• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an i7-2600k with an Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 within the BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tightened the fasteners on the CPU block and tried to find my multiplier again. The block wasnt on tight enough. As a matter of fact, at just 3.8 Ghz the temps were in the low 90s. Anyway, I reseated the CPU block and found my multiplier at 54....but I made some changes. I upped the CPU PII voltage to 1.803 because that is what the default setting was at, and instead of setting the vcore at 1.6v, I set it to offset mode at +.400v. I even set a new SuperPI 1M persona record.

Now I have to tinker more and see how far I can push this so i can beat my new personal best SuperPI 1M record!

If you set the offset to be +.4v what did it end up being? that could be incredibly high.

That is very very high voltage, don't bet on the CPU lasting long at all if you try to bench at that level unless it is under extreme cooling.

Would H2O be considered extreme?

I only run it at those settings for a few minutes at a time to benchmark, then drop down to 1.4v and 4.5Ghz

Well, if I was able to run at those speed with thta voltage, how can I get the same speeds with less voltage to the vcore?

you just keep decreasing the vcore until it isn't stable enough to run the benchmarks anymore. Just be very careful with the temps.

It varies too much to say with any accuracy what your temps should be. It depends on cooling, ambient temps, voltage, etc....

The same rule applies though, keep it around mid 80s for benching/stress testing.

under load or idling?

If it was hitting high 60s under 100% benchmarking load then that should be OK. Obviously those shouldn't be 24/7 clocks, but if you are just benchmarking at those speeds it should be okay under short times. A couple quick tips - most of the old benchmarks don't benefit from more than 2cores/2threads so you can disable hyperthreading and just leave 2 cores enabled until you start hitting 3dM06 (or higher), Wprime, and UCBench

I opened coretemp at boot, and again right after running SuperPI 1M, and the temps were 67-69 each time

watch the temps while it is under load, not right after. do a run of 32m as it is more stressful than 1m (cancel it mid-run if your temps start getting too high)

Spot on Janus... You will notice that temps drop IMMEDIATELY after the bench is done so even a couple of seconds the temps will drops 10s of degrees. No way do I believe temps in the 60's at 1.69v and 5.3Ghz. No way (with normal ambient temps).

Can you help me clocking I7 2600k to 4.4-4.5GHz CM 212 AC MX4.
Now I use these settings, but bsod - wathdog timeout.

Load optimized CPU OC - disabled
CPU Ratio - 44
Host clock override BLCK - 100
Spread Spectrum - Auto
Intel speedstep - Enabled
Intel Turbo - Boost - Enabled
Additional turbo voltage - Auto
Internal PLL voltage - Disabled
Long Duration Power limit - 250
Long Duration Mainboard - Auto
Short Duration Power limit - 250
Primary and Secondary Current limit - Auto