• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The FX Bulldozers don't do a lot more after about 4.3Ghz. The jury is still out on the PileDriver FX's.

This has not been specifically stated but when we think of scaling we expect the amount on the X axis to produce a linear or straight line upwards movement ie Scaling of the Y axis or result.

What the majority of BD cpus seem to do is as you iincrease the Cpu Mhz beyond ~4.3Ghz the performance increase per Mhz speed increase, diminishes. So the result beyond approximately 4.3Ghz is some amount of increase in performance but hardly enough to balance out the greatly increased temperatures put off by the Cpu because of increased Mhz plus the hefty voltage increase needed to stabilize the cpu beyond 4.3Ghz. And when you get to 4.5Ghz it takes another huge Vcore increase to get beyond that speed toward 4.7Ghz and again still poor scaling with extra temps from extra Vcore.

I best remember it in my head like when I used to put a cam in a 454 Chevrolet motor that made power up to about 6,400RPM but the motor would rev to 7,200RPM. Everyone said why don't you turn that motor on up there. Run 7,000 plus RPM? The simple answer was the power making was done by 6,400 RPM and any further RPM/Mhz was about useless and in fact when referring to an engine, the elapsed times actually got bigger/worse when pushed beyond the power making speed of the engine in RPM of the engine. So from years of racing and building engines I have many crutches to help me keep certain aspecs of "overclocking" relevant in my mind.

RGone...ster.

Correct RG yes i had a small block racing engine bored and stroked and the power curve was set from 1,850 to 6200 Rpm on the dyno test bed! Also run a special size Diff in the back as well, back on top pick 4.2 or 4.3 as i said the other day! AJ.

The FX Bulldozers don't do a lot more after about 4.3Ghz. The jury is still out on the PileDriver FX's.

This has not been specifically stated but when we think of scaling we expect the amount on the X axis to produce a linear or straight line upwards movement ie Scaling of the Y axis or result.

What the majority of BD cpus seem to do is as you iincrease the Cpu Mhz beyond ~4.3Ghz the performance increase per Mhz speed increase, diminishes. So the result beyond approximately 4.3Ghz is some amount of increase in performance but hardly enough to balance out the greatly increased temperatures put off by the Cpu because of increased Mhz plus the hefty voltage increase needed to stabilize the cpu beyond 4.3Ghz. And when you get to 4.5Ghz it takes another huge Vcore increase to get beyond that speed toward 4.7Ghz and again still poor scaling with extra temps from extra Vcore.

I best remember it in my head like when I used to put a cam in a 454 Chevrolet motor that made power up to about 6,400RPM but the motor would rev to 7,200RPM. Everyone said why don't you turn that motor on up there. Run 7,000 plus RPM? The simple answer was the power making was done by 6,400 RPM and any further RPM/Mhz was about useless and in fact when referring to an engine, the elapsed times actually got bigger/worse when pushed beyond the power making speed of the engine in RPM of the engine. So from years of racing and building engines I have many crutches to help me keep certain aspecs of "overclocking" relevant in my mind.

RGone...ster.

Good analogy. After a certain point component design limitations set in on an engine and on a CPU. I understand the BD CPU's limiting factor is lack of fine "tuning" of the L3 cache so that it can't handle more data efficiently in the "high RPM ranges".

Ill just stay at 4.2ghz and maybe later i will consider a upgrade on my cpu and motherboard but later. :p What would you recommend for a CPU though just out of curiosity

What are you using the system for mainly? Games? AV rendering? Casual computing.

Games and Maya/Photoshop/After Effects i dont want something too expensive im looking for something really good for the price

the 3570k is a quad core is that a big difference?

Is there any new processors coming out soon?

What motherboard would you suggest for intel processors?

the 3570k is a quad core is that a big difference?

Is there any new processors coming out soon?

What motherboard would you suggest for intel processors?
Both are quad cores. The only real difference is the i7 has hyperthreading.

I'm not much on Intel boards, really. Just as long as you keep with a reputable manufacturer, and get a Z77 chipset, then done deal; the rest is just what sort of features you want.

Back