• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Q9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorenalike

Registered
Hey everyone

I recently overclocked my cpu to get some juice to my graphic card because i noticed its bottlenecking my graphic card in some cases ( games etc )

I am a beginner in overclocking so i have few question and i hope to get some answers

First i went to bios and tried a few suggested Vcore voltages and configs in internet to see what can i do with it but i stuck on 400x8.5 and i can't go higher prime9 program crashes himself and OCCT finds errors ( but system looks stable )

i was hoping to reach atleast 3.6ghz can you guys help me with this ? please

btw my vcore voltages is on auto + everything else on 3.4ghz

my limits : i dont wanna overclock my ram

btw overclocking to 3.4ghz made no difference in temps

max temps reached with prime9 after a hour : c0 64c c1 57 c2 61 c4 62
max temps reached with OCCT after a hour : c0 57c c1 52 c2 54 c4 56

cpu-z shows vcore around : 1.248 - 1.256

Am i doing fine atm ? i dont really want to burn my system down :D

i need some help to get it to 3.6

Thanks

Last edited:
i was hoping to reach atleast 3.6ghz can you guys help me with this ? please

btw my vcore voltages is on auto + everything else on 3.4ghz

my limits : i dont wanna overclock my ram
First, get it off auto voltage for vcore!

Second, you may not want to overclock your ram, but, you may be doing so because of how overclocking on that platform works. In order to help you though, we need more information...

Please post screenshots (host them here, not 3rd party please) of CPUz. The first tab, memory, and spd tabs please.

First, get it off auto voltage for vcore!

Second, you may not want to overclock your ram, but, you may be doing so because of how overclocking on that platform works. In order to help you though, we need more information...

Please post screenshots (host them here, not 3rd party please) of CPUz. The first tab, memory, and spd tabs please.

Hey i forgot to say i also put my fsb strap to northbridge : 400 and dram on 1200mhz and its running as 666 3:5 atm on cpu z

and one of my ram slots has different speeds so i posted another one spd for it

cp.jpg

Attachments

• cp.jpg
    cp.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 452
I can't really find a decent Vcore to put it on it crashes on any vcore i tried but its stable on auto but i am gonna test it again

Update : 1.27500 vcore and seems like its stable now i am gonna give it more time but i expected less vcore to be honest

HWMonitor shows min-max : 1.216v - 1.264v

Update2
program crashed
trying : 1.28125 now

HWMonitor shows min-max : 1.216v - 1.272v

Update3
found one error on core 0
trying vcore : 1.28750

HWMonitor shows min-max : 1.224v - 1.280v

Update4
trying vcore : 1.29375

HWMonitor shows min-max : 1.224v - 1.280v

Stable 20min so far

Update5
trying vcore : 1.30000

HWMonitor shows min-max : 1.232v - 1.288v

Testing for a Hour now seems stable .

---------------------------------------------------------------

I am not gonna go higher unless you guys approve it
-------------------------------------------------

and i am still on 3.4ghz

Last edited:
looks like it is stable at 1066mhz dram and 1.30000v Vcore
now i want 3.6mhz but i can't go higher any suggestions ?

Update nope its not i am confused

Raise the cl on your ram to 10... you appear to have mismatched sticks. One is cl 10, the other cl9. Raise to 10...

its stable on auto voltage

Well ... Am i missing something ?

any suggestion about configs ?

Try 1.32v...

Or see if you are hitting a fsb wall and lower your cpu multiplier a few notches and push the fsb up.

I don't recall your board being a great one for overclocking so, you may be towards the end? The VRM area Fresno have a heatsink...p43 chipset...

Try 1.32v...

Or see if you are hitting a fsb wall and lower your cpu multiplier a few notches and push the fsb up.

I don't recall your board being a great one for overclocking so, you may be towards the end? The VRM area Fresno have a heatsink...p43 chipset...

I have tried up to 1.33v
400 "fsb" is it safe it put it higher ?
and 400 "fsb strap to northbridge"
i can't even reach 400 fsb when "fsb strap to northbridge" is less than 400
yes my mainboard is not great but i think its decent and should reach 3.6ghz idk
and how about VTT NB voltage etc ?>

Last edited:
Sorena,

400 FSB is safe...

As far as what, next, I am not sure. Its been years since I have been on that platform. The guide I linked, if followed, should be able to tell you what is holding you back.

I already mentioned how to tell if you are hitting a FSB wall... did you try that yet? Otherwise, I can only point you to the guide as that is what I am, essentially, following.

Sorena,

400 FSB is safe...

As far as what, next, I am not sure. Its been years since I have been on that platform. The guide I linked, if followed, should be able to tell you what is holding you back.

I already mentioned how to tell if you are hitting a FSB wall... did you try that yet? Otherwise, I can only point you to the guide as that is what I am, essentially, following.

Thank you for your time and help
I am trying what ever i can or feels safe and sorry for my questions :D because i am trying to learn what ever i can and i am so happy that you are explaining things for me
I am gonna learn more about this in everywhere i can and i will post results again here in afew hours or days
maybe you could tell me what i did wrong but i would be happy if you tell me in what ranges should i play with it for example what is the highest safe vcore for my cpu or something like that i dont wanna burn down my cpu in first try you know it FeelsBadMan and maybe makes me to dont wanna to do it again ever ! and i dont want that i actually love overclocking

my next question is what timing should i choose for Rams when i can't reach recommended clocks like 1066mhz or 1333mhz for example what should i choose for 1200mhz ?
because i wanna play around with fsb its gonna happen anyway

thanks again and sorry for my poor english

Hello again
First of all i wanna thank you guys for helps
and i am wondering what is the stuck vcore for Q9650
I found my cpu stable so far at 1.33150 Vcore with 3.46ghz core clock
NB 1.15v ( I had 1.10(standard) 1.15 1.20 1.25 options )
VTT 1.20v ( i had 1.20 and 1.30 options )
SB 1.50 ( i had 1.50 and 1.60 options )
------------------------------
Dram freq : 1228mhz at 8, 8, 8, 22 5:8
voltage : Auto
FSB : 385x9
fsb strap to northbridge : 333
This is my FSB wall with 333 strap
everything else on auto
-------------------------------
now i am wondering how did i do ? am i doing fine right now ? i am trying to reach 3.6ghz
i think vcore is high ? what can i do with it ?

CPUSS.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the name of the game is to find the lowest stable voltages for a given clockspeed... if you are there, then you are done. If not you have some work to do.

hi again
i am trying higher voltages now it should be still safe ? cuz intel site says safe voltages are from 0.8v to 1.36v
i am at 1.356vcore with 400x9
-------------------------------------
well it all failed up to 1.36125
-------------------------------------
i dont see anymore options unless you guys help me with it

Last edited:
The guide tells you voltage limits... for vcore, keep it under 1.4v.

What are your load temperatures?

The guide tells you voltage limits... for vcore, keep it under 1.4v.

What are your load temperatures?

its between 55-63 you can see that in that pic

"1.2-1.3V - for a FSB of ~400 MHz."
3.6ghz around 1.4 ? FeelsBadMan :(

Back