• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CPU , have to do Ram as well ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi overclockers members , i am preparing to overclock my Core 2 DUO 3.16Ghz to a higher speed in the future.

my Ram is basic Corsair Value Select 4GB 667mhz

ive never overclocked before and was wondering if i overclock the CPU does the Ram have to be overclocked too ?..........

any tips help

Can you post your motherboard and a few more details about your set up, so the members can help you. Thanks.

AJ.

hi Ajay , no problemo

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500 3.16GHZ 6MB 1333FSB Socket LGA775
MB - Asus P5K-SE
RAM - Corsair DDR2 4GB PC-5300/667 (2x2GB) Value Select RAM

chat soon

In your case w/ a E8500 and DDR2-667, you don't have any choice. Considering a 1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio and a E8500 w/ a default FSB of 333MHz, this means the effective DRAM frequency is DDR2-667MHz (333MHz x 2). So as you raise the FSB, the DRAM frequency will also increase at the same 1:1 ratio. For example at a FSB of 350MHz, the effective DRAM frequency will be DDR2-700. A FSB of 400MHz = an effective DRAM frequency of DDR2-800, and so on. You can try loosening the timings and / or increasing the DRAM voltage if and when Memtest86+ fails, but you'd be better off selling the DDR2-667 and picking up some DDR2-800 or better.

great info redduc , if im correct to overclock to 4Ghz .............DDR2-800 is ideal ?

thats what im aiming for in terms of CPU speed

If you look through this post it might give you a idea about your Memory and what you could up grade too.

1, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5K_SE/

I would save this as it lists all the later CPU's you could up grade to and your choice of memory as well!! Happy Reading.

AJ.

thanks Ajay57 i totally forgot to check the QVL ............

when i first got my built i got 1GB Corsair and later on took out the 1GB and i upgraded to 2X2GB Corsair both 1GB and the 2x2GB are Value Select.

the QVL seems outdated and all my Ram is not on the list , theres 2 models of Corsair DDR2-800 i can get............

Corsair DDR2 2GB PC-6400/800 Value Select RAM (VS2GB800D2)

and

Corsair DDR2 4GB PC-6400/800 XMS2 (TWIN2X4096-6400C5C) RAM

can someone help me find out if these are compatible with my MB ........... ?

QVL lists are MEH. 99% of ram (that is of the right type of course) will work. The QVL list simply pushes that to 100%. All it means is that those sticks were tested on that board by the MFG. If a set is not on the list, that does not mean it will not work, just that it was not tested.

I would go with this one, because it has a lifetime warranty and it would work with your Motherboard. You could order 2 x pairs for 8 GB of ram, but i think that would depend on what type of OS your using!

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145184

i can get these locally ( Australia ) and i do like the lifetime warranty as well.........

i would go 8GB for sure but im using XP so its 4 for now , this is for my second PC which is a MAME PC ill have to look into how Win 7 handles 15k resolutions

QVL lists are MEH. 99% of ram (that is of the right type of course) will work. The QVL list simply pushes that to 100%. All it means is that those sticks were tested on that board by the MFG. If a set is not on the list, that does not mean it will not work, just that it was not tested.

thanks for that info EarthDog i didnt know that

Back