• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im watching CPU-Z while im runnning the test and the multiplier switching 15 to 21 its weird do you guys know why its doing that?

This is what i got without the fan so i guess the hdd cage, wire management, flipping of the PSU and taking of the flap cover really made a big difference the fan barely made any difference. Now i can feel air coming through the spot that the flap cover was on. So whats next?

Attachments

• without the fan.PNG
    without the fan.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I did some more wire management and got this so im going to continue overclocking the cpu now :)

Attachments

• MORE WIRE MANAGEMEnT.PNG
    MORE WIRE MANAGEMEnT.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 68
This is what i got without the fan so i guess the hdd cage, wire management, flipping of the PSU and taking of the flap cover really made a big difference the fan barely made any difference. Now i can feel air coming through the spot that the flap cover was on. So whats next?

Flap cover?

its a cover you have to open to use the cd-rom check the case out online I increase the multiplier to 21.5 and went 1 higher on voltage gonna test it now

Should i keep going i increased the voltage a few times to be stable at 4.3ghz?

Attachments

• 4.3ghz.PNG
    4.3ghz.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 65
Well I have no experience with BD/PD, but just from what I've read all your temps look to be well within spec, so I don't see why you couldn't keep going.

But again, most likely best to wait on some advice from someone with first hand knowledge on the voltage/speed limits of your particular chip.

FD Buddy i mean 4.1 Ghz or 4.2 Ghz so relax its me talking to the other guy's OK! Good luck in what your doing just carry on with Trents hes a great guy. AJ.

Look FD just forget what i said i will delete my posts, just carry on with Trents and the others that's helping you sorry OK. AJ.

Look the point i am humbly trying to make and doing a bad job of it, is that your limited by your boards power phases! So do not expect to overclock to high that's all sorry again. Because i did not want to up set you that's all! AJ.

P.S. Can we leave it at that, and no keep your Mobo its fine!

Why would you upset me :p i wouldnt get upset over a 60$ board. This is information i need to learn so when i buy another board i can make a better decission. Should i keep OC ing or should i stay at 4.3ghz and what exactly is power phasing? Thanks

Hey i should have not posted or stuck my nose in where it does not belong, and yes i feel a bit embarrassed right now FD! Some AMD Mobo's have better power phases or in simple terms getting power to the CPU right. So for next time before you buy you have to look for 8+2 on the list i posted. This all helps for when you come to overclock you set up as some AMD CPU's use a lot of Voltage and current. So therefore they need to have a good board to deliver and supply that Voltage and current to the CPU? AJ.

P.S. Look i have to go here soon, if you want to ask anything else i will catch you later. But just carry on and see how far you get with your OC don't give up!

Last edited:
What AJ is saying is that board is weak where voltage is stepped down from +12V to the Vcore you set in bios and then must regulate the current thru the VRM (voltage regulation module) to supply current to the board at the set voltage. In general the more power phases of the VRM circuit, the 'beefier' the board is and able to handle that power draw cleanly, accurately and effectively. Cheap and cheaper boards today are not built to withstand the power of 6 core FX's and certainly not the current hungry 8 core FX's when pushed under heavy current loading.

The problem with some of the earlier and probably also today's cheap MSI boards is that the Mosfets in the VRM circuit actually vaporize, explode nearly and a chunk of the outer shell of the mosfet just disappears due to high current passing thru it. Not funny for sure if it takes other components down with it.

Now that is what AJ is talking about. Your board would have likely been just lovely for a 4 core denab processor, but is likely very under-built for the rigors of REALLY pushing a 6 core or 8 core FX processor. Just not beefy enough construction in general.
EDIT: And that board would do quite well if you got overclocking off the brain. Or a reasonable overclock. You could put the 6100 in the socket of that mobo and run it as AMD built the processor to run and be used and the board could run nearly forever or as long as a mobo is expected to run.
END EDIT.

If you keep trying to go higher and higher instead of staying at a reasonable 4.2Ghz if it is truly stable there and is not needing much more than 1.475 Vcore, then you could have board failure. OR in this is truly a possiblity, you get just a little faster and it becomes a very much trial and error to find stability because the power to the cpu is not effective and you can hardly see it without a scope and we all run around in circles chasing our tails looking for why the stuff won't go faster. Neither the first nor the second result is worth a crap. About it, overall.

Thanks you answered right on time i was about to test my cpu on 4.4ghz should i stay at 4.3 or go back to 4.2ghz cause 4.3ghz was pretty stable.

Thats what i was trying to say to you FD. Thanks for the RGone...ster!

Don't push it read the above please!!!!

Back