• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking for the first time, running into problems :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you running stock and not overclocked, your screen shot is overclocked to 4.0GHz it should be 3.7 GHz.

Everything is default stock, mobo is still at stock 0601 BIOS version, etc. So Here are the results of the Intel CPU testing:

Photo-Aug-30,-1-04-12-AM.jpg

So I now know I know nothing, I really thought I finally narrowed it down to the CPU... Is Memtest86 V7.1 buggy or something? I've tested everything... I'm so at a loss :(

Pass mark memtest86 works fine. I had trouble with the PC in my signature it passed all the tests and in my case it was the memory that I had to RMA solve the problem even though the memory test passed, so you can't trust the Intel test all the time.

You tried everything else, it's hard to believe you have had two bad sets of memory. I would do a cross ship RMA with your i7-6900k, Intel is great to work with vary easy and painless, I just did a CPU RMA last week. Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

Thank you wingman99 :) I really do appreciate. I'll RMA the CPU tomorrow but I did however run some testes inside of windows, check this: currentTesting.jpg

System hasn't froze or crashed, going to keep this test going for an hour, would it be ok to run it over night?

Ok so, It's not my memory (tried two different brands), it's not my Mobo (bought a second one to trouble shoot), I unhooked all SSDs from the mobo and I even swapped out GPUs to see if maybe that was the issue. Is it safe to say its the CPU?
So to be clear, it happened on both motherboards and you tried both sets of memory in both boards, correct? Are you certain you seated the ram fully?

If you try to run p95 blend, does it hang up there too as that tests memory or does it just hang in mem test?

Best of the best for you means nothing but being $300 short..the board is made for extreme overclocking (dry ice and ln2) and has features you are paying for which you will never touch. A quality $300 board is plenty.

Edit: how did the testing go overnight?

So to be clear, it happened on both motherboards and you tried both sets of memory in both boards, correct? Are you certain you seated the ram fully?

That is correct, same thing. Absolutely, I looked over the mobo and all connections with a fine tooth comb.

If you try to run p95 blend, does it hang up there too as that tests memory or does it just hang in mem test?

I haven't tested p95 yet just AIDA64. I know M$ has a memory testing program and I'm also going to try memtest+ vs memtest86. I'll report back my findings.

Best of the best for you means nothing but being $300 short..the board is made for extreme overclocking (dry ice and ln2) and has features you are paying for which you will never touch. A quality $300 board is plenty.

well besides extreme OCing what else does this board have that I wouldn't use (just curious for learning). What $300+ board would you recommend?

how did the testing go overnight?

I ran AIDA64 for 13hrs: currentTest.jpg

The hottest the CPU got was 69c @ 3.6GHz.

The ASUS X99 Strix for $335... or any of these first 5 minus the Supermicro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... motherboards&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

or any of these top 5 again minus a super micro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...motherboards&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=36

All of those overclocking features really... you are paying through the nose for a bentley when all you need is a civic... but, get an accord (Strix). LOL!

What with all these car analogies, lol!

Joke apart, E_D is right.

Notice the Extreme6/3.1 is 50 bucks cheaper than the Extreme4....

Back