CPU life.
I'm thinking about buying a SSD. I've heard really great things about them. 4.5 OC and a SSD would be a killer combo! They are a bit expensive but I think it would be worth it.
I have a pretty good 4.5 OC configuration here so I think I'm gonna stick with what I have. Bumping up the CPU voltage helped alot with the overall stability :)

AMD specs 1866 for Bulldozer and Asus specifies 2133 for the Crosshair V.

1866 should be 100% stable with any FX cpu but 2133+ depends from IMC. Even that it's quite easy to reach 2400+ clock, it doesn't mean that 2133 will be stable.
Max memory clock also depends from IMC temperature.

1866 should be 100% stable with any FX cpu but 2133+ depends from IMC. Even that it's quite easy to reach 2400+ clock, it doesn't mean that 2133 will be stable.
Max memory clock also depends from IMC temperature.

Correct. I can push my (1333 MT/s) RAM to 2000 timings but when the CPU is hot it fails so I use 1866. That's why Prime is a better overall memory stability test than memtest.

I just stopped my prime test. My 4.5ghz configuration is completely stable. I got 9 hours and 21 minutes with no errors or warnings ;)

Hy cam

:salute:me i get stabble 4.8 with 1.525 vcore ...and have 58 maxim temp in 4 hour with 25 degrade celcius in my room ;)! :D:salute:

Very nice! What settings are you running?

Can anyone help, I have a FX6100 on an MSI 990FXA-GD80 with :-

Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory Module CL9 1.5V X 3

I can get the chip to run at 4.0 by just having everything on Auto and pushing the ratio up to X20 and it seems to run fine.

I want to try and get a little bit more out of it but have some questions.

A) Is it worth it VS. the life span degrade.
B) How would I apply more to this board.

My bios and CPU below.

http://d.pr/i/98Pq
http://d.pr/i/WZUX
http://d.pr/AcR0

for what it's worth, I am no expert at this, I'm learning as I go along so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have tried six different ways from sunday to run stable @ 4.5ghz with lower voltages and from what I've noticed anything over 4ghz and the 6100 gets very hungry for more vcore.

by just using brute force and upping the multiplier here is what I have in regards to stable prime95. stable as in 6+ hours of running.

4.0Ghz 1.42 vcore
4.2Ghz 1.455 vcore
4.4Ghz 1.53 vcore (ran prime for an hour with this) it didn't error but i didn't want to run it at these voltages any longer.

now when messing with the HT and the north bridge my voltages under 4.0 go down a little bit. Even for 4.0ghz I can run prime stable at 1.40vcore. 4.2ghz I'm again stuck with 1.455vcore.

If I had some extra money to buy another 6100 or an 8120 I would totally up the voltages just for the sake of posting the results.

Just my $0.02 of my tests over the past 2 weeks. All cpu's aren't the same and mileage will vary.

Last edited:
Back