• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FallenDesigns

Registered
I want to overlock my fx 6100 cpu but i dont know how. Can someone help me overclock my CPU thanks for the help!

My comp:

AMD FX 6100

MSI R7950 TWIN FROZR 3GD5/OC

Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB Ram

MSI 970A-G46 MOTHERBOARD

Corsair H70 CPU Water Cooler

The first thing to do is to check max temps of the CPU under full load but at stock frequencies and voltages. Your H70 water cooler should do reasonably well for cooling unless it's not installed properly. Not uncommon for the water block to not be seated well. Best not take anything for granted.

So, first download and install these standard programs that most of us use around here to help overclock: CPU-z, HWMonitor, and Prime95.

Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Don't close HWMonitor yet. At the end of that time, post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. To attach a pic, first crop and save it with Snipping Tool which can be found in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window. That will load the advanced post window. Find the little paperclip tool at the top and click on it. That will load the file browser/uplink tool and the rest will be obvious. Then we can look with you at temps. There are two important ones: CPU (socket) temp and package (cpu cores).

Either TMPIN0 or TMPIN2 will correspond to your CPU socket temp (a generic label in this case) and since they both run identical to each other, it doesn't really make a difference which one. The package temp is very cool. That's good. The concern in this case is the TMPIN1 which may be the North Bridge temp. Watch that one as you overclock. You don't want it to exceed 80c.

Please directly attach your pics with you post. That's easiest for those helping you as they can see it at a glance rather than having to click on a link.

Looks like from your CPU vcore is fluctuating quite a bit so that tells me you need to turn off the "green" power saving, down-throttling stuff that messes with overclocking. So go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E, C6 and APM. Post back when you've done that and we'll get onto overclocking per se.

Don't see Turbo or APM per se. They may not be available in your bios or labeled atypically. I did see these other settings which may encompass those functions and you should disable them all:

OC Genie lite

CPU Smart Protection

CPU Power Phase Control (this may be APM)

Yes, you should have as many case fans installed as you can to produce a push pull effect from front down low to top/back high. Overall ventilation in case should be like this:

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,710
With a water block on the CPU socket, you should have a spot fan to blow directly on the VRM area between the socket and the rear edge of the board. I think there is a heatsink there but a fan blowing on it will help temps, maybe that 70c TMPIN1 temp.

Can you tell me which options to disable exactly while i install the fan and heres a picture of the eco settings thanks

As I said before, please attach pics directly with your post as I did in post #8. I gave you instructions in post #2 as to how to do that.

Can you tell me which options to disable exactly while i install the fan and heres a picture of the eco settings thanks

I told you exactly which setting to disable in post #7. I got them right from your online manual for that board. Is it actually different in your bios?

I'll be back later. Going to a Christmas eve service at church.

So where should i put the fan and should it suck air out or blow air in?

2012-12-24 21.47.jpg

2012-1aaaaaa2-24 21.43.jpg

What do you mean is it different in your bios im using click bios 2.

Should i disable only these:

OC Genie lite

CPU Smart Protection

CPU Power Phase Control

Disable those three things in addition to what you already disabled in bios.

Your case ventilation is inappropriate as it is. In fact, you have no case ventilation as it is. Your radiator fan is pushing air into the case and so is your front fan. They are cancelling each other. It would be better to turn the front fan around and have it blow out. And if you have a top fan it would be good to have it blow down into the case. And if you have a side panel fan, have it blow down on the motherboard. Normally, we like to take advantage of the fact that warm air rises but with a water loop it is generally a good idea to pull cool air in from the outside through the radiator so to reverse the normal flow pattern like my attachment shows may be best. You would also benefit from some better cable/wire management. Tuck as much stuff behind the motherboard tray as you can or down low or into unused drive bays. You are obstructing air flow as it is.

THIS.jpg

I organized the wires and put the ones i could on the back of the motherboard and i changed the front fan so it sucks air out and i installed the 120mm fan on the top blowing down.

Wow, what an improvement in the cable mangagement! Good job!

Disable "AMD Turbo Core Technology". That's one of the key ones we were looking for earlier.

Ventilation looks appropriate now.

Okay, now let's do some baseline temp testing. Please open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a Prime95 "blend" stress test for 20 minutes. Don't close HWMonitor before you crop and capture an image of it to disc. Snipping tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then attach the image of HWMonitor with your next post. Let's see what max temps and voltages are under load before you proceed to overclock.

Wait a minute. Looks like in bios your ram is set to only 1066 mhz. That's low. What is the ram rated for? 1333? 1600? 1866?

Back