• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks you answered right on time i was about to test my cpu on 4.4ghz should i stay at 4.3 or go back to 4.2ghz cause 4.3ghz was pretty stable.

Actually it is of no matter to me what Mhz you run your cpu at. They are your parts and you paid for them. I wrote what I felt personally and even added an EDIT or two. After that they are your monies in the system and I don't feel it our place to tell you where you 'must' run your stuff. RGone...

You see other people FD can get up set some times and that's why we are careful in what we say! We know you can only go so far because i looked at your Mobo and so as my good friend RGone as well. So as long as its stable it works don't push it OK! AJ. Bye now. :thup:

im going to stay at 4.2ghz thanks for your help i could of screwed up my system

You write >> I could of screwed up my system.

I write >> The problem is with the word 'could'. Could can translate as might happen; there is a chance of something not good happening based on previous information or maybe you likely will suffer some failure after a period of time. The truth is not the first one of us really knows what the outcome may actually be in a week or a month or a year and the board is out of warranty if pushed hard. So I only make the 'suggestion' that you not hammer the board with a big overclock and then it is a case of something will almsot surely n0t happen. Two entirely different ways to look at the same situation.

You see other people FD can get up set some times and that's why we are careful in what we say! We know you can only go so far because i looked at your Mobo and so as my good friend RGone as well. So as long as its stable it works don't push it OK! AJ. Bye now. :thup:

Why do people get upset over this. I dont get it :p

You write >> I could of screwed up my system.

I write >> The problem is with the word 'could'. Could can translate as might happen; there is a chance of something not good happening based on previous information or maybe you likely will suffer some failure after a period of time. The truth is not the first one of us really knows what the outcome may actually be in a week or a month or a year and the board is out of warranty if pushed hard. So I only make the 'suggestion' that you not hammer the board with a big overclock and then it is a case of something will almsot surely n0t happen. Two entirely different ways to look at the same situation.

What is a "big" OC?

If you believe that something bad could happen to the board and it should not be relied on?

What do you think is the best option?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_335&item_id=042705

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_335&item_id=042746

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_335&item_id=039915

Thanks!

Because they don't like being told they have bought some thing that not capable of doing the job! And is no more than a paper weight when it comes to supplying the voltage and current. No good what you posted, need to look at is something like this? AJ. :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

These are the type of boards you need, just read the review "Japanese Caps high quality gold standard"! Built for the FX series look at what the guy's saying great board etc. If you want to learn i will help you, if you check these boards are on the list i posted you will see its all in the green OK. ;)

Last edited:
These would fit into a mid tower right? I know its a stupid question but i want to be sure :p

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard << That looks like a pretty good board for it's price. Never had one and don't intend to currently but it seems better than a lot of others overall.

Personnel choice and price that's all both i have seen recomended on this section before, but much better than you have now! And yes they are ATX Standard boards to fit your case as well.

What do you mean by personal choice? Is there no big difference and is the GIGABYTE worth the 20$ more?

Simple so guy's like one kind of Mobo Company to another i.e. say i like Asus you like Gigabyte that sort of thing! So thats why i gave you a choice of boards go with what you like. What color or what ever you want so long as it can get the job done. Is the Giga worth $20 more honest answer, i do not really know, but it has the right 8+2 to do the job!

As RGone said we can only advise you, you have to make the decisions yourself!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot i think im going to get that! How would i put the new motherboard in without having format my computer. I installed lots of stuff and changed settings and stuff on windows and i really dont want to do that all again.

Well my friend that's a all new ball game and some what beyond my knowledge to be honest. But you could stay a bit with what you have and buy the other board in the mean time. So this is what i would do buy that board and then chat to the members on here how to. Swap things over before you do anything its not that you have to do this like the next day so to speak FD. So enjoy your OC for now and then prepare for what you want to do next alright? OK i have to go now so just think about what you want and plan ahead for now. See you soon AJ.

FallenD, people who do a lot of benchmarking are saying that after 4.3 ghz the FX CPUs really fall off with regard to the performance to overclock ratio. That is to say, you will gain very little performance while producing much more heat and stress on your system if you push it beyond 4.3 ghz. Personally, if it was easy to get it stable at 4.3 with your present motherboard, I would run it at 4.3 and see what happens. It may last a long time. Who knows? Those cool temps are certainly in your favor. I just thought you might want to factor that in before you throw down $120 on a new board in order to get one or two tenths of a gigahertz more on your overclock with almost no performance gain. The FX CPUs just don't scale well beyond 4.3.

Back