• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To be honest, I have found side panel fans to often disrupt healthy air flow patterns and to generally do more harm than good. I don't use them any more. I just use fans in the front, rear and top panels and then spot fans for hot spots. RGone will tell you the same thing about side panel fans. The only time I would use a side panel fan is to cool a video card that was having overheating problems. I would put the 50mm fan on the heat sink itself and if you have another 50mm fan put one on the other heat sink too, the North Bridge heat sink. Those two areas of the motherboard get pretty hot and contribute overall heat to the things around them.

Alright, bubba. As far as airflow goes, I would suggest ditching the top 200 and putting two 120s exhausting. On the back, put your radiator with a push fan exhausting through the radiator.

I can't find if you can put any 120s or 140s on the front, but that 200 isn't helping anything IMO. I can't stand them. Yes, they move a lot of air, but they don't move it at any useful velocity.

Next, you need to re-do all your cable management. Make sure your PSU fan is facing down through that dust filter on the bottom. That will keep all its air circulation self contained and not mess up any of the air paths inside the case.

Remove the top hard drive cage and put your HDD(s) in the bottom cage. It looks like you only have one drive, so that's all the mounting spots you need.

Lastly, if you still need some air flow, buy one of those 3-to-4 5.25"-to-3.5" drive cages with a front 120mm fan. You only have 1 optical drive, and 4 5.25" slots, so that will be perfect.

I must have missed something, because I don't see how you can mount a fan to your side panel since it's windowed and has no slots. Forget that. Side fans are for cooling your GPU. Just get a front/bottom-to-back/top path going. 120s and 140s are your best bet. Don't worry about lights or any of that junk, just get good fans. If you still want lights, buy some LED strips and tape them in the case.

Getting air moving through your case is NOT hard. Just don't over think it.
I don't even suggest spot fans. Just keep air moving through the case and you'll be fine. That's why I say 120mm fans. They actually produce velocity. And you need to get a good static pressure fan for the radiator.

Ben62884, this is certainly nOt the thread to be posting in. Too too many variables that likely have n0thing at all to do with how your system is functioning. Start your own thread. Run Prime 95 in Blend mode and then post by attaching to the forum your captures of CPUz (3 captures). CPUz CPU Tab, CPUz Memory Tab and CPUz SPD Tab. AND a capture of HWMonitor (Freeware) which is open on the desktop DURING run of P95 in Blend mode for 20 mins and then HWMonitor captured and HWM showing All voltages and down thru the CPU "package" temp. Four captures in all.

Then we can deal with your questions in an environment that is not so dang odd and wierd as the cpu/mobo/cooling situation as this thread is exhibiting. Thank you and welcome to OCF.
An excellent example of what a 4 capture post of needed info best looks like.
LOL.. Originally I had made my own thread asking for help and a MOD locked the thread, telling me to come to this thread since it was "so similar"... I thought it was awfully weird for my thread askingh for help to get locked in the first place... but Ill go ahead and make a new one here in a bit. I will come back with the link to my thead, any help would be greatly appreciated. Will be posting screen caps you asked for as well.

LOL.. Originally I had made my own thread asking for help and a MOD locked the thread, telling me to come to this thread since it was "so similar"... I thought it was awfully weird for my thread askingh for help to get locked in the first place... but Ill go ahead and make a new one here in a bit. I will come back with the link to my thead, any help would be greatly appreciated. Will be posting screen caps you asked for as well.

That is freeken odd. He must not be one that has to help much or he would not have locked your thread. Don't think I even saw it. Locked does not mean invisible. You post it in the AMD CPU forum section or the AMD Mobo section and we almost always FIND it.

Alright, bubba. As far as airflow goes, I would suggest ditching the top 200 and putting two 120s exhausting. On the back, put your radiator with a push fan exhausting through the radiator.

I can't find if you can put any 120s or 140s on the front, but that 200 isn't helping anything IMO. I can't stand them. Yes, they move a lot of air, but they don't move it at any useful velocity.

Next, you need to re-do all your cable management. Make sure your PSU fan is facing down through that dust filter on the bottom. That will keep all its air circulation self contained and not mess up any of the air paths inside the case.

Remove the top hard drive cage and put your HDD(s) in the bottom cage. It looks like you only have one drive, so that's all the mounting spots you need.

Lastly, if you still need some air flow, buy one of those 3-to-4 5.25"-to-3.5" drive cages with a front 120mm fan. You only have 1 optical drive, and 4 5.25" slots, so that will be perfect.

I must have missed something, because I don't see how you can mount a fan to your side panel since it's windowed and has no slots. Forget that. Side fans are for cooling your GPU. Just get a front/bottom-to-back/top path going. 120s and 140s are your best bet. Don't worry about lights or any of that junk, just get good fans. If you still want lights, buy some LED strips and tape them in the case.

Getting air moving through your case is NOT hard. Just don't over think it.
I don't even suggest spot fans. Just keep air moving through the case and you'll be fine. That's why I say 120mm fans. They actually produce velocity. And you need to get a good static pressure fan for the radiator.

Ok can you help me make some stuff more clear before i start changing everything. First i will give you some more detail about my fan setup

So first i only have 3 120mm fans 2 of them are 2000 rpm and are on the radiator pushing air in to the case. 1 is currently mounted on the side which i will take off that fan is 1200rpm.

I have 2 200mm one of them is 700rpm and one is 1500rpm, one is on the top and one on the front, the front one (1500rpm) is pushing air out of the case, and the top one (700rpm) is pushing air in to the case

I have 1 3500rpm 70mm fan that is currently not plugged in. I took it from my old CPU Cooler

I have the power supply fan.

I only have 2 system fan spots and 1 CPU fan spot on the MOBO the 2 2000rpm 120mm fans are connected to the CPU fan port with a splitter that came with the H70 CPU Cooler. The 2 200mm fans are connected to the System Fan port 1 with a splitter i bought. The 120mm that is connected to the side is connected to System Fan 2.

For the side fan i made little stands with the tape so it could be a spot fan hitting straight on the motherboard.

I will number the questions so that its easier to understand and communicate with eachother

1- You want me to put the radiator fans so that they are pushing air out of the case.

2- Is there a huge difference between the 200mm and the 120mm because i dont want to go out and get extra fans just for a tiny difference?

3- By saying "front/bottom-to-back/top path" do you mean bottom and front fans suck in air into the case and top and back fans suck the air out of the case?

4- What do you mean redo all my cable management i just fixed it :p Like where should i put the cables?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Performance vs. noise is the main question to answer with regard to fans. Fans generating below about 30 db of noise are pretty quiet. Other questions to grapple with have to do with bearing design and longevity vs. cost. Sleeve bearing fans generally don't last as long as other bearing designs such as ball bearing and fluid dynamic.

I will number the questions so that its easier to understand and communicate with eachother

1- You want me to put the radiator fans so that they are pushing air out of the case.

2- Is there a huge difference between the 200mm and the 120mm because i dont want to go out and get extra fans just for a tiny difference?

3- By saying "front/bottom-to-back/top path" do you mean bottom and front fans suck in air into the case and top and back fans suck the air out of the case?

4- What do you mean redo all my cable management i just fixed it :p Like where should i put the cables?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

1. Yes
2. In my experience, yes. Like I said, the big fans are good for lots of air quietly, but when you're having trouble cooling off your board components like you are, you need air velocity to move across the board. That's where 120/140 fans come in. Make sure you actually have the mounting provisions for the smaller fans first, though.
3. Precisely.
4. Behind the motherboard tray. Attached is a quick example of cable management in your case I found in Google. You want to keep as many obstructions out of the airflow path as possible. That's why the case manufacturers give you room behind the motherboard tray and the routing holes.

Again, I would also recommend taking out the top hard drive cage. To see what I mean, again refer to the attached photo. See the cage where the SSD is mounted? Take that out. Mount your SSDs/HDDs in just the bottom cage. Only install the top cage if you have more than 2-3 drives.

An example of one of the 5.25" cages I was referring to is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817996019

Obviously you'd want to choose something more appropriate to your personal needs/wants, I just linked a quick example.

jKRgLwanNY9gg.jpg

Edit:
Looking at that picture, I don't see a single reason why you're having problems. Even with the big fans, you should be set. Your power supply fan needs to be facing down, you should only need one fan on the radiator exhausting (since that's not your thermal barrier in this process [as of right now]), your top fan should be exhausting, and your front fan should be intaking.

Clean up your cable management, take out any unnecessary hardware (thinking specifically about that drive cage), and that should be it.

If you don't have enough fan headers on the motherboard, just use a molex adapter to hook it directly to the PSU. Nothing wrong with that. You don't specifically need to hook up to the motherboard.

I didnt change the fan direction yet but i took out the hdd cage cleaned it up a bit more put the PSU fan facing down and put the 70mm fan on the heatsink gonna run a test now then im going to change fan directions and run another test ill be back with test results soon :). I also took out the front flap cause it was very annoying having to open it up each time you want to put a cd in also i think i can attach a fan there cause i have 3 slots open so i might attach the 120mm fan there. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• LOLOLOL.jpg
    LOLOLOL.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
my computer crashed around 15mins in to the test but my tmpin1 was around 51C so i increased the voltage and started the test again

I got 51C thats about 15C lower than before im going to flip the fans tomorrow and do the test again because its 5:17 am right now. Thank a lot really big change in temp

Attachments

• YESSSSSS.PNG
    YESSSSSS.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 73
Huge jump. That's much better. So all you did was flip the PSU, remove the HDD cage, and clean up your wiring?
The fan direction may only be worth 1 or 2*C, it's not THAT big of a deal, it's just the convention. You're just fighting the natural convection outside your case, but again, only worth 1 or 2* in my experience.

FallenDesigns you better give "Black C5 Z06" a hearty thank you for his direction in lowering those temps. Glad you listened to him, the results are huge in lowering that Cpu socket temp.

FallenDesigns you better give "Black C5 Z06" a hearty thank you for his direction in lowering those temps. Glad you listened to him, the results are huge in lowering that Cpu socket temp.
Eh, it was no big thing on my part. All I did was type on a keyboard. Fallen's the one doing all the work.

I just hope trents can help him get his OC knocked out. Always good to have another enthusiast into the fold.

Eh, it was no big thing on my part. All I did was type on a keyboard. Fallen's the one doing all the work.

I just hope trents can help him get his OC knocked out. Always good to have another enthusiast into the fold.

Another enthusiast is certainly a good thing. RGone.

That was great to watch and i hope others are taking note as well. What a difference a HDD Cage and cable management makes to Airflow all round. AJ.

I also put the 70mm fan on the heatsink so that might of helped im going to unplug that fan to see how much of a difference the hdd cage wire management and the flipping of the PSU had on the temp!

Back